John Mayer

Drop The Leash 10Drop The Leash 10 Posts: 7,011
edited July 2007 in Other Music
I seriously think Pearl jam should cover his song Waiting On the world to change.

the lyrics are right up their alley.
I will be what i could be
Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    I seriously think Pearl jam should cover his song Waiting On the world to change.

i'm gonna be polite but that's one of the most awful , cliche ripoff (black coffee in bed) songs i've ever heard....

in my opinion.

but i think john mayer is funny. ever catch The John Mayer show when he interviews Trickdaddy?
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853

no they shouldn't
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • satansbedbugssatansbedbugs Posts: 2,412
    John Mayer should cover a pj song
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    John Mayer is a phenomenal guitarist, but I'm not a huge fan of a lot of his music.
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790

No offense, but there are thousands of songs I'd rather hear PJ cover.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057

Yup......respect biuuutch!
    My lips are shaking.......
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568

He could play a mean Yellow Ledbetter. Don't know how bad he'd butcher the vocals though. Could be interesting.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• byrdbyrdbyrdbyrd Posts: 40
    Mods,

Please lock this thread...

Thanks
  • robfest2robfest2 Posts: 594
    byrdbyrd wrote:
    Mods,

Please lock this thread...

Thanks
    WHY?
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    PJ is a man's band

John Mayer makes music for weee little girls
    the Minions
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    I thought John Mayer's version of Radiohead's "Kid A" (the song, not the whole album) was pretty damn cool.

He's a pretty badass guitar player, too.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    john mayer.... talented as fuck.

amazing guitar player.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    john is my friend's eddie.
    he's a big pj fan appearently too... but i dont think theres many pj songs that he can cover, vocally anyways, except maybe... blood!!

the other way around? hmmmm.. i agree that theres better songs to be covered than that one... and besides i'm sick of hearing it at the dept store i work at. :)
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • JuberooJuberoo Posts: 472
    PJ is a man's band

John Mayer makes music for weee little girls

Ummm excuse me...but there are plenty of us "girls" out here who love PJ too. So PJ is a woman's band as well.

BTW...I think John Mayer is awesome in his own right.
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense.

A truly liberal person is conservative when necessary.

Pro-life by choice.
  • stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
    John Mayer is an amazing guitarist. Check out the John Mayer Trio cd, or Continuum. When he finally stops singing about "Daughters' and starts playing the blues, he's unreal.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    Juberoo wrote:
    Ummm excuse me...but there are plenty of us "girls" out here who love PJ too. So PJ is a woman's band as well.

BTW...I think John Mayer is awesome in his own right.

like I said weee wittle girls ;)

jk
    the Minions
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Naaah - the song's okay, and I like *some* of the lyrics, but does Pearl Jam WAIT for the world to change? No - they effect change themselves - just check out their activist section. Mayer's song, while I like some of the lyrics, is a little too passive for me, and IMO for Pearl Jam. They go more for the Bleed for Me, Gimme Some Truth, let's DO something type of covers, not sit here and wait.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    the guy's a stoner who idolises eddie vedder. that makes him A.O.K in my books :)

and yes, he makes guitars his bitches :D
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    JaneNY wrote:
    Naaah - the song's okay, and I like *some* of the lyrics, but does Pearl Jam WAIT for the world to change? No - they effect change themselves - just check out their activist section. Mayer's song, while I like some of the lyrics, is a little too passive for me, and IMO for Pearl Jam. They go more for the Bleed for Me, Gimme Some Truth, let's DO something type of covers, not sit here and wait.

Thank you....

...I really don't mind the music of the song, and I respect John Mayer as an artist and I think he's downright awesome as a blues guitarist.... but that song's lyrics just kill me. Any message which is trying to justify the idea of sitting around and doing nothing is just so completely counterproductive to society. It's a shame too, because there are tons of bands that are out there trying honestly to motivate the youth of the nation to spark CHANGE via ACTION... but meanwhile 'Waiting on the World to Change' is played on the radio for all to hear and enjoy. I mean, if the song were somber and depressing, then it would be different- in fact, it could probably make for a very interesting cover by someone. But the fact that it's so poppy and upbeat means it's just like it's celebrating inaction... which is the exact opposite of what this world needs right now....

Sorry for the rant. Like I said, I have a lot of respect for Mayer, but I can't forgive him for that song. I also can't forgive him for that Daughters song, but that's for an entirely different reason. :D
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    Aww come on, what's with all the disdain for the Daughters song? It's sappy, but I love it cuz I'm a dad. I bet you haters don't have a little girl. ;)
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    DOSW wrote:
    Thank you....

...I really don't mind the music of the song, and I respect John Mayer as an artist and I think he's downright awesome as a blues guitarist.... but that song's lyrics just kill me. Any message which is trying to justify the idea of sitting around and doing nothing is just so completely counterproductive to society. It's a shame too, because there are tons of bands that are out there trying honestly to motivate the youth of the nation to spark CHANGE via ACTION... but meanwhile 'Waiting on the World to Change' is played on the radio for all to hear and enjoy. I mean, if the song were somber and depressing, then it would be different- in fact, it could probably make for a very interesting cover by someone. But the fact that it's so poppy and upbeat means it's just like it's celebrating inaction... which is the exact opposite of what this world needs right now....

Sorry for the rant. Like I said, I have a lot of respect for Mayer, but I can't forgive him for that song. I also can't forgive him for that Daughters song, but that's for an entirely different reason. :D

omg i always say that! when i hear it a billiongazllion times at work especially... 'why does he wait for the world to change? eddie changes it...wit his OWN two hands!!'
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    itsevobaby wrote:
    the guy's a stoner who idolises eddie vedder. that makes him A.O.K in my books :)

and yes, he makes guitars his bitches :D

i read an article about him, and he pretty much said him and his friends used to just drive around back in the day smoking and listening to pearl jam.

i think he lists vitalogy as one of his favorite pearl jam albums.
  • JaneNY wrote:
    Exactly.

But Mayer adroitly captured our culture with one line of a song.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    has no one seen his half hour comedy special that ran on VH1 a couple years ago? it's hilarious. i'll give him the guitar props but the dude is funny, like sketch comedy funny. he gathered a 'case study' group of fans, told them that richard marx writes all of his songs, played daughter and asked each girl to raise their hand when the song started to to make them cry. it was priceless. not to mention the open mic in memphis with trickdaddy.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    over_bends wrote:
    He could play a mean Yellow Ledbetter. Don't know how bad he'd butcher the vocals though. Could be interesting.

He actually did cover Yellow Ledbetter, it was awhile back, it was 6/8/01 at the State Theater in Falls Church, VA. He didn't sing, just played guitar.

Love Soon Jam > Yellow Bedletter
    Man On The Side > Wind Cries Mary > Man On The Side
    Lover Lay Down >
    No Woman No Cry
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    i read an article about him, and he pretty much said him and his friends used to just drive around back in the day smoking and listening to pearl jam.

i think he lists vitalogy as one of his favorite pearl jam albums.

That's true, I'm one of those friends. John and I grew up together and have been friends since we were about 12 or so. We used to drive him around ( I say that because it took him forever to get his license), but we're all huge PJ fans and basically burned out the VS and Vitalogy albums.

I was visting him in Cali last summer and the idea of covering a PJ song came up in one of our discussions, we were both saying that "No Code" is probably our favorite album and the idea of him covering "Off He Goes" came up. He's never done it but I think it would be really cool.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Aw, give John Mayer some respect! :mad:

Ha, it's your opinion. Oh well.

I like him!

I was so happy that he gave his permission to D-PAN organization to use his "Waiting on the World to Change" song to be translated and interpreted in ASL.

I really enjoyed listening and watching in MY language - this was a form of visual music I had been dreaming for a long time!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

I certainly hope they would ask PJ for permission to use some of their songs in the future so *I* can enjoy watching my favorite songs in MY language! ;)

Enjoy this video even though you don't know ASL! I know some of those people in the video - they live here in Detroit! :D

http://www.d-pan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=45

Woot!

As for PJ covering this song - I don't know. Hmm. Maybe only because I would "see" this in ASL when Eddie sings this! :D And the fact that John Mayer is a big PJ fan would make it even more okay!

Wouldn't YOU want PJ to cover YOUR song?! What an HONOR!!!
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • woundedorganwoundedorgan Posts: 607
    This thread should die and burn in hell
    God Loves Pearl Jam
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    DOSW wrote:
    Thank you....

What's strange is I always took that song as being about NOT waiting for the world to change...about not accepting things as they are. I think it would be foolish for anyone to wait for the world to change. It's a struggle we deal with every day. It's about being upset about today, and saying we could just wait for the world to change, but we won't. I certainly don't sit back and wait and I'm sure there are many others that won't wait as well, John included. But that's just my slant on the song.

I didn't know JM was a PJ freak. JM is an absolutely incredible guitar player and his last 2 cds have been simply amazing...there are a handful of bands that I really anticipate the next cd release and I gotta say after JM's last cd I simply can't wait till his next. The guy's on a roll.
  • I too strongly dislike the message of this song for reasons articulated quite well above--though I admit it is somewhat catchy.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron