Audioslave

muppetmuppet Posts: 980
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Not sure why this band gets a lot of stick around here. I think that their first album is one of the best rock records I've ever heard. The perfect album to listen to on a dark night.

Not too keen on Out Of Exile, thought that Revelations was an improvement. But their debut remains the best to me, and I even think that Cornells raspy, bluesy voice sounds better (in some cases) than his "RIIIIIIITUALLL!" 90s voice :p.

They'll never beat Rage or Soundgarden, but I think this band deserves a lot more credit. They didn't break any boundaries but what they did, they did well.

Hopefully this can turn into a pretty good discussion about what people thought, instead of comments on Chris Cornells choice of jeans.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• So let me get this straight... this band deserves a lot more credit for 1 good album.. even if it's not as good as Rage or Soundgarden? Not sure what you'e saying there... but OK! :p
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    that band rocked.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    So let me get this straight... this band deserves a lot more credit for 1 good album.. even if it's not as good as Rage or Soundgarden? Not sure what you'e saying there... but OK! :p

Well, I enjoy their third album a lot as well, it's just that I think their first is a classic. And no they're not as good as Rage or Soundgarden but not a lot of bands are. My point was that people seem to completely savage this band, sticking them with the likes of Creed.

I know it's different strokes for different folks and all that but still.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I agree about the first album... one of my favorites ever. Just pure rock and roll adrenaline on that one all the way through. Out of Exile is pretty good too, but Revelations is average at best.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Personally, I think Cochise is one of the best rock singles of the 00's, but my favourite Audioslave record is Out Of Exile. If Be Yourself hadnt been the lead single for that album, i think it would've been received a lot better than it was. The first self titled record would be my least favourite, it just sounds like a load of RATM demos with Cornell's vocals thrown on top. The second two records sound more like a real band at work.

As supergroups go they were decent, compared to Velvet Revolver they were killer! :P
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Audioslave were great. It's such a shame that Be Yourself ruined their (and Cornell's) rep so much. Revelations may well have been my favourite of the three; I can't understand why it gets so much flak.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Revelations may well have been my favourite of the three; I can't understand why it gets so much flak.

It didn't have Exploder. :D
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • abhi101cruabhi101cru Posts: 223
    I dunno, I thought the first two albums were fucking spectacular...I would have a hard time picking the best album between Self-Titled and Out of Exile...
    Sorry is the fool who trades his soul for a corvette, thinks he'll get the girl he'll only get the mechanic...

Atlantic City: 09/30/05, 10/01/05
  • edved82 wrote:
    Personally, I think Cochise is one of the best rock singles of the 00's, but my favourite Audioslave record is Out Of Exile. If Be Yourself hadnt been the lead single for that album, i think it would've been received a lot better than it was. The first self titled record would be my least favourite, it just sounds like a load of RATM demos with Cornell's vocals thrown on top. The second two records sound more like a real band at work.

Totally agree with that! I can never understand why so many people like the debut best of the three - to me it's the weakest, apart from standout tracks like the Last Remaining Light and Shadow on the Sun. I never thought much of RATM as a band and a lot of the time it does sound like RATM with a decent singer, not much more. I also loved OOE - it seemed to have depth and showed a lot of musical development - and a lot of Revelations, too (although the RATM guys ruined some of the songs, like Until We Fall - they could be really lumpen players sometimes.)
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Their first album was the best, their second was the worst. Revelations was a great improvement. Audioslave IMO is much better than RATM. Rage is just Blah to me. theyre nothing special. But if you compare audioslave to soundgarden, then well, that is a different story.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • I really loved Audioslave up until Revelations came out. I was really, really let down by that record - I thought they had pretty much left behind the adrenaline rush music that I really loved, and put together a collection of songs that went nowhere. And that kinda distorted my view of the band as a whole, and I was looking back on them as a band that I liked, but ended up kinda sorta sucking.

But as time went on, I kinda got to like the album, thanks to songs like The Shape of Things To Come and Wide Awake. I can still barely stand to listen to Somedays and Jewel of the Summertime, but the rest of the songs grew on me. So I can look back and see a band who had a classic album - self-titled - and two decent rock records that shamed a lot of what was around at the time.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    there were few better current albums at the time their debut dropped, agreed. got old pretty quick, thought their song structure after that album was pretty formulaic.

however that one album does rock. gasoline is great.

i will never forget seeing cornell marching around the mic stand at lolla 03 SCREAMING "shadow on the sun" at the top of his lungs.

also, i have never seen another crowd so hyped up as audioslave in 05, when the first little guitar part of rusty cage came on. MY GOD. the whole place went ape shit. complete strangers high fiving. that was amazing. those 4 minutes were pure mayhem.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    I think they were great. Audioslave (album) was a masterpiece, Out of Exile was pretty good, and Revelation was very good. I saw them on the small venue tour before Out of Exile came out and I can honestly say that was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Cornell's voice was surprisingly good.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Audioslave kicks ass, their first album was a masterpiece. Cornell sounded amazing, great melody wicked screams. Out of Exile although not as rocking as there debut, was a very strong record. Revelations was a good album a mix of both their debut and Out of Exile. They kicked ass Audioslave.
  • muppet wrote:
    Not sure why this band gets a lot of stick around here.

Probably because they actually rocked and were completely unpretentious about it.

I think the first album is a masterpiece. Vocally I also think it is one of Cornell's best efforts.

If there was weakness, I actually think it was the Rage guys i.e Tom and Brad (Tim was awesome). Now Rage gets a lot of praise around here but in Audiolsave these guys just could not adapt to new directions and really held the band back. It really confirmed to me that Tom is a one trick pony.

It is then interesting to reflect on how the reputation of the Rage boys has not been as severely dented as Cornell's following the Audioslave breakup, especially given that they shared equal effort in the song writting. Yet IMO Cornell was the guy keeping this band going.
  • dana_bdana_b Posts: 141
    Brain Of E wrote:
    I think they were great. Audioslave (album) was a masterpiece, Out of Exile was pretty good, and Revelation was very good.

Pretty much how I rate them too.

I will strongly disagree with some opinions that the RATM guys were weak or that Morello was one trick pony. The solo in "Shadow On the Sun" should be enogh to dispel that. Also listen to their musicianship. Cornell definitely helped them develop, there is no doubt. The songs were a lot more melodic than any RATM songs. However there is not one song on Cornell's latest endeavour that compares to most of the stuff that AS put out, imo. The guys from RATM had to have SOMETHING to do with that.
  • dana_b wrote:

I will strongly disagree with some opinions that the RATM guys were weak or that Morello was one trick pony. The solo in "Shadow On the Sun" should be enogh to dispel that. Also listen to their musicianship. Cornell definitely helped them develop, there is no doubt. The songs were a lot more melodic than any RATM songs. However there is not one song on Cornell's latest endeavour that compares to most of the stuff that AS put out, imo. The guys from RATM had to have SOMETHING to do with that.

I don't think that it is coincidence that Cornell's latest solo album as average as it is in parts, exhibits a lot more complexity musically than anything Audioslave produced. With rage, the simplicity works but when shifted towards a more melodic sound there was a lot of 'dead space' in the music where nothing was happening.

Morello just seemed to me, unable (or perhaps unwilling) to move beyond the big riff rockers, when I felt that there was an oppurtunity to expand on alot of the really great blues influenced stuff the band produced on the later half of the debut.
  • dana_b wrote:

In the end it's all subjective, isn;t it, Dana...we're all looking for different things in music so different albums and songs will appeal to different people. ;) Personally I think a song like "Disappearing Act" (my favourite from "Carry On") is head and shoulders above anything on Revelations and a lot of why it comes through so strongly is the gorgeous, sensitive, sensuous drumming from NirZ. It showcases the vocal and gives Chris a launching pad. Brad was never capable of that kind of subtlety and it showed.

Tim had his instinctual moments, and he grew as a musician over the life of Audioslave, but I still think there was some lumpy playing on Revelations in places. Mostly on the traditional "songs" as opposed to the riff-based stuff. I don't think the rhythm section ever really "learned to come soft" as Rick Rubin wanted them to.

I don't agree with whoever said Tom was a one-trick pony, and I do think it's sad in some ways that the musical relationship between him and Chris had to come to an end. He was playing things in Audioslave that he'd never come near in RATM, and they were things (like the beautiful, liquid solo on Yesterday to Tomorrow) which he can't really put into his acoustic Nightwatchman stuff. I don't think they'd fit into RATM, either, unless they totally overhaul the concept. It will be a shame if we never get to hear Tom play like that again.
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • I don't agree with whoever said Tom was a one-trick pony, and I do think it's sad in some ways that the musical relationship between him and Chris had to come to an end. He was playing things in Audioslave that he'd never come near in RATM, and they were things (like the beautiful, liquid solo on Yesterday to Tomorrow) which he can't really put into his acoustic Nightwatchman stuff. I don't think they'd fit into RATM, either, unless they totally overhaul the concept. It will be a shame if we never get to hear Tom play like that again.

Still more often than not Morello just failed to 'get' what the song was about and fit a solo appropriately. Now you can argue that its subjective, but I think that most people can agree whether a song is upbeat or whatever. Morello is a great guitarist, but too often in AS it seemed that his solo's were less about the song than a need to be the centre of attention. Was there an AS song without a guitar solo? Says something I think.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I really liked the first record, if I could criticise it I would say it was a little 'samey' at times. I thought Out of Exile was better, a much more rounded and varied sound, yet still keeping those key ingredients. I love Morellos guitar work, some don't I know, but personally I find it really fascinating. I saw them live on that tour, and that surely was their real strength, they were incredible. I've seen dozens of bands in Cardiff arena and Audioslave were the only ones who came anywhere near to creating the kind of excitement that bordered on hysteria, in the crowd, as Pearl Jam did when they visited way back in 00. As for Revalations, well I never really got into it, the band was breaking up almost as soon as it came out and that's never good encouragement to go out and spend £12.....now, maybe I'll grab a cheapie off ebay.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I don't know what happened to Brad Wilk. I loved his drumming in Rage, but in Audioslave it was just the same beat over and over again.
  • Still more often than not Morello just failed to 'get' what the song was about and fit a solo appropriately. Now you can argue that its subjective, but I think that most people can agree whether a song is upbeat or whatever. Morello is a great guitarist, but too often in AS it seemed that his solo's were less about the song than a need to be the centre of attention. Was there an AS song without a guitar solo? Says something I think.

Yes, I do agree with you to some extent. Some of the solos were very "look at me" and not terribly related to the mood of the song. But I think he was improving and learning and becoming a more subtle and sensitive musician: it was the rhythm section, especially Wilk, who really let the side down.
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • So let me get this straight... this band deserves a lot more credit for 1 good album.. even if it's not as good as Rage or Soundgarden? Not sure what you'e saying there... but OK! :p
    Its very good mainstream rock its super creative for that genre. Its light years ahead of just about any new mainstream rock band out there. But some peopel have grown away from that sound. they do not like mainstream music. I think all 3 albums are great, but I can see why some dont like it, what I dont get is the people that bash it around here are the same ones ripping pj for not being more radio friendly.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • muppet wrote:
    I don't know what happened to Brad Wilk. I loved his drumming in Rage, but in Audioslave it was just the same beat over and over again.
    He improved on the second album greatly.

no more shows
  • I don't think that it is coincidence that Cornell's latest solo album as average as it is in parts, exhibits a lot more complexity musically than anything Audioslave produced. With rage, the simplicity works but when shifted towards a more melodic sound there was a lot of 'dead space' in the music where nothing was happening.

Morello just seemed to me, unable (or perhaps unwilling) to move beyond the big riff rockers, when I felt that there was an oppurtunity to expand on alot of the really great blues influenced stuff the band produced on the later half of the debut.

I dont think as a band they wanted to go in this direction, I agree with you, but I always got the opinion the band wanted to be a great mainstream band and tour their ass of and get back to the level of their beggining bands. chris obviously wanted more, I thought Chris could have waited aftert a small tour to break the band up.

no more shows
  • Its very good mainstream rock its super creative for that genre. Its light years ahead of just about any new mainstream rock band out there. But some peopel have grown away from that sound. they do not like mainstream music. I think all 3 albums are great, but I can see why some dont like it, what I dont get is the people that bash it around here are the same ones ripping pj for not being more radio friendly.

I personally wish PJ were *less* radio friendly.. Avocado was way too mainstream for me.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• muppet wrote:

I don't think he was that spectacular in Rage. Rage was the sum of its parts.. the drumming in itself was far from complex.

• I always got the opinion the band wanted to be a great mainstream band and tour their ass of and get back to the level of their beggining bands. chris obviously wanted more, I thought Chris could have waited aftert a small tour to break the band up.

I don't think the band wanted to "tour their asses off". Apart from the Cuba trip and one early Australian visit (I think they squeezed in a single show in Japan), Audioslave only ever played North America and the obvious places in Europe. CC's solo tour has been much more extensive and visited far more places, from South America and South Africa to Iceland and Northern Scandinavia, places like Tromso. CC has said the reason he didn't go to a lot of these places before was because he could never persuade the members of either Soundgarden or Audioslave to do it.
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • I personally wish PJ were *less* radio friendly.. Avocado was way too mainstream for me.
    I see what you are saying, but on this pit people go nuts over that topic.

no more shows
  • I don't think the band wanted to "tour their asses off". Apart from the Cuba trip and one early Australian visit (I think they squeezed in a single show in Japan), Audioslave only ever played North America and the obvious places in Europe. CC's solo tour has been much more extensive and visited far more places, from South America and South Africa to Iceland and Northern Scandinavia, places like Tromso. CC has said the reason he didn't go to a lot of these places before was because he could never persuade the members of either Soundgarden or Audioslave to do it.

I though the whole image of the band exploded on the second album, they came through the philly area 3 times, comparred to sg it was alot. I got the impression the band was looking to become very popular in the mainstream circuit, they pumped up their fan club enormously. As far as europe I dont know.

no more shows