Would you go see Bob Dylan in concert?

bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
edited April 2008 in Other Music
I've been watching some youtube videos of him recently, and his voice has deteriorated so much. Some may call it used, some may just plain call it horrible.
What's your view on his current sounding voice?

In my opinion, as much as I know it's deteriorated, it's not going to stop me from seeing him in concert this May for the first time. He's Bob Dylan, and I'm honored to have a ticket to his concert.

Just an example for anyone who hasn't heard his voice:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=csD3EpzVM_I&feature=related
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Absolutely. His voice may have deteriorated but he sounds better now than he did 10 years ago. Go and enjoy seeing a legend live.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    In a heartbeat.

Saw him last year and would do it again right now.

Could anyone actually pass up the chance to see such a legend?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Dylan puts on the most boring concerts I've ever seen. Yet I see him every time he comes and quite enjoy it. Go for the music, but with low expectations in terms of any stage presence or personality.

Three crooked hearts, swirls all around

You can't spell Gossard without G-O-D
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    yes, I would totally go to see him. He is a legend and very talented in my opinion. Doesn't matter what his age; you can determine whether or not he still can perform after YOU see him. I would definitely go.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    His style/sound has never been my cup of tea so no, I wouldn't see him.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Yes I would, and I have over the years, several times. Bob is one of those guys that you never know what you are going to get. Sometimes you get magic. And, at the end of the day, when he hangs it up for good, I will know I got to see one of the greatest american songwriters in action.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    Ive seen him seven times over the years, mostly with the dead

twice is was great, he played great tunes, full electric and his voice was there

five times, i was ready to leave and did once

hes a legend and a genius

worth seeing, but you know

you pay your money and take your chances
    butterfly1 wrote:
    Yes I would, and I have over the years, several times. Bob is one of those guys that you never know what you are going to get. Sometimes you get magic. And, at the end of the day, when he hangs it up for good, I will know I got to see one of the greatest american songwriters in action.

well said and very true
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Not unless somebody paid my way and then paid me $20/hr for my time.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Shit yeah! I don't care how bad his voice sounds, this man is a legend among legends.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I saw him last year, he was fine...he's a legend. But don't go expecting a greatest hits set, we got 3 'oldies' all reworked in such a fashion that it was difficult to pick them out at first. To be fair, he is excellent, but should be playing smaller venues than we saw him in, I'd say 70% of the audience went away 'sort of disappointed'.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    The only reason I'd go see him live is to say that I've seen a music legend. But then again, the person I'm talking to would then probably ask, "so, how was it?" and then get really disappointed when I would say, "well, it sucked."

So it kinda defeats the purpose. Which is why I probably won't ever see him.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    thing about bob dylan, is that almost all of his songs sound better when someone else is playing and singing em
    DOSW wrote:
    The only reason I'd go see him live is to say that I've seen a music legend. But then again, the person I'm talking to would then probably ask, "so, how was it?" and then get really disappointed when I would say, "well, it sucked."

So it kinda defeats the purpose. Which is why I probably won't ever see him.
    I went in with that expectation, but honestly, it was amazing.

He played Masters Of War in the lawn of our Canadian war museum. It was SOO fucking cool.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Dylan puts on the most boring concerts I've ever seen. Yet I see him every time he comes and quite enjoy it. Go for the music, but with low expectations in terms of any stage presence or personality.

Bingo!
    Listen to this advice.I saw him in 88/89.He was hellish.Hot pokers imbedded into my eyes and ears would have been a greater pleasure.
    He is devoid of personality on stage sounded shit then.Christ knowns how bad he will sound now.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • piaget77piaget77 Posts: 156
    Go.

It's amazing to see such a legend. I saw him back in October, and he really reinfused each song with his distinct energy and subtle passion.

Go. No question.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Yes, go. I've seen him a number of times over the last few years, and never been disappointed. Of course, I wasn't expecting Highway '61 era Dylan for that matter. You may want to get a few boots from current tours so you know what he's singing, and what the current arrangements are. It will definitely help.

I remember when I saw him back in '02, the guy next to me turned to me and said 'I wish he would play...' (don't remember the name of the song). I had to point out to the guy that he played it two songs before, the arrangement was that different.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • pjfan85pjfan85 Posts: 124
    I'm seeing him the 23rd of May in St. John's. Just being in the same room as him is cool. I'd never forgive myself for not going.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    Get_Right wrote:
    thing about bob dylan, is that almost all of his songs sound better when someone else is playing and singing em
    i couldn't DISagree more......say what you want about his voice, but it suits his songs.....when others sing his songs, no matter how good their voice, it sounds like karaoke...they just don't hit the words the right way, no emotion, too much emotion, etc....except eddie vedder, of course
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    i couldn't DISagree more......say what you want about his voice, but it suits his songs.....when others sing his songs, no matter how good their voice, it sounds like karaoke...they just don't hit the words the right way, no emotion, too much emotion, etc....except eddie vedder, of course
    Hendrix doing Like A Rolling Stone kicks ass.
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I saw him in the fall. Good show, I found it a little...boring? I'm not quite sure what I could make out if it. It was mesmerizing and amazing to see a true legend - one of the greatest figures in rock & roll history - alive and playing. The thought of knowing that you are watching the man himself (literally) play live...is quite amazing.

Musically, eh, I found it lacking a little. The band was tight - his voice wasn't intolerable, or even really that bad (it was horrible to begin with...anyone listening to his music for the vocals all these years is out of their mind). I guess I was expecting more of his classic stuff - he played a lot of his newer songs, stuff that I'm not fimiliar with - one reason I found it lacking, I guess.

If you haven't gone to see him - go. Definitely. It's worth it. If you like it, go back again. I might. But I don't regret a cent that I payed for going to see Bob Fuckin' Dylan.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    Since I've seen him live, I guess I have to say that I would go see him in concert. I saw him a couple of years ago at a music festival in Charlotte, NC. He was heads and shoulders better than any other band I saw at that festival and I only wish he could have played longer. Damn those 1 hour time limits for those types of shows.... If I ever have the chance, I would definitely go see him in concert for a full show.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    merkinball wrote:

I remember when I saw him back in '02, the guy next to me turned to me and said 'I wish he would play...' (don't remember the name of the song). I had to point out to the guy that he played it two songs before, the arrangement was that different.

I actually started laughing one night last Spring when I heard one of the songs because I knew the words so well and I realized most people wouldn't even recognize it as the same song!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    In a heartbeat!!!
    I love Bob Dylan! He is great!
    He's a genious who has played too long to give two craps what you or anyone else thinks of him or his style! I love it!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
    StuffnJunk wrote:

perhaps for a purist and I can see that for the studio stuff

Live, BD has made my ears bleed.

Garcia was my favorite singer of Dylan songs. He gave the words something special.
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    i saw him in vancouver. ya have to appreciate his history. oh,and watch his feet.they are always movin
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    DeLukin wrote:
    His style/sound has never been my cup of tea so no, I wouldn't see him.

same here, he is overrated IMHO.

Would I go see Bob Dylan in concert?
    No.
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I have seen him and I would see him again, whether a full show or only a 15 minutes Live Aid 85 3 songs and off performance. A great catalog to choose from and a distinctive style makes for a great evening.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
    Buy his new record.
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    Id definitely go for it, regardless of the deterioration of his voice. Hes been a big influence on me.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."