Your music career as a listener, confession

2»

Comments

• InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    When I was a kid I wasn't allowed to listen to music unless it was Christian music. Petra was my favorite but I also liked Stryper. Outside of these bands, and probably because of these bands and the propaganda my parents encouraged about devil music, I didn't listen to much music at all.

My sister moved in with her friend and I would often go over to visit. It was there that I found myself looking through the rommates record collection and discovered A Farewell to Kings by Rush. Everything was different from that moment on.

Several years went by where I had to hide the non-Christian music I was now listening to from my parents. Sometimes My dad would find a record and throw it away but I was mostly successful. My favorites during these years were Motley Crue and Ozzy and Queensryche and Dokken...the eighties hair metal guys pretty much. It was good and I liked the music but it wasn't quite right, though I did discover Faith No More and Type O Negative at this time and they remain favorites.

I had a job as a night stocker at a Target for a few months after highschool. There I met a cool guy who knew about music I didn't. He introduced me to three bands...Ministry, Nirvana and Butthole Surfers. Again everything changed and these three bands remain favorites to this day.

This led to the Melvins, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog and Pearl Jam, among many other bands. I remember a feeling that finally I had found the music I had been looking for.

That brings us to today. I just finished listening to Avocado.