Tom Waits

2»

Comments

• Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    its tom waits, love him or leave him.

he's fucking brilliant and im obsessed.

last nights performance was great.

Yeah, that was awesome last night. Can't wait to see him on the Daily Show tonight. I think "Orphans" is hands down the best album released this year. 56 songs and not a single dud on the entire thing. It's incredible. I can totally understand why some people don't like his voice, but ya can't deny his brilliance as a songwriter. The man is a goddamn genius, end of story.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    nepalnepal Posts: 143
    Start

Small Change
    Blue Valentine
    Mule Variations
    Swordfishtrombones
    Closing Time
    Nighthawks At The Diner
    The Heart Of Saturday Night
    Big Time
    Rain Dogs
    ...the dreams ain't broken down here now,
    they're walking with a limp
  • Options
    nepal wrote:
    Start

Small Change
    Blue Valentine
    Mule Variations
    Swordfishtrombones
    Closing Time
    Nighthawks At The Diner
    The Heart Of Saturday Night
    Big Time
    Rain Dogs

i cant/havent gotten into small change or blue valentine yet. They seem uninspiried. he really hit something at heart attack and vine.
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    i cant/havent gotten into small change or blue valentine yet. They seem uninspiried. he really hit something at heart attack and vine.

those two are actually two of the best from his early period. for real. beautiful, heartbreaking records.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    those two are actually two of the best from his early period. for real. beautiful, heartbreaking records.

yea, so far they just dont work for me but....

i think as far as early work goes it would have to be heart of saturday night and closing time, great 1-2 punch.

Nighthawks is great too.
  • Options
    yea, so far they just dont work for me but....

i think as far as early work goes it would have to be heart of saturday night and closing time, great 1-2 punch.

Nighthawks is great too.

It's really closing time and Small Change for me, as far as favorites from that period go.

I just can't get into Nighthawks.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    Didn't Bone win Best alternative in '92?
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    It's really closing time and Small Change for me, as far as favorites from that period go.

nighthawks is a nice easy listen. you dont really "Get much out of it" if you will, but its kindof fun to listen to him go off the way he does.

I dont like the production on small change and blue valentine. I still have to really just sit down with it and read along the lyrics and see what i can get from it.
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:

i had a bit of trouble with nighthawks at first.. it's not my most listened to.. but i definitely appreciate it more now. some pretty funny stuff on there..
  • Options
    I don't think there's a bad song on Orphans. It might be the most quality CD all year, imo. What did you consider weaker?

most of disc 3, and a few other tracks here and there.

but at the same time, i didnt expect over 50 songs to all be great. definitely worth the price.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Options
    waits is performing "Day After Tomorrow" on the Daily Show tonight at 11
  • Options
    thanks for the tidbit.. hopefully there will be a good interview too :)
  • Options
    well that was great....until they cut him off.

fuck comedy central

John Stewart really seemed awe-struck.
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    well that was great....until they cut him off.

fuck comedy central

John Stewart really seemed awe-struck.
    youknew it would happen. i did.

its just weird since the colber report is basically its twin brother and right next door yea? so just hold ona second..

anyways, that was beautiful. stewart is defintely a huge fan! he was fumblin and stumblin with the questions

waits is awesome.
  • Options
    i thought the letterman interview was better.. i guess dave is either less of a fan or more used to it.. totally understandably on jon's part though. the performance was amazing!
  • Options
    i thought the letterman interview was better.. i guess dave is either less of a fan or more used to it.. totally understandably on jon's part though. the performance was amazing!

i think stewart asked better questions. letterman was too rehearsed. Letterman would ask a question that would just lead into a waits antic. Stewart tried to ask him questions about his music. It was much more fun to watch, i think.
  • Options
    i listened to 'bone machine' for the first time today.

wow, this might be my favorite waits album (judging from the ones i've heard).
  • Options

i love the imagery painted in that album, especiall earth died screaming...

leaving nothing but the BONES...

the locusts take the sky...
  • Options
    i think stewart asked better questions. letterman was too rehearsed. Letterman would ask a question that would just lead into a waits antic. Stewart tried to ask him questions about his music. It was much more fun to watch, i think.

interesting point.. true that stewart did focus on music more. i guess what i really meant was letterman's had me laughing more
  • Options

oh yeah. Bone Machine was the first Waits record I ever heard.

I had to buy it based on the cover alone. I think that sums up the mood pretty well.

It's amazing how Tom can go from something as harsh as "Earth Died Screaming" to the beautiful, haunting "Who Are You?" and "A Little Rain".

this is probably the best side to a Waits album ever:

* In the Colosseum
    * Goin' Out West
    * Murder in the Red Barn
    * Black Wings
    * Whistle Down the Wind
    * I Don't Wanna Grow Up
    * Let Me Get Up On It
    * That Feel

unreal. it never lets up.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,039
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 602
    Been stuck on Closing Time for a while now even before all this 50th anniversary stuff. Specifically the song I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You. I was lucky enough to see him live one time. Wish I could get that opportunity again before he leaves this planet.
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,786
    Happy Birthday you so bad I love you