R.E.M... no love for 'em here?

Red LedbetterRed Ledbetter Posts: 35
edited December 2006 in Other Music
They're my favorite band, and will probably always be.

They've changed and saved my life, and helped me see the world in another perspective. I'm a better person since I became a fan. I got all their albums and a lot of bootlegs and bootleg dvds.

Michael Stipe is the main reason.. he's just so amazing! He's my biggest idol.. it's like he's always there, no matter what. He writes amazing, and his vocals are stunningly.

R.E.M. is the best live act as well. Simple, with a lot of passion in every performance.
Michael

be strong. be proud. be you.

- life comes from within your heart and desire -
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Plenty! Plenty of love!

In fact Mr. 11 posts, we went through a length of time not long ago where there were no less than 2 or 3 REM devoted threads on this page at any given time! :p

Love em!
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • not a huge fan, but i dig most of their stuff. "bang and blame" is a killer tune.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Lots of love. Do a search and you will find many threads.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I love REM. Second only to PJ.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Do you like the minus 5 or the young fresh fellows?
    www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon
  • In fact Mr. 11 posts, we went through a length of time not long ago where there were no less than 2 or 3 REM devoted threads on this page at any given time! :p

I just went through a few of the last pages quickly. And I saw in the favorite live act thread.. sorry. That's how it is to be a newbie around!:p
    Michael

• seagoat2seagoat2 Posts: 241
    Love them too! "Losing My Religion" is an incredible tune....among many others.

Michael Stipe is amazing.
  • An embarassment of riches in their album catalogue
  • I have love for them!
  • bigmuzzbigmuzz Posts: 299
    i dont really 'love' REM i must say...but i do 'love' many of their songs.....

they have some real killer tracks....but im not into a heap of their stuff, i dont know why
    Sydney Wed 8 Nov 2006....

when all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll.........

see me @ www.myspace.com/bigmuzz

keep on rockin!.......
  • darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    i love rem. i saw them on the around the sun tour and they were fantastic!
  • Love them.

Recently been listening to a lot of....

"...And I feel Fine (80's hits)"
    "New Adventures in Hi-Fi"
    "Reveal"
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • They're my favourite band. (New Adventures in Hi-Fi being my favourite album).

Did you say bootleg DVDs? *mouth waters*

Any chance you can put some of those up as bittorrents? Or make them available somehow. I've had a very hard time trying to find REM bootleg DVDs.
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    Definitely one of my favorite bands. 'Fables of the Reconstruction' is still in my top 10 albums from the 80's...

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    Mojopin wrote:
    Definitely one of my favorite bands. 'Fables of the Reconstruction' is still in my top 10 albums from the 80's...

Mojo

agree with this post..

Frankly, IMO they never recovered Bill Berry's departure or all the MTV fame they got with "Out of Time" ..

It went straight to their collective ego..

Stipe got all weird with his "gender bender" appearances at every award show.. I liked him better when he was shy and introspective..

and Peter Buck became a drunk..

Lately, REM seem to be cranking out U2 "Popmart" cd's ever since "Monster"..
    (their last great album)

Unlike U2 , they haven't been able to come out of their self-involved nosedive with recent efforts..

Also, how's about opening up some of the vaults and releasing select 1985-1989 soundboards...or release their MTV unplugged performamce like Nirvana did.. Any date from their 1986 tour alone would be awesome..

I could pay a few of their mortgages with all the money I spend on PJ and DMB official boots...
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,230
    REM ok REPLACEMENTS better........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • locked wrote:
    agree with this post..

Frankly, IMO they never recovered Mike Mills departure or all the MTV fame they got with "Out of Time" ..

Stipe got all weird with his "gender bender" appearances at every award show.. I liked him better when he was shy and introspective..

(their last great album)

Funny post. I can't say I agree at all.

For the first thing, it wasn't Mike Mills, but Bill Berry who left.

Peter Buck is not a drunk... he just went nuts on an airplane once.
    Michael

• rem would have to be in my top 5 fav bands behind pearl jam, powderfinger, midnight oils and nirvana
  • Probably in my top 5 bands if I really thought about it. They were always kinda "there" in the back of my mind for years, and they're always nice to listen to on a quiet day; their songs are really beautiful, as is Michael's voice of course. In the past year or so though, I've totally become a fan, starting with randomly buying some of the older albums at a local record store for next to nothing. Since then, I've nearly completed the collection, and am loving it! However, I don't think they could ever be my favourite; Pearl Jam took that a long time ago. They've come up the ranks quickly in my looooong list though. :D
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I've got plenty of love for R.E.M. I wasn't too impressed with their last three records, but Automatic for the People, Document, and Life's Rich Pageant are three of the greatest albums ever made in my opinion. New Adventures in Hi-Fi is pretty stellar as well.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • locked wrote:
    agree with this post..

Frankly, IMO they never recovered Mike Mills departure or all the MTV fame they got with "Out of Time" ..

(their last great album)

Unlike U2 , they haven't been able to come out of their self-involved nosedive with recent efforts..

Also, how's about opening up some of the vaults and releasing select 1985-1989 soundboards...or release their MTV unplugged performamce like Nirvana did.. Any date from their 1986 tour alone would be awesome..

I could pay a few of their mortgages with all the money I spend on PJ and DMB official boots...

Yeah I'm sure the boys all have mortgages riding on their homes
    Funny post. I can't say I agree at all.

For the first thing, it wasn't Mike Mills, but Bill Berry who left.

Peter Buck is not a drunk... he just went nuts on an airplane once.

me bad... brain freeze..

yes, I have corrected it to Bill Berry..

Good call..!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • ive began to listen to their music again after a long time..and considered how humanistic and sensitive music they do create..absolutel one of mu favaurite bands..
    "Cuyahoga" may be their best, most underated song of all time (from Life's Rich Pageant)

the live performance is simply epic...

Open the vaults! open the vaults!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • I enjoy listening to anything of theirs that pre-dates Out Of Time. I despise UP and Reveal though. Saw them live a few years ago, they weren't bad
  • niallniall Posts: 244
    I think rems best work came from new adventures, up and reveal. I really like the sound and energy from new adventures, it has has to be my fav album. Although their first albumis really good as is automatic but I feel especially new adventures and up are the best albums they have done.
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    For all the Up haters, start the album at track 7 "Sad Professor" and listen to the end. The last half of this album is easily some of R.E.M.'s best work. Listen to it near the end of a long car ride at night.

And, I think "Wolves, Lower" has more energy than any song I have ever heard.
  • I think a lot of us really big R.E.M. fans are feeling kind of down about the band lately, given the somewhat lackluster last couple of years (something I think we have debated quite frequently around here).

I know R.E.M. is easily my second favorite band after Pearl Jam, and honestly if their last 8 years or so had been better they might be my favorite. But the last 2 records have been pretty crappy, and they have not played in my state in over 10 years now, (even though their home town is all of a 7 hour drive away).

So yeah, I love R.E.M., they, along with PJ, were the first bands I ever listened to.

It has just been kind of a bummer to be an R.E.M. fan these last couple of years.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • piaget77piaget77 Posts: 156
    Love them. They can be a powerful live band.
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I'm a big fan, I've seen them live 7 times (PJ is in 2nd place, with 5).

I agree that Around the Sun is mediocre. I think they should make another rock record, like they did with Monster and just surprise the hell out of everyone.

Most people seem to either love Reveal or hate it, I fall in the former category, I think it sounds gorgeous.

Haven't listened to Up in awhile.

New Adventures, Monster, and Automatic are awesome.

Their IRS stuff is really good, I've gotten a new appreciation for a lot of those old songs from the And I Feel Fine.... release of their early work. I hope the old albums can get the same remastered care.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin