John Mayer

2»

Comments

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    chimpat wrote:
    That's true, I'm one of those friends. John and I grew up together and have been friends since we were about 12 or so. We used to drive him around ( I say that because it took him forever to get his license), but we're all huge PJ fans and basically burned out the VS and Vitalogy albums.

I was visting him in Cali last summer and the idea of covering a PJ song came up in one of our discussions, we were both saying that "No Code" is probably our favorite album and the idea of him covering "Off He Goes" came up. He's never done it but I think it would be really cool.

good stuff! my girlfriend works with his brother carl and she tell me his is a blast.

off he goes is a great call for a cover. he would nail it!
  • augustwest wrote:
    What's strange is I always took that song as being about NOT waiting for the world to change...about not accepting things as they are. I think it would be foolish for anyone to wait for the world to change. It's a struggle we deal with every day. It's about being upset about today, and saying we could just wait for the world to change, but we won't. I certainly don't sit back and wait and I'm sure there are many others that won't wait as well, John included. But that's just my slant on the song.

I really don't see any evidence in that song lyrically or musically to support this position. If anything what I am hearing is that Gen Y is planning on just waiting around to inherit power from their parents but until then they are just chillin brah. I am not saying this is true for this age group across the board, but this song hasn't a note of sarcasm or irony to lead a listener to believe otherwise.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    good stuff! my girlfriend works with his brother carl and she tell me his is a blast.

off he goes is a great call for a cover. he would nail it!

That's cool, Carl is a good guy. Ben is too (John's younger brother), good family, solid people.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    I really don't see any evidence in that song lyrically or musically to support this position. If anything what I am hearing is that Gen Y is planning on just waiting around to inherit power from their parents but until then they are just chillin brah. I am not saying this is true for this age group across the board, but this song hasn't a note of sarcasm or irony to lead a listener to believe otherwise.

I suppose I could also say that things, that appear to be what they are on the surface, are not always what they really are about in the end. I don't think you give enough credit to the younger generation that is growing up now. Just think about recycling alone...the young kids have got a headstart on this issue and ARE very concerned for the environment...way more than me(old dude) or my parents(living fossils) were/are. The young kids are not waiting for the world to change by itself.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I think Pearl Jam should stay the hell away from this song and work on making a good album of their own for a change.
    Cock Fight.
  • augustwest wrote:
    The young kids are not waiting for the world to change by itself.

I don't disagree with this statement, which is why I don't like this song's message. For the record, I am 32 and work for one of the nation's largest environmental organizations--so I am not waiting on jack and am surrounded by many younger people who aren't either.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
    I don't disagree with this statement, which is why I don't like this song's message. For the record, I am 32 and work for one of the nation's largest environmental organizations--so I am not waiting on jack and am surrounded by many younger people who aren't either.

Indeed! If anyone was waiting for the world to change you could prolly pin that on my generation(baby boomer-X)

I've since smartened up though ;)
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    chimpat wrote:
    That's cool, Carl is a good guy. Ben is too (John's younger brother), good family, solid people.

Pat, you gonna be at the Coliseum show tonight on Long Island? I'll be there! On the floor 20 rows back!
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    moster78 wrote:
    Pat, you gonna be at the Coliseum show tonight on Long Island? I'll be there! On the floor 20 rows back!

Unfortunately, I won't be making it out from the city. One of my best friends is flying in from Jackson Hole and will only be here for the night so a bunch of us are getting together for dinner and drinks.

It's okay though, I just flew out to see John in Chicago a couple weeks ago, got to hang with the band and we had a great time at the show, I even asked him to play "Covered In Rain" and he brought it out for the encore. Cool stuff.

Have fun tonight, I'm sure it'll be great!
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    chimpat wrote:
    Unfortunately, I won't be making it out from the city. One of my best friends is flying in from Jackson Hole and will only be here for the night so a bunch of us are getting together for dinner and drinks.

It's okay though, I just flew out to see John in Chicago a couple weeks ago, got to hang with the band and we had a great time at the show, I even asked him to play "Covered In Rain" and he brought it out for the encore. Cool stuff.

Have fun tonight, I'm sure it'll be great!

Cool deal man, enjoy! I saw he played Crossroads at last nights show, which would be cool to see!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Some of you are so damn ignorant!!

The guy is fucking INSANE on the guitar, in fact I'd say he's probably even better then Mike (flame on ignorant folk...and yeah I love Mikey). I hate a lot of his music, but the guy can cut it better then most these days.
    mca47 wrote:
    Some of you are so damn ignorant!!

The guy is fucking INSANE on the guitar, in fact I'd say he's probably even better then Mike (flame on ignorant folk...and yeah I love Mikey). I hate a lot of his music, but the guy can cut it better then most these days.

The dude plays a mean strat :)
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I've never taken "Waiting On The World to Change" to mean that HE is waiting on it to change, but our generation is just sitting back and doing nothing. We had the chance to turn out in 2004 and make a huge difference, but we didn't. I think that's what the song is about.
  • harrymanbackharrymanback Posts: 435
    the song sucks. and its theme is typical of generation whine.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.