John Mayer ?!

pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Help! I've been invited to a John Mayer concert, I won't go into the finer details of with who or why?!! ; )
Thing is, I really don't know the first thing about the guy! From what I can gather he's kind of Jack Johnson mixed with Ryan Adams-ish !!!
I may be way off.

What can I expect, and is there an album that may be worth my while checking out?

Any help would be appreciated. Ta!
Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I don't really know what his live setlists are like, but I would think it could be a cool show.

Some of his stuff is very 13-year-old-screaming-girl pop type music, but he has some very good bluesy songs. He put out an album with Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino as the John Mayer Trio that was excellent.

He is a VERY good guitar player, and I would imagine he puts on a decent show.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • gtrplyrgtrplyr Posts: 115
    GREAT guitar player. Has some poppy stuff and some bluesy stuff. If you can get past the lame fans, it should be enjoyable.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Thanks for the info guys. I think I can handle that!

Any tracks or a particular album maybe I should try? Don't like going to a gig completely green. Would be nice to know a song or two!
    Cymru Am Byth

1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    He doesn't really play much of his older stuff anymore. He plays pretty much the whole "Continuum" album, which is the one I would suggest you check out. Amazing album.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    He's nothing like Jack Johnson or Ryan Adams. He's a great blues guitarist, a truly great instrumentalist, I just don't like his songs. He's better than Jack Johnson but far inferior to Ryan Adams.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    He doesn't really play much of his older stuff anymore. He plays pretty much the whole "Continuum" album, which is the one I would suggest you check out. Amazing album.

agreed! that continuum cd is so damn good.

to the original poster of this thread...DO NOT miss john mayer live...he is an absolutely incredible guitar player and his band is great to. do not miss it.
  • edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
    I don't know what CD it is, but I heard him do a cover version of Jimi's "Bold as Love". It was a very nice version. I'm not a fan, but I definitely give him props for that. I'd be willing to bet he'll put on a good show. He is a very good guitar player as previous posters have noted. Just go into the show with an open mind and no expectations and you'll most likely be blown away.

Enjoy the show!
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 371
    John Mayer is extremely talented, although I've heard his recent live performances have been very 'textbook'. You should still have a really good time though. His guitar skills are quite phenomenal.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    augustwest wrote:
    DO NOT miss john mayer live...he is an absolutely incredible guitar player and his band is great to. do not miss it.
    Thanks for the advice. He's supporting Clapton in June and I was going to turn up late. Perhaps I'll give him a listen.
  • StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
    check out continuum, great album. Also Try! by the John Mayer Trio, great blues album.

I would go, he's an amazing guitarist
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Ugh,

I fucking hate John Mayer.
  • gtrplyrgtrplyr Posts: 115
    Ugh,

I fucking hate John Mayer.

but Incubus is just the bees knees, right?
  • Indeed.

Incubus is amazing. Mayer isn't.

Simple.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    i love his blue-sey stuff

check out
    'try!'
    'austin city limits'

he's good, trust me.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Puts on a great show..I'd definately go see him again...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Indeed.

Incubus is amazing. Mayer isn't.

Simple.
    Why can't they both be? How can you not see John Mayer as a great guitarist?

I have seen Mayer live, Single best guitar performance i have ever witnessed. O, and Azwe. I have seen Priceless live :)
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    He is amazing live. He really gets soulful and jazzy. I dig it. I went to one of his shows not really knowing him as well. I was impressed. I now own all his albums. If you can find it somewhere, check out his cover of Kid A. It's fucking rad.

He may be a mainstream pop artist. But, unlike many others, he is one I can respect.
    Cock Fight.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Cheers guys. Much appreciated.

Seems I'd be a mug not to go then. Sounds like he puts on one hell of a show.

Strangely, Im kinda looking forward to it now!!

Thanks again.
    Cymru Am Byth

• augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    nuffingman wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. He's supporting Clapton in June and I was going to turn up late. Perhaps I'll give him a listen.

that's a killer show!

john and ec have shared the stage before...so i'd expect jm to join ec at the show for at least 1 song
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    I'll chime in here since John is a very good friend of mine. I've known John for about 20 years and he's only gotten better and better. He's done some amazing things for me (like taking me to Bridge School with him last year and getting me into PJ at Irving Plaza, etc.). He's a great friend and an awesome guitar player.

Songs I'd recommend checking out:

Gravity
    Good Love is on the Way
    Slow Dancing in a Burning Room
    Another Kind of Green
    Belief
    Covered In Rain (my favorite)

Also, PJ related, he's a huge fan.......his favorite album is "No Code".

Enjoy the show, I hope to hit a few this summer.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• 3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    ugh...
    might want to drink 3489232348992359234980238904 beers before you head into that show!

Have fun!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • 3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    Before you all start going nuts on me.... his music is good... the fan base is 15 year old girls.... thats why the 89458923892349896235 drinks will be needed!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Before you all start going nuts on me.... his music is good... the fan base is 15 year old girls.... thats why the 89458923892349896235 drinks will be needed!

I actually disagree with that, a lot of girls but generally a pretty mixed crowd. I've seen him about 30 times in a lot of different places.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    chimpat wrote:
    I'll chime in here since John is a very good friend of mine. I've known John for about 20 years and he's only gotten better and better. He's done some amazing things for me (like taking me to Bridge School with him last year and getting me into PJ at Irving Plaza, etc.). He's a great friend and an awesome guitar player.

Songs I'd recommend checking out:

Gravity
    Good Love is on the Way
    Slow Dancing in a Burning Room
    Another Kind of Green
    Belief
    Covered In Rain (my favorite)

Oh, tell him I love his orgasm/guitar face.

I would like to see John Mayer this summer as well. I was hoping to hit up one of his shows last year. I think he was playing with Ben Folds. That would have been a sweet duo, but I was working :(

I still recommend downloading the cover I have up there. Even if you think you won't like it.
    Cock Fight.
  • NewmanUSPSNewmanUSPS Posts: 243
    My wife dragged me last summer and I thought he was really good...
    Most people with low self-esteem have earned it.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Not a huge fan of his voice but he is an AMAZING guitar player!!!
  • lksammktlksammkt Posts: 127
    okay - so my boyfriend just sent me the following text and this is how I responded:

BF - John Mayer July 25th?
    Me - Absloutly Not
    BF - Serious?
    Me - I would rather take sharp pencils to my eyelids
    BF - I didn't know I had a phsyco as a girlfriend
    Me - You spelled psycho wrong. xoxoxo

Am I really being a biotch here? Not so much we just saw EV in Berkely last week!!!
    I just keep moving on....
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Help! I've been invited to a John Mayer concert, I won't go into the finer details of with who or why?!! ; )
    Thing is, I really don't know the first thing about the guy! From what I can gather he's kind of Jack Johnson mixed with Ryan Adams-ish !!!
    I may be way off.

What can I expect, and is there an album that may be worth my while checking out?

Any help would be appreciated. Ta!

I don't really like John Mayer. but if the invitation is from someone of the opposite sex, you should probably go
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    I just got Continuum and Try! and I'm pretty impressed. I am pretty much a musical snob/elitist and I consider my standards to be pretty high. I have really enjoyed Continuum. What I've heard of Try seems to be top notch, as well. They do not sound remotely like DMB, by the way. I'm reminded of 80's smooth rock mixed with Clapton's 80's/90's output. Lyrically, he's a little scattershot, but it's hard to argue with his sense of melody, abilities on the guitar, and choice of sidemen. Plus, if B.B. King, Buddy Guy, and Clapton see fit to share a stage with the man, who are we to question his credentials?

And, additionally, he seems to have a pretty good sense of humor.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"