John Mayer ?!

2»

Comments

• gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I don't really know what his live setlists are like, but I would think it could be a cool show.

Some of his stuff is very 13-year-old-screaming-girl pop type music, but he has some very good bluesy songs. He put out an album with Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino as the John Mayer Trio that was excellent.

He is a VERY good guitar player, and I would imagine he puts on a decent show.

What I would like to have said if I were coherent enough. Great explanation. "Who Did You Think I Was" was a badass blues rock song. Continuum was his latest studio album and was very good. It didn't quite have the bluesy edge of the JMT live album, but I was suprised by how good it was.
  • pirlo21 wrote:
    Help! I've been invited to a John Mayer concert, I won't go into the finer details of with who or why?!! ; )
    Thing is, I really don't know the first thing about the guy! From what I can gather he's kind of Jack Johnson mixed with Ryan Adams-ish !!!
    I may be way off.

What can I expect, and is there an album that may be worth my while checking out?

Any help would be appreciated. Ta!

Check out his most recent album, Continuum or John Mayer Trio (TRY! Live). One of the great young guitar players, heir-apparent to Claption with a touch of SRV. All around good show.
  • wcsmith wrote:
    And, additionally, he seems to have a pretty good sense of humor.
    yeah forgot to mention, hes one of the more intelligent and witty pop artists you're ever going to come across which is refreshing.
  • I've seen him live in a pretty crappy venue and it still sounded great. I like the live stuff better than the studio, he seems to feed off the energy of the crowd. I know a lot of guys who are hesitant, but after hearing his later stuff they're usually suprised!
  • Watch Mayer cover SRV "Empty Arms" with Double Trouble and tell me he doesn't have skills. I love how he makes the solo his own and doesn't just copy what SRV did on the record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSq5AmszniM

I love the TRY! album...wish he would go in that direction more. "Who did you think i was" and "Try!" are both awesome.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I don't really like John Mayer. but if the invitation is from someone of the opposite sex, you should probably go

I think John Mayer is super-talented, but if the invitation is from someone of the opposite sex, you should go no matter what you think of JM.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Ironically, if he was playing a show near me, I think I'd be trying to convince my girlfriend to go.:p He's an awesome guitarist.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB2aLz5YSDo
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    here's his cds/years listed on amazon. look at the song titles of ones dated 2006 then do a search on youtube
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=john+mayer&x=0&y=0

don't worry, his concerts are exactly 1 hour long. I've seen him with Counting Crowes and it was not long at all :(

I think he's great. I have a Crossroads dvd with him and Eric Clapton.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    iluvcats wrote:

don't worry, his concerts are exactly 1 hour long. I've seen him with Counting Crowes and it was not long at all :(

Most his shows are between 1 1/2 and 2 hours. The only reason his shows were shorter that tour is because it was a split bill with the CC. If you go where he's a headliner, his shows are longer.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96