Greatest Tragically Hip tune

2»

Comments

• Thugs!!
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    yeah, I checked out some of their stuff with all the threads here, I like it.

The New Orleans song jumped out first...I like it, very kinda bluesy and building.

not to pick on Canada...but I hear a definite Guess Who sound from these guys, very cool.

You should definitely check out some of their other stuff as well, particularly their more recent material. "New Orleans is Sinking" is a great song and a bona fide Canadian rock n' roll classic, but that tune was released 17 years ago. The Hip have written much better songs since then and they've really honed their sound and evolved into an incredibly unique band that doesn't sound anything like their early bar band days. I recommend checking out their double-disc greatest hits package "Yer Favourites", and that'll give you a good idea of where they've been and where they're headed.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Thugs!!

Good call. I love that song!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Just listening to a bootleg from Germany i've never heard before.. sounds amazing

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=23142

Hip circa '93 :)
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Yesss...You are correct sir... Fiddler's Green I didn't even think of that one and its a classic from Road Apples. Good one.
    lukin14 wrote:
    maybe my eyes deceive me but no one said Fiddler's Green?

other personal favorites:

The Darkest One
    Ahead by a Century
    Fireworks

Hopefully more tour dates to come. . I missed them the last time they were in Halifax and kicked myself for it.. but I had an exam for work to cram for, "D" for Done. well, got a C so even better.
  • Killer whale Tank was cool but check out Nautical Disaster (the sinking nuclear sub mix) Just the coolest bootleg and mix I've ever heard. They switch form New Orleans is sinkin' to Nautical Disaster and back again its really seamless and quite a breathtaking version.

breath_gal wrote:
    Highway Girl

I love that live version of New Orleans with the Killer Whale Tank Tag
  • Oh Man! Did anyone say The Luxury ?!!!
  • Distictly CANADIAN!!
    yeah, I checked out some of their stuff with all the threads here, I like it.

The New Orleans song jumped out first...I like it, very kinda bluesy and building.

not to pick on Canada...but I hear a definite Guess Who sound from these guys, very cool.
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    Grace, too.
    Even though I should probably say Springtime in Vienna ;)
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson