Audioslave

2»

Comments

• boroff89 wrote:
    Here's some blasphemy for you: Tom Morello drove this band into the ground. His obligatory solo 3/4 of the way through every Audioslave song was almost always unnecessary and rarely did anything to enhance the songs. The other two Rage guys stepped up their games, Morello never did. He's the most overrated hack of a guitarist in the modern era of rock.

You are a complete moron and should never post about guitar players ever again.

Cornell killed this band. Morello is one of the best players of our generation.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Brain Of E wrote:
    i think this was one of the greatest things to ever happen in modern rock. I agree that it was not as awesome as soundgarden or ratm, but it was pretty awsome in it's own right.

The first band that got me into music: Audioslave (I was 12 when I first listened to them). First and maybe best live experience: Audioslave.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980

I don't think anyone is saying that Morello is a bad guitarist. Far from it, he's one of the best. But just because you can make all of those wacky sounds on a guitar...sure, it's technically good but for me, half of the time it just sounded like shite and completely didn't fit with the song. It seemed like he was just doing these ridclious solos becuase he could, rather than trying to make them fit into the song. Case in point, the solo on "Bring Em Back Alive."

I know it's his trademark but to be fair, I wish he'd do some more traditional solos like on the first Rage album. I don't think Morello was awful in Audioslave - fucking amazing riffs and when the solos 'fit', they were incredible (Like A Stone, Yesterday To Tomorrow) but he didn't seem to experiment and it just got annoying.

Not to mention that all of their songs seem to have the same structure - verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, solo, chorus or whatever. That made for some catchy songs but I dunno, I guess I just wanted more than catchy songs from some of the greatest artists of the 90s.
  • muppet wrote:
    I don't think anyone is saying that Morello is a bad guitarist. Far from it, he's one of the best. But just because you can make all of those wacky sounds on a guitar...sure, it's technically good but for me, half of the time it just sounded like shite and completely didn't fit with the song. It seemed like he was just doing these ridclious solos becuase he could, rather than trying to make them fit into the song. Case in point, the solo on "Bring Em Back Alive."

I know it's his trademark but to be fair, I wish he'd do some more traditional solos like on the first Rage album. I don't think Morello was awful in Audioslave - fucking amazing riffs and when the solos 'fit', they were incredible (Like A Stone, Yesterday To Tomorrow) but he didn't seem to experiment and it just got annoying.

Not to mention that all of their songs seem to have the same structure - verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, solo, chorus or whatever. That made for some catchy songs but I dunno, I guess I just wanted more than catchy songs from some of the greatest artists of the 90s.

That's cause Audioslave was nothing more than a corporate rock band put together by a record label that seems authentic because of the caliber of musicians involved.

I remember when the rumors of Cornell and the Rage guys jamming first came out. It got huge press and people got excited. Then, if you guys remember, they broke up and stopped jamming. The buzz was so huge, the record company paid them a shit load of bucks to make a couple of albums and they did.
  • Duder5k wrote:
    In a decade full of whiney good charlotte-type bands, they were a blessing. I remember first hearing Shadow On The Sun in the movie collateral and thats what got me into them. Gonna miss 'em.
    Shit, even Good Charlotte had a handful of decent songs now and then, at least compared to these guys.
  • Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    The albums certainly got worse, but seeing them live was awesome.
    your light's reflected now
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    seeing them live was awesome. saw them on both tours, and both the audioslave-only set and the mixed AS/RATM/SG sets blew your face off with pure heaviness.

i initially expected very little after the way they formed (which as said above seemed to be hugely about getting squeezing money out of their reputations), but I later came to think that their first album is one of the finest rock albums i will ever buy. they were ON

And despite the bland 2nd album there were moments where each of the guys could step up and make something about most song interesting (good examples - the brilliant lyrics of "your time has come", guitars on "yesterday to tomorrow" and pretty much every bass line commerford ever played)....dont know enough about drumming to say.

I really liked the third album, Wake Up, Moth, Jewel, and Shape Of Things To Come are class songs.

really cant help but feel it was a missed opportunity to move beyond the simple structures they mainly stuck to.

they could have made historical music....
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    I agree (as it was said before) that every release got worse. I still like Soundgarden and of course Rage..when both bands split it was kind of dissappointing. Then came the news of the creation of Audioslave, sounded like a good idea..but damn i was wrong. There was never a real chemistry between the two parts, its a shame that such great musicians couldn't pull up a nice proyect. There was always some sort of taste that they all couldn't show the best of them together.
    To end this statement i think it was a wise decision to break up..once things start bad they end worse. I hope Rage could release a new album since a Soundgarden reunion is far from becoming a reality.
  • Audioslave: love them. Now that the dust has settled, I'd definately say OOE is my personal favorite. Best output by them, been listening to it constantly for a week or two now.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430

I know he's a great guitar player, and he did some great work in RATM, but his solos after the first album are just boring soundwanks.
  • ii44 wrote:
    I know he's a great guitar player, and he did some great work in RATM, but his solos after the first album are just boring soundwanks.

He was amazing on both EE and Battle Of LA.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786

I stand by my opinion. Morello ran this band into the ground. He is nowhere near one of the best players of this generation. He came up with one innovative idea and repeated it again and again, regardless of whether or not it fit the song. That isn't what a great guitar player does. That people nut themselves over his shit while completely ignoring truly talented guitarists like Lindsay Buckingham is a crime of epic proportions. I could run off a list of 25-30 guitarists from the last 17 years before I would even think about mentioning Morello.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    I stand by my opinion. Morello ran this band into the ground. He is nowhere near one of the best players of this generation. He came up with one innovative idea and repeated it again and again, regardless of whether or not it fit the song. That isn't what a great guitar player does. That people nut themselves over his shit while completely ignoring truly talented guitarists like Lindsay Buckingham is a crime of epic proportions. I could run off a list of 25-30 guitarists from the last 17 years before I would even think about mentioning Morello.

The reason Tom Morello is so awesome is because he is a true innovator. No one ever played like him and probably never will. He used the guitar like a DJ-table and not a guitar. No one else even tried shit like this man. He can make his guitar make sounds that I don't think anyone else could even dream of. Let's be honest, everyone can play a nice pentatonic scale and make it sound all pretty, but that gets old so fast. I'm not saying Lindsay Buckingham is not a good guitarist, he is fantastic, but I mean compared to Tom Morello?
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    He was amazing on both EE and Battle Of LA.

first Audioslave album

should have been clearer
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    The reason Tom Morello is so awesome is because he is a true innovator. No one ever played like him and probably never will. He used the guitar like a DJ-table and not a guitar. No one else even tried shit like this man. He can make his guitar make sounds that I don't think anyone else could even dream of. Let's be honest, everyone can play a nice pentatonic scale and make it sound all pretty, but that gets old so fast. I'm not saying Lindsay Buckingham is not a good guitarist, he is fantastic, but I mean compared to Tom Morello?

You'll clearly disagree, but I generally find his DJ-table style irritating and ugly. There's no beauty in it. It typically garners no emotional reaction in me. Like I said, there are exceptions. I enjoy the Like a Stone solo, for instance. However, a bulk of his Audioslave stuff absolutely blew.

As for Buckingham, I'd love to see Morello try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdXbiB354us

Or: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2UaK9SPkBc (the last 4 minutes especially)
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.