saw cornell on leno last night

Comments

• That last line over at stereogum, says it all: "Shit sandwich."

How can anyone defend this hack?
  • as a truly inspirational artist, it is shocking that cornell would stamp his name on something so non-creative. i am deeply saddened by this turn of events, not because of his change in musical sound, but by his lack of originality. THAT'S the problem here. i'm not looking for the soundgarden sound, i'm looking for cornell playing like he means it. and i'm not getting that. bummer.

sobriety and a solid family life can unfortunately take a fucking shit on one's creative career. good luck, chris. hope to hear something classic again from you someday.
  • bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    So many fools on here complaining about Cornell. Havent you heard his interviews he dont make the same record twice. So this album he doing something different. No big deal. His voice is unmatched. Lives shows are great.
    the beatles have the white album,chris cornell has the gay album.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    JWBusher wrote:
    Chris seems to be going through a crisis that a lot of 60's and 70's bands went through in the 80's...completely alientaing their original fanbases by making commercial pap that utilizes modern trends.

I agree with that.....

like Bob Dylan in the 80's......

There's nothing wrong with pop music but the new Cornell material is simply just very weak considering it comes from such a talented musician......

Lame production, thin beats and bleeps may work for Nelly Furtado but not Cornell.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • what is really galling is his voice is clearly in good shape.

the song is better with a band, maybe i will go see this tour...
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    what is really galling is his voice is clearly in good shape.

the song is better with a band, maybe i will go see this tour...

I'll probably go and see him just for the old songs, and who knows, perhaps the rest of the album has some better songs - one can only hope.
  • I'll probably go and see him just for the old songs, and who knows, perhaps the rest of the album has some better songs - one can only hope.
    They can't really get too much worse...
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    So many fools on here complaining about Cornell. Havent you heard his interviews he dont make the same record twice.

Too bad he made all the good records first.
  • i liked euphoria morning (first solo record). carry on was just too weird. it was like unfinished audioslave songs.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Them-BonesThem-Bones Posts: 518
    That album cover is so bad
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    What a bit like Bowie?

I actually liked Bowie more in the 80's. I don't know. Call me goofy. If it wasn't for the 80's Bowie, I wouldn't had listened to Honky Dory or Ziggy Stardust. (Or Stevie Ray Vaughn for that matter.)

Perhaps a small SoundGarden reunion would heal these wounds.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Yep, he looked bored as fuck. Still, I'm sure people will be shouting out for it at concerts in 15 years time like they do for Black Hole Sun, Outshined etc ;)

The vocals are really good. And he doesn't even look like he gives a shit. Imagine if he would actually be somewhat inspired by his work. The video is funny, so much of the time the band is wandering around looking for something to do.

When you see something like this, it gets even more mysterious. What's the deal? Did he lose a bet with someone?
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,668
    he might have sold his soul to the devil , i mean Timbaland.
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    They can't really get too much worse...

you obviously haven't heard ground zero or watch out. after listening to those 2 long gone doesn't even sound that shitty anymore.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Benzor wrote:
    you obviously haven't heard ground zero or watch out. after listening to those 2 long gone doesn't even sound that shitty anymore.

Agreed. Watch Out has to have the worst lyrics to have ever fallen out of his mouth.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • no artist has fallen as far from a tune like "beyond the wheel" to an utterly horrible song like "ground zero". it just has never happened before. i can't believe i'm saying that.
  • Benzor wrote:
    I've heard them... It's all of the same general crappiness to my ears. Including Scream and Never Far Away... and the snippet of Part Of Me...

That's half the album already down the drain. And it has guest spots from Justin Timberlake and some guy... Ryan Tedder, I think his name is? So... yeah. Chris' idea of something he could do with a gun was apparently shooting himself in the foot.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    I keep hearing the name Ryan Tedder attached to this record. Now I may be living under a rock or just plain ignorant, but who the fuck is that?
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • NewDamage wrote:
    I keep hearing the name Ryan Tedder attached to this record. Now I may be living under a rock or just plain ignorant, but who the fuck is that?
    Lead singer from OneRepublic. One more thing to worry about, eh?
  • Lead singer from OneRepublic. One more thing to worry about, eh?
    Everyone remembers this, right? http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=q-9S29SiLNA
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Everyone remembers this, right? http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=q-9S29SiLNA

that's horrible :(
    I rather remember this, it's not heavy, or metal, or grunge, but it shows CC's talents. It's wonderful, it doesn't have to be Slaves and Bulldozers to be good :o
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=SnV191MQLyo
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • It hurts to say this, but, just saw him in Tampa for Projekt Revolution and it did nothing for me. I had a better time in the beer line. The performances from the local "all day drunken rejekts" were much more entertaining. Sorry Chris... I was pullin for ya!
    Gets up, lights a cigarette he's grown to hate
    Thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream?

But his heart don't seem to roam......
  • jamie uk wrote:
    that's horrible :(
    I rather remember this, it's not heavy, or metal, or grunge, but it shows CC's talents. It's wonderful, it doesn't have to be Slaves and Bulldozers to be good :o
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=SnV191MQLyo
    That was always my favourite song off EM. It was pretty much the soundtrack to one of the best years of my life so far.
  • annenomiesannenomies Posts: 165
    Cornell seriously needs an intervention - Eddie should go visit and talk with him. Go back to what your good at - ROCK!
  • NewDamage wrote:

Someone who is going to be making considerably more money off this record than Chris' band will.

He's a co-writer. There's a couple more, obviously including Timbaland.
  • I was just listening to the first Audioslave album... What never struck me before tonight is how these Scream songs pale in comparison to Hypnotize, which is sort of an attempt at a darker-edged "dancey" song. Interesting music, great lyrics, and no fucking bleeps or beats or monkey-yelps.

I think these last two records really sealed the deal - Chris Cornell's ego needs an equal and opposite ego to keep him in check (the rest of SG, Tom Morello, etc). Unfortunately for everyone, Timbaland's ego wasn't equal - it was even bigger. :(
    CCRefugee wrote:
    Someone who is going to be making considerably more money off this record than Chris' band will.

He's a co-writer. There's a couple more, obviously including Timbaland.

I remember interviews with Chris and Kim way back when. They (particularly Chris) always said how they frowned upon outsiders coming in and co-writing songs because it bastardized what they were about as a cohesive unit. They used to talk all this shit about bands that did that. He's not really in a "band" environment these days per se, but still...fucking sad. He's seemingly turned his back on so many of the fundamental principles that defined him as a great artist and made him unique.

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 618
    Sometimes artists need a dramatic change in direction. Often it's an awkward experience for the musician and his fans. I haven't heard any of this new stuff other than "Long Gone" which isn't as bad as some claim. The guy is trying something new. Maybe he's tired of pretending it's 1994. Maybe it's not the kind music that most of us here prefer. Who cares? Go listen to a Neil Young album titled "Landing On Water". It sounds like the worst 1980's crap you've ever heard. Guitars were replaced with synthesizers, it was a complete disaster. I'm sure most people thought he was completely out of his mind when he released it. Well he got it out of his system and here we are 20 years later and most fans don't even know it exists. Let Chris get this out of his system.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
    But Neil Young was being sued by David Geffen at the time. A lot of people think that album was an attempt to piss off Geffen in the midst of the lawsuit. Since the lawsuit in fact dealt with him making music that "sounded nothing like Neil Young"

• eyedclaar wrote:
    Agreed. Watch Out has to have the worst lyrics to have ever fallen out of his mouth.

What are you nuts?! The Watch Out lyrics could easily fit into an SG song.....

"She lived like a murder but she died...DOIN' 90 IN A RESIDENTIAL ZONE!!" :)