Anyone else hate "Born In The USA"?

2»

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    JaneNY wrote:
    ^^^What he said.

Bruce got attention because when he broke out he was putting out real, genuine music in the midst of a lot of shit on the radio. I saw this man put on 4 HOUR concerts in 1978 on. He was REAL, and articulated many peoples' feelings. Candy's Room? Corny? come on. Spirit in the Night? Rosalita? I wouldn't say Born in the USA is Bruce's best work (but it was good and I liked it - I still would love to hear Ed cover 'I'm on Fire' someday) Bruce's contribution to American rock cannot be denied.

I *think* I still have a vinyl bootleg from about 79 or 80 and this discussion makes me want to see if I could convert it to digital and put it up somewhere - Bruce live is simply a force to be reckoned with.

that would be cool.....:D
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    "Well, now young faces grow sad and old
    And hearts of fire grow cold
    We swore blood brothers against the wind
    Now I'm ready to grow young again..."

Like I said, I'm 19 years old and lyrics like this give me a lump in my throat. The way Bruce can capture feelings and transfer them a listener is incredible.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Originally, I loved this album.........however after what felt like the 15th single from it was released and MTV passing one million showings of "Glory Days" mark, I found that I just could not endure listening to it anymore. He was everywhere you looked from 1984-1985. It was simply too much. The last Bruce album that I purchased was "Tunnel of Love." Even it did not stand the test of time as well as "Born to Run" or "The River."
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I was a casual Bruce fan (meaning I liked his 'hits') but then I saw the HBO Live in NYC special and I was like "wow, this is really good, I get it now." So I bought that album, and I started listening to The River, Born in the USA, etc. Got to see him and E Street Band on The Rising tour as well.

I can understand why some people don't like Born in the USA, the song probably got played to death back in '84. A lot of the songs on that album have a Top 40 flavor to them, they're catchy and easy to sing along to. I like the album, but I'll take Born to Run over it any day.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    zircona1 wrote:
    I can understand why some people don't like Born in the USA, the song probably got played to death back in '84. A lot of the songs on that album have a Top 40 flavor to them, they're catchy and easy to sing along to. I like the album, but I'll take Born to Run over it any day.
    I was there...........and yes, all of the singles were played to death on both the radio and MTV. I would also take "Born to Run" over it any day.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,591
    Bruce, you either love him , or you just dont get it.

The song Born in the USA, total rebellion song, about a Vietnam vet who comes home to all the problems and no one willing to help, including the government.

But fucking Reagan used it as an anthem. Idiot. Try reading the lyrics.

It dosent sound like Cock Rock. Songs about Vietnam Vets (Born in the USA, Im On Fire,) economic depression (My Hometown, Working on the Highway), dont exactly make me think of cock rock, but Glory Days is so overplayed I can hardly stand it anymore.

Dancing in the Dark is a good song, but sounds so 80's Its way better live and updated.

Best songs are Bobby Jean, No Surrender, My Hometown, and Im Going Down.

Born in the USA is also a great song live, RARELY PLAYED, but better as a quiet acoustinc song rather than the stadium anthem.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,591
    Oh, and its hardly his best work, but a financial success.

The River is better, or Darkenss on the Edge of Town.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    muppet wrote:
    Well, not hate. I don't think I could ever hate something that Bruce Springsteen has released.

But I think it almost verges on corny cock rock. I love the title track and Dancing In The Dark but that's about it. I know Springsteens always being a bit over the top but here everything is just overproduced.

Seriously, if I hear Springsteen shouting "WAHN...TWOOOO...THREEE.....FAWR!" again...:p

EDIT: Talking about the album, not the actual song.

Glory Days is a fucking brilliant song. It's not ground breaking music wise or lyric wise but one day when you are sitting around your kitchen table with a beer in your hand chatting with you friends about that time when ... the song fucking kills you.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    ....The song Born in the USA, total rebellion song, about a Vietnam vet who comes home to all the problems and no one willing to help, including the government.....

See? And this is exactly why Cold Chisel would have more relevance for me as an Aussie and why I'm not as taken with Born In The USA.
    Not that Bruce isn't great and all, but for me Cold Chisel did it better. But I don't expect that Americans would see it that way. I think it's a cultural thing. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH07B90NFjE
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    I fucking love Born in the USA... Downbound Train into I'm On Fire... I love that... I guess I can see when you say corny because I'm On Fire is a bit corny, but still even the way he words the song is fucking awesome, as with all of his other songs.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Jeanie wrote:
    Yes I hate it and I'm still struggling to understand all the fanfare and hype about the guy and his music.

Agrees and Mets not all us brits like The Cure dude.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    I just don't get the attraction to him, he just kinda annoys me.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • I'm not keen on Bruce at all. Streets of Philadelphia was alright, I suppose, but the rest is ... dare I say it, too obvious. I used to watch Born In The USA on TV and think, "Why is he straining himself so much? He'd convey passion so much more effectively, with a bit of understatement." Stadium rock, eh?
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Yeah, Nebraska, The Ghost of Tom Joad and Devils and Dust are so corny.....

This made my heart drop into my stomach.....then I realized I forgot what sarcasm was.... WHEW!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive