Icky Thump vs. Avocada

otis mcflusterotis mcfluster Posts: 536
edited July 2007 in Other Music
So now that Icky Thump has been released for a few weeks I thought I would pose this question:

Which album do you like more? Icky Thump or Avocado?

Vote here:
http://www.opinionpower.com/Surveys/622049340.html

Discuss below:
It was a tough decision for me, but in the end I chose Icky Thump. It certainly wouldn’t beat every PJ album in a head-to-head, but it just edges out Avocado in my mind.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    I love Icky Thump but I have to completely disagree. The Avocado is one of PJ's best efforts to date.
  • Obsidian22Obsidian22 Posts: 298
    It's like choosing apples vs oranges. No comparison. Why compare? After just seeing The White Stripes live in Toronto, last thursday, I still would pick (if I have to) AVACADO baby.
    I love Jack and Meg, but COME ON... Pearl Jam Rules. I can listen to any PJ album anytime,no contest there. 5 musicians are totally better than just 2.Pearl jam are too genius, and lets not forget about LYRICS people.
    cheers from Toronto.
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's Soul remains Unawakened.
    Anatole France
  • I absolutley LOVE Icky Thump... but Pearl Jam is/has/and always will be my favorite band. I am biased, but I think all their albums (top to bottom) are better than any other album.

Though for 2007... Icky Thump has been my favorite album.
    Drunk by noon but that's ok
    I'll be president someday

I have been to, and have the following posters framed:
    Hartford 96,
    Boston 98, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006
  • Obsidian22 wrote:
    It's like choosing apples vs oranges. No comparison. Why compare?
    Um...OK. Would you prefer an apple or an orange?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Um...OK. Would you prefer an apple or an orange?

I prefer an avacado

but an icky thump is not bad either.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    When choosing apples vs oranges, I would pick a mango over both, mixed with a little avacado!
    Stone and Mike are pure guitar cosmic rock energy, fueled by Eddie's vocals and master lyrical genius. Matt and Jeff are unbelievably talented and make the Jam stick.
    I love going on a ride, when listening to music. The White Stripes are fucking awesome, but holy fuck Jack's a bit of a bipolar space cadet, whose singing talent is questionable. Granted he is the main talent behind TWS, but every song is a little rollercoaster ride of insanity.
    Anatole France
  • piaget77piaget77 Posts: 156
    Avocado. No question.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Hmm. I'm not gonna compare. Both kick ass.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Avocado vs. Icky Thump
    01. Life Wasted > Icky Thump (really close)
    02. WWS < You Don't Know What Love Is
    03. Comatose > 300 MPH Torrential Outpoor Blues
    04. Severed Hand > Conquest
    05. MITS > Bone Broke
    06. Parachutes > Prickly Thorn...
    07. Unemployable > St. Andrew
    08. Big Wave < Little Cream Soda
    09. Gone < Rag & Bone (no contest here)
    10. Wasted Reprise < I'm Slowly Turning Into You
    11. Army Reserve < A Martyr For My Love For You
    12. Come Back < Catch Hell Blues
    13. Inside Job < Effect & Cause

6 for Avocado vs. 7 for Icky Thump in head-to-head.

Overall, I like Icky Thump more.
    If you're headed to the grave,
    you don't blame the hearse.

07/09/03, 05/05/06, 06/01/06, 06/03/06
  • How about the fact that I misspelled Avocado in the thread title.

I’m retarded.
  • CornishManCornishMan Posts: 447
    I don't think this will be a fair contest on a Pearl Jam message forum! ;)

Funny old thing... my vote is for Avocado!!
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022, Manchester 2024.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    1) - its avocado
    2) - dont even try to compare that with pearl jam
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    So now that Icky Thump has been released for a few weeks I thought I would pose this question:

Which album do you like more? Icky Thump or Avocado?

Vote here:
    http://www.opinionpower.com/Surveys/622049340.html

Discuss below:
    It was a tough decision for me, but in the end I chose Icky Thump. It certainly wouldn’t beat every PJ album in a head-to-head, but it just edges out Avocado in my mind.
    avocado...

i would rather listen to the Michael Bolton library then hear 1 tune from the white stripes
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • idratherbeidratherbe Posts: 367
    oppie1 wrote:
    i would rather listen to the Michael Bolton library then hear 1 tune from the white stripes

Well now THAT is just crazy talk. :D The Stripes put out some absolutely killer tunes -- pure rock the way very few produce any more.

I vote for Avocado, though. :)

~peace~
    Never allow someone to be your Priority,
    While allowing yourself to be their Option.

‹^›_‹(ô¿ô)›_‹^›

Please visit daily: www.theanimalrescuesite.com
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    idratherbe wrote:
    Well now THAT is just crazy talk. :D The Stripes put out some absolutely killer tunes -- pure rock the way very few produce any more.

I vote for Avocado, though. :)

~peace~
    i can't stand jacks voice, his awful guitar playing, or meg's kindergarten drumming talent..
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
    I want to thank u for starting this thread. I am waiting on my Gorge cds, and Icky Thump from Amazon. I did hear Icky once since it was released. So, back to thanking you. Yeah I pulled out AVACADO today and listened to it for the gazillionith time. I am never bored or IRRRITATED by any of the tracks.
    My boyfriend can listen to Icky while I relish in live at the Gorge/06 for weeks and weeks.
    On a side note. My ears were ringing for 2 days from the loud screeching vocals of Jack and crazy guitar riffs. If I had to pick between Pearl Jam and TWS live show to go to. Hands down Pearl Jam. I remember going through a withdrawal period. The pit was a saving grace for me the following months our boys toured. Come back to Canada soon eh!
    Anatole France
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    I voted Icky Thump cause it has 3000 MPH Outpour and Catch Hell. Those two songs make it easy.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Avacado all day, has an incredibly replay value and such quality songs. One of my favorite Pearl Jam albums in fact.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Here's the thing...

My 5 favorite songs from Avocado:
    -Marker
    -Parachutes
    -Army Reserve
    -Come Back
    -Inside Job

Perhaps the 5 "softest" songs on the album? That's not to say I am just a Vedder ballad type fan, I just really think that Pearl Jam's older "heavy" songs are lot's better than their recent harder stuff.

For example, I think that:
    -Even Flow
    -Go
    -Once
    -Rearviewmirror
    -Last Exit
    -Hail, Hail

Are far superior to:
    -Evacuation
    -Save You
    -Ghost
    -Life Wasted
    -World Wide Suicide
    -Big Wave

I think that Green Disease is the bands most recent great heavy song. I'm sure some will argue the definition of heavy or aggressive or whatever. But that’s how I feel.

In my mind PJ writes 4-5 amazing songs with every album, but over the last 3-4 albums all the great songs have been softer and less aggressive.

The general consensus was that Avocado brought back the old aggressive PJ sound, but I think it was sort of tempered (slightly generic aggression) rather than the progressive and innovative sounds such as Marker, Parachutes, Inside Job, etc. Or like Even Flow, Last Exit, & Hail, Hail were when they debuted.

So in my mind you have 2 attempts at aggressive rock music, Avocado & Icky Thump. I think Icky Thump was better executed. Hence my vote.
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    oppie1 wrote:
    avocado...

A true friend and musical soulmate!
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
    oppie1 wrote:
    i can't stand jacks voice, his awful guitar playing, or meg's kindergarten drumming talent..

Are you me in a parallel universe?

eclectic wrote:
    Are you (and) me in a parallel universe?

It is possible.
    Obsidian22 wrote:
    I want to thank u for starting this thread. I am waiting on my Gorge cds, and Icky Thump from Amazon. I did hear Icky once since it was released. So, back to thanking you. Yeah I pulled out AVACADO today and listened to it for the gazillionith time. I am never bored or IRRRITATED by any of the tracks.
    My boyfriend can listen to Icky while I relish in live at the Gorge/06 for weeks and weeks.
    On a side note. My ears were ringing for 2 days from the loud screeching vocals of Jack and crazy guitar riffs. If I had to pick between Pearl Jam and TWS live show to go to. Hands down Pearl Jam. I remember going through a withdrawal period. The pit was a saving grace for me the following months our boys toured. Come back to Canada soon eh!

Not even Army Reserve and Unemployable just a little bit?!

• itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    avocado, but megs rack is totally hotter than matts ;)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Avocado = every song is good, my 2nd favorite pj album
    Icky thump= 2nd best white stripes record, but the single "icky thump" sucks. It's the worst song on the album, and terrible choice for radio to introduce this record.

That being said, Avocado wins by one song, but really these two bands can't be compared. They are 2 of my favorite bands, but completely different music styles. Even though the White stripes are one of my favorite bands, I don't like their self titled album it's got like 3 good songs and that's it.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • MLB5150MLB5150 Posts: 70
    5 against... 2? Ah.

Who cares though? Pearl Jam wins by 3.
    "Who did you say you were, replacing might for miracles?" - ajc
  • jubla19jubla19 Posts: 16
    For me, it is certainly Icky Thump.
    MLB5150 wrote:
    5 against... 2? Ah.

Who cares though? Pearl Jam wins by 3.

I like to think of it this way: WEhich band has more talent per capita? By the way, when calculating the White Stripes score, don't count Meg. She's just a drum machine with boobies.
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,901
    icky thump is meg white behind the kit. jack white can play some cool riffs, but he's no match for pearl jam and self titled.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • The Raconteurs was the best album of 06. IMO. Icky or Avacodo, tough call, I think it is a tie.