Audioslave

muppetmuppet Posts: 980
edited November 2007 in Other Music
I just wondered what everyones opinion of this band is, seeing as they seem to get as much hate as they do love. Now that they've split up and released all of their albums, what did you think of this band?

I certinally liked them. They made some incredibaly catchy rock songs. But they weren't as interesting as Soundgarden or Rage - maybe even a bit one dimensonal? They could have really experimented a bit more, especially Tom Morello. Such an amazing talent wasted on the same R2D2 solo time after time.

Hope this doesen't turn into a Chris Cornell worship/bashing thread, seeing as the Rage members were just as important as Cornell.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i think this was one of the greatest things to ever happen in modern rock. I agree that it was not as awesome as soundgarden or ratm, but it was pretty awsome in it's own right.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • First album was really good.

Second was alright, but some songs really sucked.

Third album was a joke and you can tell they weren't into it at all when they made it.
  • I think the are way better than Rage (I just don't like the voice and style or repetition)... but soundgarden wins out of the three... Chris Cornell is awesome.. I like how they changed in the third album (took me a long time to get into). I love that they added a more funky sound in like jewel of the summertime and stuff.. also Chris Cornell's best work is with temple of the dog... that one album tops anything soundgarden, RATM, or Audioslave has...
  • I think the are way better than Rage

Blasphemy.
  • I think you can make 1 kick ass cd out of the top songs from the 3 albums.
    I am Jack, The Pumpkin King!
    The eyes are the groin of the head.
  • Blasphemy.

Zach De La Rocha tries to summon so much awesome coolness out of his bland voice... and writes repetitive political songs. Just not my style is all...
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Thought their music was boring as hell, not a big fan of Chris Cornells voice either.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • GVN2FLI wrote:
    I think you can make 1 kick ass cd out of the top songs from the 3 albums.

They should make 1 double lenght album with the best of Chris cornell from soundgarden/solo/audioslave/temple of the dog that would freaking incredible
  • Thought their music was boring as hell, not a big fan of Chris Cornells voice either.

Shocking.
  • Thought their music was boring as hell, not a big fan of Chris Cornells voice either.
    agreed.
  • Absolutely fantastic band. Obviously not as revolutionary as RATM or Soundgarden were, but a brilliant band in their own right. One of my greatest regrets is not seeing them live. Self-titled is a total classic, Out Of Exile is a bit hit and miss and Revelations is nearly up there with the first album in my book.
  • i absolutely love audioslave. amazing musicians were combined together to form some great music. the self - titled was amazing, and out of exile and revelations were hit and miss.

now, as for soundgarden, i can not even describe my love for that band. they are my second favorite band ever only to pearl jam. their music is exceptional. they will be my second favorite band forever i can garuntee. they are monumental. down on the upside and superunknown just take me to another world. chris cornell is an absolute genious [even though yes his latest album is not up to par for him] and it shines in this band. it is no use explaining because words cannot describe what i feel for this band. when i hear the closing lines of a song like 'boot camp' or 'like suicide' it sends chills straight down my spine.

rage against the machine was also AMAZING. just recently, actually, probobly the last 3 weeks or so, they have been all i have been listening to! i don't know why. i guess i re-discovered them in a whole new light and found a lot of new interests in this band. as a guitar player, tom morello absolutely amazes me. i think zach's rebellious vocals and lyrics and his attitude on stage just make this band so special. their power and energy is unmatched by nearly any band.

but anyways, audioslave was also fantastic. anything with chris cornell or tom morello must be. cornell is one of my allll time idols and favorite all around musicians and voices and tom morellos is one of my favorite and most respected guitar players ever.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Kind of a one trick pony that got boring after the first album. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the first album a lot when it came out, but it and the band just didn't have staying power.

Although, some of the songs were fun when Chris performed them on his solo tour, but not nearly as fun as the other stuff.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    In a decade full of whiney good charlotte-type bands, they were a blessing. I remember first hearing Shadow On The Sun in the movie collateral and thats what got me into them. Gonna miss 'em.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Here's some blasphemy for you: Tom Morello drove this band into the ground. His obligatory solo 3/4 of the way through every Audioslave song was almost always unnecessary and rarely did anything to enhance the songs. The other two Rage guys stepped up their games, Morello never did. He's the most overrated hack of a guitarist in the modern era of rock.

There were some great songs from the first two albums, but neither album was great all the way through. The third album was a complete joke.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    Here's some blasphemy for you: Tom Morello drove this band into the ground. His obligatory solo 3/4 of the way through every Audioslave song was almost always unnecessary and rarely did anything to enhance the songs. The other two Rage guys stepped up their games, Morello never did. He's the most overrated hack of a guitarist in the modern era of rock.

There were some great songs from the first two albums, but neither album was great all the way through. The third album was a complete joke.

wow, could not have said it any better myself. Tom basically feels he has to jam some repetitive solo into every single song he does.

We get it Tom you came up with something original, now do something different with it.... Ass!
    4-30-03
    7-06-03
    7-11-03
    9-28-04
    9-29-04
    5-13-06
    6-03-06
    6-27-08
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    The first album is probably in my top 3 hard rock albums ever. It's such an amazing album, especially considering all the nu-metal that was around at the time. Out of Exile was pretty good too, but I'm not a big fan of Revelations save for a few songs like Moth, which is one of their best.

Love em. I have a dark green Audioslave t-shirt with twin tigers on it, and it's one of my favs and will be for a while.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • boroff89 wrote:
    The other two Rage guys stepped up their games, Morello never did. He's the most overrated hack of a guitarist in the modern era of rock.

Suck on this you haters!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ftuji1OkzdI&feature=related
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • dana_bdana_b Posts: 141
    One of my greatest regrets is seeing them live. quote]

Why? Did you get beat up or something?? ;)

Love(d) AS.
  • This thread really disapoints me. So far I have read that someone thinks that Audioslave is better than Rage, then I read that someone doesn't like Cornell's voice. I'm leaving now :-).
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786

That is quite possibly the least remarkable guitar playing I have ever seen. You can find better than that. And again, read my post. My problem is the solo within the context of the song. Seriously, listen to their last album. Does even one of those solos help the song in which it is featured? You can look at songs like Like a Stone or Dandelion and say the solos work, but those kinds of examples are few and far between.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    First album was awesome, one of the best rock records I've ever heard.

Second and third were inconsistent, some good songs, some filler. The RATM guys weren't versatile enough to keep it interesting without playing RATM-type riffs. I'm glad Cornell went solo because I can only take so many Tom Morello sonudeffect wanks on one record.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    boroff89 wrote:

Here, here.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I thought they were a good band. I loved the first album but Cornell and
    Morello didn't seem to fit together well. After the first album the two styles were more akward than innovative.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Saw them in Cardiff 2 years ago...they were kicking, really top class, high energy, catchy rock an roll band. Great gig.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • I think they were a pretty good band... there early stuff was good...
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    aside from Chris Cornell being a designer jeans wearing asshole, I LOVE Audioslave! One of my favorite bands of all time... Revelations was my favorite album of 2006. That says a lot, since "Pearl Jam" was my 2nd all time favorite Pearl Jam album after No Code!
  • I view this band as a missed oppurtunity. In the ST they created this really amazing blues feel to alot of the songs but then subsequently reverted to boring run of the mill type rock songs. For me Cornell and Cumerford were the only guys who showed any growth. Tom's innability to evolve killed this band for mine.
  • dana_b wrote:
    One of my greatest regrets is seeing them live. quote]

Why? Did you get beat up or something?? ;)

Love(d) AS.
    Haha whoops, better edit that. It should say that one of my greatest regrets is NOT seeing them live. :(
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    pjtaper wrote:
    aside from Chris Cornell being a designer jeans wearing asshole, I LOVE Audioslave! One of my favorite bands of all time... Revelations was my favorite album of 2006. That says a lot, since "Pearl Jam" was my 2nd all time favorite Pearl Jam album after No Code!

I think Cornell gets too much shit, I mean he sorted himself out, and he looks good, we'd all pose around in designer jeans if we could.... Yes we would, don't think we wouldn't.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....