R.E.M... no love for 'em here?

2»

Comments

• I think a lot of us really big R.E.M. fans are feeling kind of down about the band lately, given the somewhat lackluster last couple of years (something I think we have debated quite frequently around here).

I know R.E.M. is easily my second favorite band after Pearl Jam, and honestly if their last 8 years or so had been better they might be my favorite. But the last 2 records have been pretty crappy, and they have not played in my state in over 10 years now, (even though their home town is all of a 7 hour drive away).

So yeah, I love R.E.M., they, along with PJ, were the first bands I ever listened to.

It has just been kind of a bummer to be an R.E.M. fan these last couple of years.

I am probably biased as I was lucky enough to see them on the last world tour and (gasp!) I'm actually a fan of "Around the Sun" & "Reveal". I'd rather wait the 3 or so years between album releases than have the boys rush a substandard album. My opinion is they have such a wonderful back catalogue that I have to listen to anytime and even while I wait for them to hit the studio I've got other little gems to enjoy like Peter backing up Robyn Hitchcock on his amazing new album and all the wicked IRS stuff that was released in September. I totally respect your opinion, I guess I'm still very satisfied with everything they've done & everything they're still doing.

Plus they're a lot to be inducted first ballot into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame next year. Yeah baby!
  • Plus they're a lot to be inducted first ballot into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame next year. Yeah baby!

Didn't that happen around September? *confused*
    Michael

be strong. be proud. be you.

- life comes from within your heart and desire -
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    Leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    i love the early stuff for sure
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Didn't that happen around September? *confused*
    That was actually the Georgia Music Hall of Fame
  • Wonderful band !

'Automatic for the People' is a really fantastic album.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    they've got a lot of good songs.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    one of my fav bands... they seem to drift from number 2 to number 5 on my list all the time. Their newest 80's hits collection is genius so many good pop/rock songs on there... I mean Don't go Back (To Rockville), So, Central Rain, Fall on me, I Believe, Cuhoga etc.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08