Neil Young is very boring and has an annoying voice

muppetmuppet Posts: 980
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Please reccomend me songs that suggest otherwise, becuase I know that I'm missing out.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SwanSwan Posts: 350
    you're not missing out on anything.
    I'm the only Hell Mama ever raised.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    If you don't like his voice and think he is boring then you probably won't like any of his stuff. His music sounds much the same now as it always has. Unless you heard Trans or one of his 80s synth albums, you've probably already heard something like his normal style.

If you don't like After the Gold Rush, Harvest, Rust Never Sleeps, On The Beach, Zuma or Tonight is the Night then you have no chance.

But yes, you will be missing out. As for individual songs, Helpless, Cortez the Killer, Heart of Gold, Hey Hey, My My, Rockin' in the free world, After the gold rush are all amazing.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    i would suggest you try Cortez the Killer, Down by the River or Scenery.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Neil Young had always left me indifferent - until five or six months ago, when I decided I'd listen to 'Only Love Can Break Your Heart' in the dark at 2 in the morning, whilst staring at an old photograph of my ex wife. I cried my eyes out for hours... and that's when I suddenly 'got' Neil Young's music. I've loved his music ever since.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • distantsundistantsun Posts: 265
    the original poster and all who agree deserve to never hear another note of music as long as you live.
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • distantsun wrote:
    the original poster and all who agree deserve to never hear another note of music as long as you live.

Wow... playing God much?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    Neil Young had always left me indifferent - until five or six months ago, when I decided I'd listen to 'Only Love Can Break Your Heart' in the dark at 2 in the morning, whilst staring at an old photograph of my ex wife. I cried my eyes out for hours... and that's when I suddenly 'got' Neil Young's music. I've loved his music ever since.

woah!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • distantsundistantsun Posts: 265
    i was obviously using gross exaggeration to get my point across.
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Neil Young had always left me indifferent - until five or six months ago, when I decided I'd listen to 'Only Love Can Break Your Heart' in the dark at 2 in the morning, whilst staring at an old photograph of my ex wife. I cried my eyes out for hours... and that's when I suddenly 'got' Neil Young's music. I've loved his music ever since.
    whoa, that's some heavy shit man....

to the first poster go listen to: On The Beach (the song), Shots, Rockin' In The Free World (acoustic), Sleeps With Angels (the song), Don't Let It Bring You Down, Cowgirl In The Sand, Cortez The Killer, Winterlong, For The Turnstiles and Mideast Vacation.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    After listening just now because of this thread, I have to reassert my opinion that Cortez the Killer is one of the best songs EVER. The version on Weld is just incredible.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    If you don't like his voice and think he is boring then you probably won't like any of his stuff. His music sounds much the same now as it always has. Unless you heard Trans or one of his 80s synth albums, you've probably already heard something like his normal style.

If you don't like After the Gold Rush, Harvest, Rust Never Sleeps, On The Beach, Zuma or Tonight is the Night then you have no chance.

But yes, you will be missing out. As for individual songs, Helpless, Cortez the Killer, Heart of Gold, Hey Hey, My My, Rockin' in the free world, After the gold rush are all amazing.

True, but I always dismissed Pearl Jam based on a couple of songs that I'd heard on the radio, until I delved deeper.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    After listening just now because of this thread, I have to reassert my opinion that Cortez the Killer is one of the best songs EVER. The version on Weld is just incredible.

Absolutely. I'll maintain that Weld disc 2 is the single greatest live cd ever made.

1. Cortez The Killer
    2. Powderfinger
    3. Love And Only Love
    4. Rockin' In The Free World
    5. Like A Hurricane
    6. Farmer John
    7. Tonight's The Night
    8. Roll Another Number

Okay, I could do without Farmer John, but the others are perhaps the definitive live versions of some of his best songs. Pure musical bliss.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213

see? was that so hard?

p.s. ...i know.
  • POWDERFINGER!
    :D:D:D

And the Massy Hall version of
    Cowgirl In The Sand
    is fucking sick!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • zacman13245zacman13245 Posts: 294
    I think Neil Young's a pretty underrated guitarist, and his lyrics are spectacular at getting the point across and really making a statement, but like Bob Dylan, some like the voice, others not at all.
    I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning

6/30/2008 - Mansfield, MA.
    5/17/2010 - Boston, MA
    9/3/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
    9/4/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
  • muppet wrote:
    Please reccomend me songs that suggest otherwise, becuase I know that I'm missing out.
    I love pretty much all of Neils material.But if you feel that way you'll probably continue feeling that way.Unless you start to feel his vibe.If you catch the wave then you'll never fall back.I recommend the song I'm The Ocean from Mirrorball.Thats the record P'J played on.Thats also one of his deepest songs.Just check out the lyrics if nothing else............People my age they don't do the things I do.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    neil young is the man.. the end.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Haven't listened to him for a little while now, but he's one of my all time favorites.

And by the way, I didn't think he was any good at first either. Then all of a sudden it just began to click.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    if this is boring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQXnvNwGTAY

let me be bored all the time
  • muppet wrote:

Yes, you are missing out. Here are my favorite Young songs:

"Cinnamon Girl"

"Cowgirl In The Sand"

"The Loner"

"Southern Man"

"Down By The River"

"My My, Hey Hey" (which Eddie sang a few lines from on SNL after Kurt Cobain died)

"Mr. Soul"

"Heart Of Gold"
  • corduroy10corduroy10 Posts: 199
    To the original poster, all the songs mentioned are excellent tracks.

To really get "blown away" with Neil's signature guitar playing, try listening to Like a Hurricane. Eight minutes of beautifully ragged bliss.
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    I always found the studio version of Cortez the Killer to be much better.

I love Zuma. That album just makes so much sense to me. I love the art work. I love the songs. I love that album. Barstool Blues is just an amazing song.

But I do find that either you love Neil or you don't. It doesn't seem to be anything in between.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    corduroy10 wrote:
    To the original poster, all the songs mentioned are excellent tracks.

To really get "blown away" with Neil's signature guitar playing, try listening to Like a Hurricane. Eight minutes of beautifully ragged bliss.

Couldn't agree with this any more. The studio version, any live version, you can just feel raw emotion.

Especially this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obfci1CIqq8 Probably my favorite performance of a song ever.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • gabers wrote:
    Absolutely. I'll maintain that Weld disc 2 is the single greatest live cd ever made.

1. Cortez The Killer
    2. Powderfinger
    3. Love And Only Love
    4. Rockin' In The Free World
    5. Like A Hurricane
    6. Farmer John
    7. Tonight's The Night
    8. Roll Another Number

Okay, I could do without Farmer John, but the others are perhaps the definitive live versions of some of his best songs. Pure musical bliss.
    Love Weld, but to me it seems RITFW is way too slow. I seems to always skip it. but fuckin Like A Hurricane is amazing
  • muppet wrote:

MIRRORBALL
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    MIRRORBALL

good call!! :)

best of both worlds!!! :D:D
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    His voice is quite awful but he has some excellent songs. Ohio, Cinnamon Girl, and Southern Man are my favorite and are by no means boring. Just make sure you at least check out Ohio if you have not heard it already.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    some of my Neil Young Favorites:

Listen to Mirrorball, cause Pearl jam is the backing band, fucking sick record. That should really get the Neil craze going I think.
    Here are some of my other faves.

Heart of gold
    sleeps with Angels (written about Kurt Cobain I think)
    Cinnamon Girl
    RITFW
    Lets roll
    Down to the wire
    Sugar Mountain
    Long may you run
    Harvest Moon
    There's a world
    Old man
    Needle and the damage done
    Fucking up
    Cortez the Killer
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • zacman13245zacman13245 Posts: 294
    I just picked up a Neil Young & Crazy Horse tape, yes, thats right tape at a music store for like $3 the other day, definitely worth it, since my car has a radio and a tape deck, and I'd listen to Neil over the radio any day
    I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning

6/30/2008 - Mansfield, MA.
    5/17/2010 - Boston, MA
    9/3/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
    9/4/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)