biggiest surprise and jsut bands you have seen

CK88CK88 Posts: 3
edited September 2007 in Other Music
what are some peoples biggest surprises they have seen at shows...it can be some band they thought would suck and turned out to be pretty badass or the other way where they thought they were going to be good but turned out they sucked...just name some stuff that stuck with you even after you left.

mine goes..

thought who would suck but rocked:
john mayer-amazing guitar player

billy idol-thought he was a has been but rocked the place

NIN- didn't know much about them ( or him) but one of the best bands i have seen live

Thought who would be good but stunk:
Garbage-thought they would be good since i heard good things about there music but totally sucked live
Aerosmith- not so much the band but steven tyler who was such a douchebag on stage.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Allman Bros - Great but upstaged by the opening act Moe. They had no life in them (though it might have just been the crowd composed of 50% senior citizens).

Smashing Pumpkins - Both times I saw them the blew my expectations away. And that goes a long way because I already considered them one of the most expressive live bands ever. Monumental.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I got a few:

Tonic: They played a festival I went too (one of like 15 bands) and "Being arrogant, I was like "what are they doing here, or more the less touring with third eye blind which is why they were there). I swear to God, they turned out to be the best band of the festival that day. They blew me away. I can honestly say I stuck my foot and my mouth, and I became quite interested in their music after their show. Holy cow they were good. Third eye blind was good the first time I saw them, but for the festival, Tonic kicked their ass to the moon and back.

Tom petty and the heartbreakers- they had stevie Nicks as a special guest and she and Tom did "insider" and "stop dragging my heart around" and then Tom also played a Traveling Wilbury's song!

The Toadies playing "Heel" at their reunion show. I emailed Todd via a message board and asked him if they could play that song, and when they came to Houston for one of 4 shows, they threw it in the set. That was truly bad ass.

Meeting Cross canadian ragweed at a festival backstage my friend was working. Free beer all night long. Also enjoyed hearing Cross canadian play "dimebag" It was pretty moving considering we were in Dime's hometown of FT Worth. I could have met the Black crowes, but they stayed in their bus until it was showtime, but they headlined after cross canadian.

Getting into the Def Lepard soundcheck. They played a 3 song set for us, and that was so cool. (they didn't come sign stuff though). The actual show was phenomenal.

Really bad shows:
    Jackyl: Just awful. They opened for April Wine and Night Ranger. Jesse was so wasted he couldn't sing, and it sounded like they merged all the songs together. He hummed the star spangled banner into the mic trying to imitate Jimi Hendrix's guitar version of it. I had such a headache after they were done. They totally blew.

Styx: Had free tickets and Peter Frampton and America were opening. (I went for America and Peter Frampton). Styx was just awful live. Just a bunch of obnoxious noise that was soooooo loud for a power ballad band. They did this medly thing and put like 14 songs together that lasted 5 minutes. They weaved a few lines of Mr. Roboto in there, and the entire arena Groaned and then Booed at the same time. That was hilarious. awful, awful show. Frampton should have headlined!
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    brand new.

i loved their last 2 albums, but their first one was a weak and crappy pop-punk album. the crowd SUCKED... full of whiny little teenage suburban kids who were all emo'd out.

but the band was awesome. played for over 2 hours (i've not seen anyone but pearl jam do that) and they were on fire. they rocked the fuck out. it was a hugely pleasant surprise. i'm going to see them again in a few weeks.

after this weekend, hanson might be on the list. i only agreed to go with my gf to please her, but i dig their new album and if their live album is any indication, they have really left the mmmbop days behind and are a real great live act.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    best surprises:
    1) PJ: even if I knew they were good on stage, I had no idea it would be as good as it was. Saw them 4 times and each time was better than the previosu one.
    2 Neil Young. I was 16, back in 1996 and all I knew from him was mirrorball. He blew me away.
    3) Smashing pumpkins too... I saw them 3 times and I was amazed each time.
    4) Radiohead
    5) Editors
    6) cold war kids
    etc.

Bad surprises:
    1) offspring. Saw them in 1995, I was 15. they sucked...
    2) futureheads. they opened for PJ in Copenhagen. They sucked.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Good Surprises:
    1. Rise Against- Absolutely fantastic live.
    2. Billy Idol- I never would have guessed!

Bad Surprises:
    1. Queens of the Stone Age- What a mess. Horrible live band.
    2. Modest Mouse- Pains me to say it because I love their albums. They have disappointed me horribly on two occasions.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    boroff89 wrote:
    Bad Surprises:
    2. Modest Mouse- Pains me to say it because I love their albums. They have disappointed me horribly on two occasions.

from what i hear, they are VERY hit and miss. either really great, or terrible. i've got tickets to see them in december. i hope it's one of their good nights.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    Good Surprises:
    Bad Surprises:

I hope not I'm going to see them on Friday and I'm hoping there good.
  • Biggest Surprises :

1. American Minor: They opened up for Drive By Truckers in 2006...didn't expect much from an unknown opening band...they impressed me.

2. Sleater Kinney: They got a bad rap around the board starting back in '03 when they first opened for Pearl Jam, but I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing them all 3 times they've opened.

Biggest Disappointments

1. Smashing Pumpkins: Extremely excited to see them in '96...unfortunately, Billy's ego got in the way of a good show as he bad-mouthed the audience (or lack thereof).

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    boroff89 wrote:
    Bad Surprises:
    I saw them in June and they were pretty good...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The North Mississippi All-Stars surprised the heck out of me the first time that I saw them on a twin-bill with DBT. I knew nothing about them going into the show. They were most excellent.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Kid Rock.

I didn't even want to really go because I'm not really a fan, but friends had extra tickets, so I went anyway. Man, that guy is awesome live! He plays just about every instrument on the stage at one point or another. He has so much energy and the stage show was like a circus act with dancers.

I would totally do that again.
  • Good Surprises:
    Better Than Ezra
    Lifehouse
    Idlewild
    Sparta

Bad Surprises:
    The Who
    O.A.R. (I wasn't expecting much, I was surprised how beyond bad it was)
  • Went to see Clutch, opening act was someguy with a bass pedal, banjo, and harmonica. Not my style but William Elliot Whitmore put on an amazing show to an indiffernt audience. Went right out and bought his CD!
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,881
    good: collective soul -awesome live show
    live - really showed they were a classic rock band, great show

bad: breaking benjamin - seen them 3 times, same hits shows, wasting time when they only had a 40 min set (at least 10 minutes), coked up lead singer.

meh: 3 days grace - not a fan of their music, but at least they're a rock band out of all the crap today. prolly be around for a while.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    Just saw Alice Cooper open for Black Sabbath (Heaven & Hell tour)... i was never a big Alice fan, but he kicked ass... blew Sabbath and Queensryche away.
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Metric: Thought they'd be OK and was one of the best shows I've seen.

Bob Dylan: Thought he would SUCK but was actually very good.

Pearl Jam: Walked in a casual fan, they were my favourite band when the show was over.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I once took a pal along to see Rush, as he'd done me a massive favour. I knew he liked them so I got tickets, we went along, I wasn't really a fan at all. But they blew me away, they were incredible. Also, support that night was Primus, damn! I remember Les bashing out Master of Puppets on a double bass, incredible stuff!!

Saw Steve Vai and wasn't that into him, but wow! Different class, apart from that knob singing for him back then, Devin Thownsend I think he was called. He almost spoiled the gig with his caterwaulling!

Biggest dissapointment has to be Stereophonics, when they played the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff. I'd seen the 4 or 5 times, and this place was way tooooo big for them, suited Kelly's ego, though not his ability to reach an audience.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Disappointments:
    Brazilian Girls
    GunsNRoses both times I saw them due to Axl being a fucktard.
    Tool on the Aenima tour sounded like shit but that was probably the venue.
    Tool on the Lateralus tour just sucked. That wasn't because of the venue.
    Robert Fripp put me to sleep.
    Tori Amos when she doesn't play by herself.
    Tweaker sounded like crap live.

The Arcade Fire, Mindless Self Indulgence, and The Dresden Dolls are all bands that I think would make an impact on people if they saw them live. I liked all three when I saw them but left in awe. It wasn't a huge surprise but I definitely gained more respect for them after seeing their live shows.
  • Impressed

Pearl Jam - Also saw them as just a slight fan and the show made them my favorite band

NIN - Absolutely amazing live show, that is all

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - 2 and half hours and an encore of every single song that the fans in the crowd yelled out..........all while the band was sick

Switchfoot - Didnt even like them and then was so blown away by the show that I became a fan

Unimpressed

Collective Soul - Lame as hell, started early and played for just an hour......not even worth the free admission

The Black Crowes - Didnt even stop between songs, missed out on two of my favorite songs and the vocals sounded terrible

Goo Goo Dolls - Never loved them but always thought they were a pretty solid band but they were absolutely horrendous live, everything about them was bad
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    NIN - walked in a casual fan, left being a fanatic fan. Can't get enough of it.

Mindless Self Indulgence - had never heard even one song - saw them at Projekt Revolution and they were a total blast - definitely a fan now.

Disappointment - HIM - liked their sound but they were very blah live.

Daft Punk - not so much a surprise but a delight - had never seen them or listened to much; the Lolla show was awesome.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Julien wrote:
    I saw them in June and they were pretty good...

When I saw Queens of the Stone Age, Josh's voice was very weak and muffled, the band wasn't in sync, and the drummer they now use simply could not drum Dave's stuff. In particular, No One Knows was a disaster.
  • from what i hear, they are VERY hit and miss. either really great, or terrible. i've got tickets to see them in december. i hope it's one of their good nights.

As I've said in other threads on Modest Mouse, the first time I saw them (on their headlining tour), they came on an hour late and only played for about an hour. What they did play was very mediocre, and they completely ignored The Moon and Anarctica. The second time, this past December (with Johnny Marr present), they butchered everything they played. Isaac's voice was atrocious. The band sounded awful.

I have heard they're hit and miss as well. I saw them perform on Jimmy Kimmell recently, and they sounded fine. I get the feeling that a lot of it has to do with how trashed Isaac is when they get on stage. I hope they're better for you than they've been for me. I don't have enough money anymore to warrant buying tickets for bands that inconsistent. So for now, as much as I love their albums, I am boycotting Modest Mouse.
  • Man Man by far......one of the most interesting most original bands I have EVER seen.....wow, just wow.
  • I saw Modest Mouse in April (Man Man opened for them) and they were awesome sounding but.......the venue was horrible and the mic kept cutting out which pissed Isaac off so in turn he jammed out alot. But they did play a full set which was nice seeing how I was expecting for them to walk off due to the poor venue sound and the mic's fucking up. Plus for 2 songs the guitars would cut out.
  • Good:
    NIN - just awesome, waited years to see them and they far exceeded my expectations.
    Insane Clown Posse - Hilarious on stage and fun for the whole audience.
    PJ (of course) - (first time I saw them) I had no idea what to expect.

Bad:
    Korn - waited years for that steaming pile of horseshit
    Deftones - Chino had one too many pies and the sound was awful.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • CK88CK88 Posts: 3
    Queens of The Stone Age now on top 5 shows i have been to

saw them in Baltimore last night and man they were rocking and the crowd loved it and one hell of a set list they played. i hear different things about them live and maybe i just went to one of their better shows but now they are one of the best performers i have seen.
  • Chris Isaak - took my g/f to an Isaak show at House of Blues as a gift for her. Wasn't really enthusiastic personally to see the guy. But he's a helluva entertainer and incredibly charismatic onstage (as is the rest of his band as well). I'd definitely go see another Isaak concert now.
  • JaneNY wrote:
    Disappointment - HIM - liked their sound but they were very blah live.

I've seem them three times...

first time at the Riv in Chicago was pretty blah. Ville Valo didn't look to interested in performing that night.

second time at the Rave in Milwaukee was great. Valo put 110% into his performance, as did the rest of the band.

third time at Congress Theater in Chicago was average at best. Definitely a letdown after the Rave show. Plus, this was just after "Wings of a Butterfly" became a hit, so there was a bunch of thirteen-year olds infesting the venue.

Another band which has put on great shows has been The 69 Eyes. I've seen them twice at the House of Blues, and both times it has been most excellent.
  • CK88 wrote:
    Queens of The Stone Age now on top 5 shows i have been to

saw them in Baltimore last night and man they were rocking and the crowd loved it and one hell of a set list they played. i hear different things about them live and maybe i just went to one of their better shows but now they are one of the best performers i have seen.

I agree. I was at the show in Virginia the night before. Just awesome!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,850
    good:
    Spoon and the artic monkeys

Bad:
    Interpol and gilmour