to the amy winehouse critics

wavescamecrashingwavescamecrashing Posts: 440
edited September 2007 in Other Music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I can't watch it coz I'm in work, but I'm pretty sure it won't make me like her music.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

i cant watch it at work either but "chew on that"?... is she now as thin as a Pepperami? is it one of her mangled veins i've to chew on?

the suspense is killing me... a bit like her i suppose, but replace 'suspense' with 'hard drugs'
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • when i first saw her i thought she was sarah silverman or whatever her name is and it was some kinda gag she was pulling. i highly doubt sarah could sing like that but still with all the studio magic its possible.

either way winehouse does nothing for me. i dont care about her drug thing, nor her music.

i dont know what i was supposed to get out of that but she seemed as bored singing that song as i was watching it.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    She has a very good voice but havent been really grabbed by any of her songs. My mum's a big fan though!
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Love that song, great album too....Mark Ronson's "Version".

I was kind of ho-hum on Amy until I saw her at Coachella, she really impressed me. Hell of a voice.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I loved that. She really does have an amazing voice.
    I just want to wash her hair so badly....
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    the songs Ive heard her sing are ok,I wonder to what extent her "problems" exist in reality. having seen what supposed adverse publicity has done for pete doherty her situation seems to bear similarities: theres the also-drugged other-half who flits about, tantrums, missed shows and the tabloid interest.

The publicity has also served to give her credibility above the teen market and the joss stones( think she has a remarkable voice too)& lily allens(fuckin terrible).
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    eh, i'm indifferent to the girl. no opinion whatsoever despite having heard rehab a few times. one thing i can opine on is she's being a f*cking loser and throwing here life/career away right now. hope she decides to pull herself out of the gutter and enjoy the success her music is having right now. lay off the crack pipe, giiiirrrrrllll. then take a look in the mirror FOR ONCE.

speaking of 'chew', she should really think about doing that. you know, like chewing on a pork chop or something. oh, and make sure to swallow it, too.
  • Love her heroin-induced snarl.
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    not critics, its called people who know what talent is.
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    not critics, its called people who know what talent is.

Who decides what talent is? You might not like her but she has a good voice undeniably.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    i've always disliked her on vh1 when they showed the video (her rehab) song

but I thought valerie sounded good. that was my first time to hear it too.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    I loved the voice, even before I got a chance to see what she was all about. To ea his own, but I love her music!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • stu gee wrote:
    Who decides what talent is? You might not like her but she has a good voice undeniably.

good is subjective. just cause she can hit notes doesnt mean she is a 'good' singer. i found her voice annoying, but i like jello biafras voice. so whatever. and if pure vocal talent made good singers we would be listening to charlotte church and celine dion not pj and neil young. i think she is higly overrated and honestly her voice reminds me of the old down south black woman church choirs. just not my cup of tea.

and who ever mention the hype to the drug thing i agree with that. i think its all press to get her name out. i wouldnt be surprised if her agent or the market team on her label pushed this story more than it would have been. she became more famous cause of her drugs than her music. seems like a standard pop music tactic. find an image to sell the record. a few years ago there was this girl named bif naked, i dont think had the drug problem but she had the whole bad girl image. i guess main stream music needed another bad girl cause 'x-tina' is boring now.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    I like her sound. I was really looking forward to seeing her, but my tickets are being refunded because she cancelled her US tour. She can't keep her shit together long enough to do anything these days. Unfortunately I'm guessing she'll be dead by next year, so I'll never get to see her live. Bummer.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    good is subjective. just cause she can hit notes doesnt mean she is a 'good' singer. i found her voice annoying, but i like jello biafras voice. so whatever. and if pure vocal talent made good singers we would be listening to charlotte church and celine dion not pj and neil young. i think she is higly overrated and honestly her voice reminds me of the old down south black woman church choirs. just not my cup of tea.

and who ever mention the hype to the drug thing i agree with that. i think its all press to get her name out. i wouldnt be surprised if her agent or the market team on her label pushed this story more than it would have been. she became more famous cause of her drugs than her music. seems like a standard pop music tactic. find an image to sell the record. a few years ago there was this girl named bif naked, i dont think had the drug problem but she had the whole bad girl image. i guess main stream music needed another bad girl cause 'x-tina' is boring now.

The person i quoted seemed to be implying she didnt have talent which i think is blatently not true, whether he likes her voice or not.
  • lgtlgt Posts: 720
    She definitely has an amazing soulful voice, and I can see her appeal.

However, the hype factor pushing the whole tabloid/addiction/family saga is getting really annoying though, and I feel it detracts from her talent in the end.

Hope she can sort herself out, and doesn't become a victim of addiction.
  • She sure looked a lot better a few years ago, but she still sounds greats. Must have been a sale on tattoo's since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EGk8nI9fvg&mode=related&search=
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    She sounds like someone who would be on American Idol. Typical, uninteresting voice.

I've barely heard anything by her though.... and I have no desire to considering the fact that it seems the only reason people talk about her is because of her drug addictions. My gut instinct is that she's milking it for publicity....
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    I ony found out about her heroin abuse in the last month or so. She had sold many, many records before all this came out.
  • please.

there is no way amy is milking this for publicity. her first album was selling well and received awards, critical acclaim, etc, waaaay b4 drugs and eating disorder were on the scene.

i posted it to talk about her voice, to balance out the crap the media keep throwing out daily.

its a great performance, she can sing beautifully.

and the person who was saying she sounds like an old black woman. yes, ella fitzgerald.
  • please.

there is no way amy is milking this for publicity. her first album was selling well and received awards, critical acclaim, etc, waaaay b4 drugs and eating disorder were on the scene.

i posted it to talk about her voice, to balance out the crap the media keep throwing out daily.

and the person who was saying she sounds like an old black woman. yes, ella fitzgerald.

the replacements album tim was well liked by critics in the day and the who never won a grammy. shows how meaningless that stuff is from both ends. critics liked tim and its a great album but no one owns it. the who are popular and made aweseome music and never got awarded for it.

just because she was around before the media paid attention doesnt mean the media didnt have a huge part in her name getting out. and alot of what the media is saying now is junkie not talent.
  • lgtlgt Posts: 720
    please.

She might not be milking it personally, but now she's always on the papers for no reasons related to her music whatsoever. Whether it's her record company, her in-laws, her father, her contacting gossip bloggers, etc etc... whatever. The point is that she's become tabloid (and Guardian too, actually) fodder now.

She's not Pete Doherty in terms of talent, but she's definitely reached his level of tabloid/celebrity nonsense, and that's what I believe is detracting to her career as an artist and musician.
  • ye-es

which is why i posted the song, coz it shows why people should see past that...
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    her phrasing is similar to billie holiday I thought, cannot quite recall ella fitzgerald at the mo.

she is dirty looking but in a positive way.
  • lgt wrote:
    She might not be milking it personally, but now she's always on the papers for no reasons related to her music whatsoever. Whether it's her record company, her in-laws, her father, her contacting gossip bloggers, etc etc... whatever. The point is that she's become tabloid (and Guardian too, actually) fodder now.

She's not Pete Doherty in terms of talent,

I agree. She's talented. Pete Doherty isn't.
    I agree. She's talented. Pete Doherty isn't.

I disagree. They're both talented, although Pete Doherty more so.
  • stu gee wrote:
    I disagree. They're both talented, although Pete Doherty more so.

If poncing around Shoreditch in a trilby and writing doggerel about Tony Hancock constitutes being talented, then he's a genius. If going to a posh school then becoming a professional mockney signifies talent, then he's almost catching up with Nigel Kennedy. If getting arrested and playing little-rent-boy-lost when up before the beak is an art, then he's the jedi master. Otherwise, he's a croaking, mumbling, gibbering little tosspot who might impress "poets" such as Wolfman with his scribblings, and who provides a few would-be Nick Kent-type hacks with "column inches" (all puns intended). I hate him. Bleuuuurgh.
    If poncing around Shoreditch in a trilby and writing doggerel about Tony Hancock constitutes being talented, then he's a genius. If going to a posh school then becoming a professional mockney signifies talent, then he's almost catching up with Nigel Kennedy. If getting arrested and playing little-rent-boy-lost when up before the beak is an art, then he's the jedi master. Otherwise, he's a croaking, mumbling, gibbering little tosspot who might impress "poets" such as Wolfman with his scribblings, and who provides a few would-be Nick Kent-type hacks with "column inches" (all puns intended). I hate him. Bleuuuurgh.

Hmm, i was actually meaning the songs he writes but carry on.
  • stu gee wrote:
    Hmm, i was actually meaning the songs he writes but carry on.

I mentioned that shit. The doggerel about Tony Hancock.

"Can't stand me now, can't stand me now, awww'm a cock-er-ney sparrah, 'ave a banana, oi shot dah Mitchell bruvvers, chuck in a Kenneff Williams reference 'ere an' a touch a french symbolism, can't stand me now, roll out dah barrahhhhhh, we'll 'ave a barrahhhhhh ov funnnnnnn..."

:D