Options

Queens of the Stone Age - Where to start?

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mrussel1 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Those setlists are fucking awesome. Here's the setlist of one of my all time favorite shows...by any band. They flat our brought it to a small outdoor venue (2500) here in KC. Royal Blood opened and killed it as well.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queens-of-the-stone-age/2017/crossroads-kc-kansas-city-mo-2be3dc02.html
    Nice!  I've never seen them play Headache, that I can remember.  I saw that tour, with Royal Blood opening.  They were great too and fit the style of the show perfectly.  It was at the Anthem in DC.  

I've always wondered why they hardly ever play 3&7's anymore.  I looked and it's been played only 12 times in the last decade.  
    From what I've read on Reddit, I guess Era Vulgaris is a pretty polarizing album among the fan base, which I found odd.... I don't know that there's any songs on it that I skip. That's not necessarily why they don't play 3s&7s (i have no idea), but regardless, I was surprised to hear that album was divisive. I can see why some people may have struggled to digest LC or Villains, but EV was a head scratcher for me.

Anyone catch the 2011 tour, where they played the self titled album front to back? Another amazing show. 
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queens-of-the-stone-age/2011/house-of-blues-boston-ma-3d2596f.html
    super fans of Q in my circle fucking hated Era. I have zero clue why. I mean, it's not like it was their Popmart. I saw them twice on that tour. I fucking love that record. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Now that's some shit right there.  I am going to mark to watch later.  I think the Pink Pop show with them is online in pro shot.  
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    that is a great setlist. I also saw them in '05 (fall) but they opened up for NIN.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    that is a great setlist. I also saw them in '05 (fall) but they opened up for NIN.
    yeah, they came back 6 months later opening for NIN. that was a great night
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    mrussel1 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Those setlists are fucking awesome. Here's the setlist of one of my all time favorite shows...by any band. They flat our brought it to a small outdoor venue (2500) here in KC. Royal Blood opened and killed it as well.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queens-of-the-stone-age/2017/crossroads-kc-kansas-city-mo-2be3dc02.html
    Nice!  I've never seen them play Headache, that I can remember.  I saw that tour, with Royal Blood opening.  They were great too and fit the style of the show perfectly.  It was at the Anthem in DC.  

I've always wondered why they hardly ever play 3&7's anymore.  I looked and it's been played only 12 times in the last decade.  
    From what I've read on Reddit, I guess Era Vulgaris is a pretty polarizing album among the fan base, which I found odd.... I don't know that there's any songs on it that I skip. That's not necessarily why they don't play 3s&7s (i have no idea), but regardless, I was surprised to hear that album was divisive. I can see why some people may have struggled to digest LC or Villains, but EV was a head scratcher for me.

Anyone catch the 2011 tour, where they played the self titled album front to back? Another amazing show. 
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queens-of-the-stone-age/2011/house-of-blues-boston-ma-3d2596f.html
    super fans of Q in my circle fucking hated Era. I have zero clue why. I mean, it's not like it was their Popmart. I saw them twice on that tour. I fucking love that record. 
    I could understand someone disliking …LC or Villains more than EV, but with that being said, I love every one of their albums. There’s a few songs I skip here & there, but overall their catalog is just spectacular. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Likewise. 

We were lingering after as we finished our drinks & Grohl came out to break down his own kit. 

Took the time to shake hands with & talk to all of us. He’s as nice & gracious in person as he comes across in interviews. 

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mfc2006 said:

I could understand someone disliking …LC or Villains more than EV, but with that being said, I love every one of their albums. There’s a few songs I skip here & there, but overall their catalog is just spectacular. 
    I'm with you. Not a bad album out there. My least favorite is probably their self titled debut album though, then probably Lullabies.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Likewise. 

We were lingering after as we finished our drinks & Grohl came out to break down his own kit. 

Took the time to shake hands with & talk to all of us. He’s as nice & gracious in person as he comes across in interviews. 

$12.50 when i saw them :wink::smile:

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    This is a great pro shot.

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    mrussel1 said:
    mfc2006 said:

I'm with you. Not a bad album out there. My least favorite is probably their self titled debut album though, then probably Lullabies.

I agree with this. I've often found EV to be amazing and love the first 8 songs. LC is a masterpiece and what made me a true fan. Loved Villains and can't wait for their next release.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I need to give Villains another listen. My gut reaction at the time wasn’t all that positive. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 820
    Felt like Like Clockwork b-sides to me.

However Feet Don't Fail Me is a banger.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    JT167846 said:

Yes I agree.  That's a good analogy.  I think the record is just okay.  
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I love Villains 
    I get why others don’t, but I think it’s fantastic, and a great addition to their catalog.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    mrussel1 said:
    JT167846 said:

Yes I agree.  That's a good analogy.  I think the record is just okay.  
    Agree.  Was listening to this in the car this weekend for the first time a long while. A few great songs and the rest are just okay.  Not bad, but okay. 
  • Options

I think Unreborn Again, Head Like a Haunted House, The Evil Has Landed and Villains of Circumstance are as good as pretty much anything in their entire catalog.  
  • Options

I think Unreborn Again, Head Like a Haunted House, The Evil Has Landed and Villains of Circumstance are as good as pretty much anything in their entire catalog.  
    Yes, and I love Domesticated Animals and Feet Don't Fail Me. I think the transition to Fortress from DA is great too. I really like that song. It took me a while to get in to the whole album, but I still don't skip a song if I listen to it.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

Yes, and I love Domesticated Animals and Feet Don't Fail Me. I think the transition to Fortress from DA is great too. I really like that song. It took me a while to get in to the whole album, but I still don't skip a song if I listen to it.
    Domesticated Animals took me the longest to get into. I'm still trying to figure out the time on it, they're doing something funky in there I haven't been able to wrap my brain around, but I really like it. 

Lyrically, the album is phenomenal too; Haunted House & Un-Reborn Again are classic JH play on words, and Fortress is just so beautifully written. From a lyrics standpoint, I think Villains is a masterpiece. 

While on the subject of transitions, how beautiful is the end of Un-Reborn with the string section? 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Ruh roh. Especially concerning for me given that they're supposed to be at Boston Calling a week later.

• Options
    More European dates announced. 

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Anyone dismissing the first album I just don't get it.  That was head and shoulders their best album.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Anyone dismissing the first album I just don't get it.  That was head and shoulders their best album.
    Well, I rate that right along with anyone who says Ten is PJs best album :wink:

Opinions man, we've all got one, but only mine matters when it comes to good music :lol:
  • Options
    tbergs said:

Opinions man, we've all got one, but only mine matters when it comes to good music :lol:
    I think the awesome thing about QOTSA is how varied the opinions are about them. Their catalog has something for everyone. 
  • Options
    tbergs said:

tbergs said:

I think the awesome thing about QOTSA is how varied the opinions are about them. Their catalog has something for everyone. 
    I tend to agree with you about Ten.  ST for them though just hits differently than the others.  It still has traces of Kyuss which is why I love it.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

tbergs said:

I tend to agree with you about Ten.  ST for them though just hits differently than the others.  It still has traces of Kyuss which is why I love it.
    ST is phenomenal... Rated R was when I first heard of them, and SFTD is what really got my interest. I never got into Kyuss, but want to. 

& for my $, ST might be my favorite after SFTD... Mexicola and Give the Mule What it Wants are just mind blowing. My friend and I were f'ing around with C standard tuning and were playing those two songs... they're so uncomplicated, and yet so well written. 

Where should I start w/ Kyuss? 
  • Options
    tbergs said:

tbergs said:

ST is phenomenal... Rated R was when I first heard of them, and SFTD is what really got my interest. I never got into Kyuss, but want to. 

& for my $, ST might be my favorite after SFTD... Mexicola and Give the Mule What it Wants are just mind blowing. My friend and I were f'ing around with C standard tuning and were playing those two songs... they're so uncomplicated, and yet so well written. 

Give Welcome to Sky Valley a listen.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    tbergs said:

tbergs said:

kyuss, john garcia is the weak link on vocals. that voice doesnt match the music at all imo.... if anywhere
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    tbergs said:

tbergs said:

kyuss, john garcia is the weak link on vocals. that voice doesnt match the music at all imo.... if anywhere
    Agreed.  The music I love and then he sings and I'm like, nope!
  • Options
    new album, In Times New Roman, coming out in June is the rumour. 

rqotsa - Not sure if this has been posted but the album is definitely part of a trilogy read bottom of the back cover

new band logo:

rqotsa - New logo from STOREQOTSA in high res

first single Emotion Sickness out May 11

Post image
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com