Anyone else hate "Born In The USA"?

muppetmuppet Posts: 980
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Well, not hate. I don't think I could ever hate something that Bruce Springsteen has released.

But I think it almost verges on corny cock rock. I love the title track and Dancing In The Dark but that's about it. I know Springsteens always being a bit over the top but here everything is just overproduced.

Seriously, if I hear Springsteen shouting "WAHN...TWOOOO...THREEE.....FAWR!" again...:p

EDIT: Talking about the album, not the actual song.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JuberooJuberoo Posts: 472
    Ive always thought Bruce was corny all the way around. I don't like his music or style.
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense.

A truly liberal person is conservative when necessary.

Pro-life by choice.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Juberoo wrote:
    Ive always thought Bruce was corny all the way around. I don't like his music or style.

Um have you heard Nebraska? Corny isn't the word that would come to mind....
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Yes I hate it and I'm still struggling to understand all the fanfare and hype about the guy and his music.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    I prefer Streets of Philadelphia.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Juberoo wrote:

Yeah, I guess you could say he's always being a bit corny, especially with his live performances with the E-Street Band (solo is a different matter). But BITUSA takes it too far I think.
  • fragileblakefragileblake Posts: 716
    Yeah, Nebraska, The Ghost of Tom Joad and Devils and Dust are so corny.....
    Um have you heard Nebraska? Corny isn't the word that would come to mind....
    OK...how about twisted and morbid?

Pro-life by choice.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Yeah, the problem with a lot of that album is that it sounds very dated. The title track and No Surrender are amazing songs though.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Jeanie wrote:
    Yes I hate it and I'm still struggling to understand all the fanfare and hype about the guy and his music.
    hes to us americans as the cure are to the brits.thre is no hype to bruce, hes one of the greatest songwriters off our time.hes american as apple pie is to us.people love bruce cause he doesnt bull shit around, hes artist that does what he wants and doesnt care if he sells millions. he speaks for the working middle class off american.i cant explain it any other way.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

I'm american and I don't like him....he certainly doesn't speak for me.

Pro-life by choice.
    Juberoo wrote:
    I'm american and I don't like him....he certainly doesn't speak for me.

That's because you're an ass. :D

I'm fuckin 19 years old and I understand a lot of the feelings this man sings about.
    hes to us americans as the cure are to the brits.thre is no hype to bruce, hes one of the greatest songwriters off our time.hes american as apple pie is to us.people love bruce cause he doesnt bull shit around, hes artist that does what he wants and doesnt care if he sells millions. he speaks for the working middle class off american.i cant explain it any other way.

It's ok mets. I understand why he appeals, just don't get all the hype and hoopla in terms of trying to sell him to the rest of the world.
    Be a bit like Americans trying to understand the relevance of Cold Chisel/Jimmy Barnes I'm thinking. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    DOSW wrote:

I'm fuckin 19 years old and I understand a lot of the feelings this man sings about.
    nice very nice post

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Jeanie wrote:

you know i used to think that....then i saw him live.....wow.....kinda like seeing pj.....also i saw him 20 odd years ago so i can't speak of current bruce.......however the rising is one of the best albums from the last 10 years....as for busa.....i don't like the song...it annoys me musically....the rest of the album is great...i love glory days....:)
    cutback wrote:
    you know i used to think that....then i saw him live.....wow.....kinda like seeing pj.....also i saw him 20 odd years ago so i can't speak of current bruce.......however the rising is one of the best albums from the last 10 years....as for busa.....i don't like the song...it annoys me musically....the rest of the album is great...i love glory days....:)
    current bruce is like old bruce, just more songs and better :).

• Yeah, Nebraska, The Ghost of Tom Joad and Devils and Dust are so corny.....

other than those albums it's pretty corn-pone and dated...

and how did he get the accent if he is from New Jersey???

whatever...I can't stand that Born in the USA song...it makes me cringe.

Devils and Dust was pretty good...but I still laugh at the accent.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    Jeanie wrote:

I agree...

...pie
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
    whatever...I can't stand that Born in the USA song...it makes me cringe.

Why? I hope you're not one of those people who think it's a patriotic song...
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i respect him, but his music doesn't really do it for me.
    cutback wrote:

I did see him with "The Highwaymen" was it??? or some other supergroup. :confused: Years ago on video, and he impressed me then and I'm not saying that I think he has no talent.
    I realize that he's very gifted musically. However he just doesn't do it for me and I do get tired of all the hoopla that goes with him. I mean here it's like he's The Messiah or something and that I just don't get. Not that he's bad, just don't think he's as amazing as all the hype would suggest.
    I liked The River, probably got something to do with the harmonica. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    The uptempo singles from that album may have aged poorly, but the low-key numbers like "Downbound Train" and "I'm On Fire" are still awesome.

But forgive me, "My Hometown" is just a bit too much.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
    DOSW wrote:

and only an immature teenager would call someone an ass for not liking a particular band. Grow up a little.

Pro-life by choice.
    Jeanie wrote:
    I did see him with "The Highwaymen" was it??? or some other supergroup. :confused: Years ago on video, and he impressed me then and I'm not saying that I think he has no talent.
    I realize that he's very gifted musically. However he just doesn't do it for me and I do get tired of all the hoopla that goes with him. I mean here it's like he's The Messiah or something and that I just don't get. Not that he's bad, just don't think he's as amazing as all the hype would suggest.
    I liked The River, probably got something to do with the harmonica. :)

I know the feeling. Of course I disagree with you completely about Bruce, but I think everyone can /White Stripes/ relate to having that one band /White Stripes/ that you don't get and everyone else /White Stripes/ seems to love. It can be very /White Stripes/ frustrating.
  • fragileblakefragileblake Posts: 716
    DOSW wrote:
    I know the feeling. Of course I disagree with you completely about Bruce, but I think everyone can /White Stripes/ relate to having that one band /White Stripes/ that you don't get and everyone else /White Stripes/ seems to love. It can be very /White Stripes/ frustrating.

Man, I totally hate them too.
    Juberoo wrote:
    and only an immature teenager would call someone an ass for not liking a particular band. Grow up a little.
    no your the ass, we got you the first time. no need to try and be funny, which btw you are very bad at. i have no problem with people saying they dont like him but give reasons why, just dont say oh cause hes music is corny.like jeanie gave vaild reasons and i can see where shes coming from. jeanie go by devils and dust and the segger sessions, those two are folk-ish you might like them

Juberoo wrote:

Relax buddy. This emoticon (:D) means it's a joke. A guess only immature teenagers realize that. :rolleyes:
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I can understand both sides of this particular argument

I used to " not get it" when it came to the Boss

Then, I kind of connected with his voice on The Rising album and really appreciated the way he wrote his lyrics

I've since gone back and I think my favorite album is Nebraska, because I like his mellow introspective stuff more than his poppy up-beat stuff

Overall, I've become a fan
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
    DOSW wrote:

:D Well I don't get them either!

But it's music, so it's individual taste really so it's all good. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438

^^^What he said.

Bruce got attention because when he broke out he was putting out real, genuine music in the midst of a lot of shit on the radio. I saw this man put on 4 HOUR concerts in 1978 on. He was REAL, and articulated many peoples' feelings. Candy's Room? Corny? come on. Spirit in the Night? Rosalita? I wouldn't say Born in the USA is Bruce's best work (but it was good and I liked it - I still would love to hear Ed cover 'I'm on Fire' someday) Bruce's contribution to American rock cannot be denied.

I *think* I still have a vinyl bootleg from about 79 or 80 and this discussion makes me want to see if I could convert it to digital and put it up somewhere - Bruce live is simply a force to be reckoned with.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Great song and album......some of his finest work
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson