Options

Tom Waits

bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
edited November 2006 in Other Music
I'm just recently starting to like the great Tom Waits, I've just been wondering if there are any users who could recommend me some of his content? Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Rain Dogs
    Swordfishtrombones
    Bone Machine
  • Options
    Can't forget "Mule Variations"
    "I think I'm cool." - Stone Gossard.
  • Options
    Start with Swordfishtrombones. Then get Mule Variations...

Great musician/poet
  • Options
    start at the beginning and work your way forward. everything is great.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    you simply cannot go wrong with any tom waits record
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    get orphans .. simply because it's "present" .. you can't really go wrong, as others have said.. depending how open you are.

orphans is amazing. like everything he does.
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    orphans is indeed incredible. it plays almost like a greatest hits.

Waits is on Letterman tonight at 11:30, by the way. make sure you catch that.....his past performances on there have been great.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    i dont think orphans is a good place to start for someone who is just starting to listen to TW
  • Options
    bigmuzzbigmuzz Posts: 299
    yeah orphans would be great for a new listener, also because it is split up into his 3 styles....

personally, i LOVE raindogs.....fucken awesome album!
    Sydney Wed 8 Nov 2006....

when all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll.........

see me @ www.myspace.com/bigmuzz

keep on rockin!.......
  • Options
    my personal favs are mule variations or real gone. orphans is great but its a lot of material to disgest.
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Yeah, I'm considering purchasing Orphans because of the different styles that are shown. I did some reading about it on Wikipedia (my source for basically everything) and it seems like quite a good purchase.

Also, I'll definatly be watching Letterman tonight, like I do every other night! I was just so happy to hear that he was going to be on Letterman tonight, it just gives me yet another reason to watch Letterman!
  • Options
    i dont think orphans is a good place to start for someone who is just starting to listen to TW

i don't really see why not, unless you're looking for a particular style.

say s/he listens to closing time.. expects 15 albums of that voice and that style.. only being set up for disappointment.

there is no "good" place to start.. you've just got to jump in where you can, and swim as far as you can go.

that's just my opinion of course.
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    Rain Dogs

Clap Hands is what sucked me in.

:)
  • Options
    I can't stand his voice he's on david letterman right now.
    08-19-08 (Riverside Theater) Vedder(Solo) Milwaukee, WI
    07-02-11 (Orpheum Theatre) Vedder(Solo) Minneapolis, MN
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    rizzdaddy wrote:
    I can't stand his voice he's on david letterman right now.

and hes nuttier then a fruitcake.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    i've heard his voice is raw and gravelly, but that kinda painful to listen to. i dug the music, but the voice. since i've never heard anything of his before, please tell me his voice isn't usually that ragged.
    Live Free or Die!
  • Options
    3sheets wrote:
    i've heard his voice is raw and gravelly, but that kinda painful to listen to. i dug the music, but the voice. since i've never heard anything of his before, please tell me his voice isn't usually that ragged.

It always sounds like that, my friend likes to play him alot and it's always that hard to listen to.
    08-19-08 (Riverside Theater) Vedder(Solo) Milwaukee, WI
    07-02-11 (Orpheum Theatre) Vedder(Solo) Minneapolis, MN
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    his voice is what MAKES him tom waits!

that, and the junkyard orchestra... :)

keep on rockin!.......
  • Options
    Lost_Clay wrote:

BETTER!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLW0l5sUOC4&mode=related&search=

heartattack and vine...i freakin LOVE this song....i play it on my geetar and ruin my throat tryin to sing it! haha :)

keep on rockin!.......
  • Options
    oh, BTW, check out my version of "Xmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis"...i did it a few months ago out of boredom, and love for that song (on geetar tho, not piano)...lemme know whatcha think of it

http://www.myspace.com/mlboothman

keep on rockin!.......
  • Options
    i don't really see why not, unless you're looking for a particular style.

i just think its a lot of material (some of it not too good) for a new listener. i think its best (with all artists) to start at the beginning and see how they evolved, especiall with TW. you get a better appreciation.
  • Options
    i just think its a lot of material (some of it not too good) for a new listener. i think its best (with all artists) to start at the beginning and see how they evolved, especiall with TW. you get a better appreciation.

I don't think there's a bad song on Orphans. It might be the most quality CD all year, imo. What did you consider weaker?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    that's bullshit. there is quite a bit of range and versatility in his voice, imo, esp the earlier stuff. he can till sing "pretty", but he seems to be getting more "gravely" with age though...you should have heard him at bridge 99.

I kinda think he sounds quite 'pretty' on 'You Can Never Hold Back Spring'. But maybe that's just me. :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options

fair enough.. to be fair, i started with closing time. i turned out alright :).
  • Options
    He was great on Letterman last night!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    you cant try and convince someone that tom waits has a great voice if they dont like it.

its tom waits, love him or leave him.

he's fucking brilliant and im obsessed.

last nights performance was great.

i love orphans

bone machine
    mule variations
    heartattack and vine
    heart of saturday night

all great.
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I think he's performing on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart tonight. No joke.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    Yes he is!!!!
    DOSW wrote:
    I think he's performing on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart tonight. No joke.
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Buy mule variations first I would say. then work forward from the beginning. His early albums are very different to what he does now but amazing nonetheless. I love Small Change. Tom Traubert's blues is beautiful.

"Wasted and wounded,
    it ain't what the moon did.
    I got what I payed for now."
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"