Tool - Should I check 'em out?!

pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Heard lots & lots of good things said on here about Tool. But I've never listened to them !
Loads of people on these boards have said some Tool albums are 'the best ever' !!
So I was wondering if I should give them a try, what to expect and is there any particular album I should go for first?

I'm mainly into Pearl Jam (obviously!), Soundgarden, Dinosaur Jr, Neil Young, Super Furry Animals, The Charlatans.....

Any advice would be much appreciated, ta.
Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• umm silly question really, YES.

my god, yes, start with aenima, then 10,000 days then lateralus...lateralus is amazing but you might need to be familiar with their stuff before you can crack it...

good luck, you have an amazing journey ahead of you...i saw tool twice this tour and was blown out of my seat..their live show is heads above others, been to over 100 shows and they are top five, up there with pearl jam and u2...
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Waste not one more second.

:D

Lately, I can't get enough of 10,000 Days.

Pick any of them. You can't go wrong.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Really? What kind of sound is it?
    I've really not looked into them at all, just noticed loads of people hold them with such high esteem.

From what you guys say, and the enthusiasm with which it was said, I think I'll invest. Next stop, amazon !!

Cheers.

I'll report back when I've had e few listens !!
    Cymru Am Byth

1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,882
    uh yes!

get anemia, there are some filler tracks, but that's part of their style, just give the whole album a listen before you start skipping tracks.

I skipped euology for a long time cuz the song goes for about a minute before it really starts, and now it's one of my fav songs.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Anemia.

would be a great place to start.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Lateralus is pretty much one of the most incredible albums I've ever heard. just stunning. not for everyone though. I recommend getting Aenima first, as others have said, and then perhaps Undertow which is probably the most "normal" rock record. I wouldn't agree with getting 10,000 days until hearing those since it's not really as great overall. some amazing tracks though.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Listen to everything except 10,000 days. That album just blows, IMO.
  • I would recommend starting with Ænima.

Then Undertow and Lateralus.

My personal favs are Ænima and Opiate, but a lot of people find Opiate to be a little too basic and raw compared to Tool's later work.
  • definitely go see them.

Last tour we had seats up and to the left and were able to see all sorts of cool stuff projected on the stage. Great visuals/atmosphere to go along with great music.

10000 days took longer to get into but not that bad overall. Right in two is probably my favorite.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Their albums are all good. Live check em out once. They may never change their setlist again.
  • Yeah, I don't know alot of them. But I must say; Eulogy and Sober both kick all asses of the metal world;)
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
  • its_okits_ok Posts: 200
    umm silly question really, YES.

my god, yes, start with aenima, then 10,000 days then lateralus...lateralus is amazing but you might need to be familiar with their stuff before you can crack it...

Can't agree with you more. Save the best for last. Lateralus is by far their best record, and one of my all time favorites, all categories...but it is kinda hard to get into (how long didn't it take for me to realize Reflection is an amazing song). Aenima is def second best, some epic songs on there, and much easier than Lateralus to come in to. 10 000 days is good, but compared to Laterlus and Aenima, a big disappointment. Undertow and Opiate are as some already said, more "normal" rock records with songs like Sober and Opiate.

The music keeps getting better and more complex from their first EP Opiate up to Lateralus...but they took a step back with 10 000 days IMO.
    PJ
    2000 Roskilde, 2006 Barcelona, 2007 London, Copenhagen, 2008 New York 1, New York 2, 2009 Berlin, 2010 Dublin, Belfast, 2012 Amsterdam 1, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, 2013 Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014 Milan, Trieste, Berlin, Stockholm, Milton Keynes

EV
    2012 Manchester, London 1, London 2
  • Tool is definetly the greatest band around today, PERIOD. One more great album from those guys and I would be content for the rest of my life. But to answer your question, I would recommend starting with Undertow. It's their first full-length album and is very starightforward rock/metal. Not as challenging or complex as their later works, but still kicks ass. I highly recommend working your way up in order after that:Aenima, Lateralus, 10,000 Days. Their all great, but it requires some effort and patience from the listener. The albums average well over 70 minutes and many songs are 9-11 minute long epics, so don't expect to hear U2 pop songs! If you stick with it however, the pay off will be very worth it. If you get frustrated and find it's not for you, you can always buy the new Pearl Jam or Chris Cornell.
    BTW, try APC as well. Their more accessable.
  • i was in the same boat as your good self so i bought 10,000 days or whatever its called on the same day as PJ's latest and its utter bollocks, i cant see why anyone would like it at all, absolute dog cock im afraid. BUT if we all liked the same things the world would be a very dull place wouldnt it? Just steal some off torrentspy and save ya money, then IF ya do like it ya can waste some of your own cash on the shit ;) haha

but seriously...........................i would say they were utter drivel at best, bordering on painful to listen to.
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • I think they are incredibly overrated. Their sound is okay but I hate the singers voice and I just dont think they are all that creative or catchy enough for me.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • They are very intense and very good. I never really cared for what I heard on the radio, but some people encouraged me to check out the albums, and
    once I did, I became a pretty big fan. I could take awhile to fully grasp them, but once you're in,,.....you're in
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Heard lots & lots of good things said on here about Tool. But I've never listened to them !
    Loads of people on these boards have said some Tool albums are 'the best ever' !!
    So I was wondering if I should give them a try, what to expect and is there any particular album I should go for first?

I'm mainly into Pearl Jam (obviously!), Soundgarden, Dinosaur Jr, Neil Young, Super Furry Animals, The Charlatans.....

YES! YES! YES!!! :D

Start anywhere, just get started! :)

I personally started with Aenima and then went back for Opiate and Undertow and then just kept updating as the new stuff came out.
    I have favs on every album now. :)

Might not be your thing, BUT you either love em or you hate em.

Good luck, let us know how you go. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Jesus, won't you fucking whistle something but the past and done? Why can't we not be sober? I just want to start this over. Why can't we drink forever. I just want to start things over.

I would definitely start at the beginning... "Opiate"
    The song "Opiate" happens to be a personal favorite.
    Jesus, won't you fucking whistle something but the past and done? Why can't we not be sober? I just want to start this over. Why can't we drink forever. I just want to start things over.

I would definitely start at the beginning... "Opiate"
    The song "Opiate" happens to be a personal favorite.

Damn you!! ;) Now I gotta go play it at 11! :D

**sigh** how I love Sober

There's a shadow just behind me,
    shrouding every step I take,
    making every promise empty,
    pointing every finger at me.
    Waiting like a stalking butler
    who upon the finger rests.
    Murder now the path called "must we"
    just because the son has come.
    Jesus, won't you fucking whistle
    something but the past and done?

Why can't we not be sober?
    I just want to start this over.
    Why can't we drink forever.
    I just want to start things over.

I am just a worthless liar.
    I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you.
    Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you.
    I will chew it up and leave,
    I will work to elevate you
    just enough to bring you down.

Trust me.

Mother Mary won't you whisper
    something but what's past and done.

Trust me.

I want what I want.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • pirlo21 wrote:

I say you're probably wasting your time, unless you're ready to look at music in a very different way. Tool is nothing like any of the bands you mentioned. They work on a much deeper level. Plus they're closer to metal than grunge, although I wouldn't classify them as metal.

If you decide to check them out, I'd say go with Aenima.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Lateralus is the only album I have and it is amazing. I think eventually I'm going to get sucked into Tool..... its just a matter of time.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    i'm not over them.... i dont think i ever will be.. they were my favourite band at a time when there was a lot of good music out in the mid 90s... definitely check out Aenima

I don't listen to them much anymore but thats not to say Lateralus and 10,000 days aren't great albums! I'm just more into other music nowadays... but if you haven't.... by all means check them out!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    tool is amazing.. you must check them out...

one of the greatest drummers to exist Danny Carey..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JVbFrl9wLBA
  • Saturnal wrote:
    I say you're probably wasting your time, unless you're ready to look at music in a very different way. Tool is nothing like any of the bands you mentioned. They work on a much deeper level. Plus they're closer to metal than grunge, although I wouldn't classify them as metal.

If you decide to check them out, I'd say go with Aenima.

Only if you're a person that listens strictly to one type of music. I'm the biggest SG fan, but also a huge Tool fan. Actually, Tool is from the same generation of music as those guys, I don't think they're completely different.
    "Would I rather be feared or loved? Um... Easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me." -Michael Scott
  • JPS79JPS79 Posts: 148
    If you're not too much into the heavier side of rock music I would suggest a perfect circle instead, same singer but a little more melodic.
    Seems the more you make
    equals the loneliness you get
    JPS79 wrote:
    If you're not too much into the heavier side of rock music I would suggest a perfect circle instead, same singer but a little more melodic.

Good suggestion! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Cheers everyone. All your comments have been taken on board!!

From what evenybody says, it seems the pros, outweigh the cons. So I think I'll give 'em a go.
    Cymru Am Byth

• memememe Posts: 4,695
    I don't like them. I tried and I tried, but I finally came to the conclusion that they are not for me.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Cheers everyone. All your comments have been taken on board!!

From what evenybody says, it seems the pros, outweigh the cons. So I think I'll give 'em a go.

I doubt very much you'll ever regret it! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    just listen to Isis bro.

Aenima is good. Undertow is pretty good. Opiate is good. Laturalus is hit or miss. didn't care for 10,000 Days.