Your music career as a listener, confession

luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Hello, folks...
I start this thread because I'm curious and want to know what you were listening before pearl jam.
I was listening to mainstream music as child and with 12,13 began to listen to techno (sorry, it's my confession thread ) my first rebellion. I was in a boarding school in Belgium and everyone was listening to this shit. We organized raves and parties. I remember a night when someone came up with Green day's Dookie and almost everyone said to turn off but I liked it, seems that dookie saved my live :) then began to listen to Oasis, Blur and such a stuff. And one good day I found Yield I bought it and was fascinated from the first to the last one, what a great album. And then Ten, vs., live on two legs,...
Amen
Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Well I had been listening to pearl jam for as long as I can remember (mother was a fan) but not really listening...just hearing it. Before I really got into what music that i find powerful and suits me...i went through a pretty fucked up phase.

I bought the Wheatus cd (had the one hit...teenage birtbag)

Uh....OH! I was a big Cold fan.

uuuuhhhhhh...alien ant farm

Fuel (first cd only. liked the song shimmer)

I bought a Trust Co. cd. Hated it.

I bought Take Off Your Pants And Jacket by blink 182. Hated it.

I have an injected cd...hated it

Bought a Lost Prophets cd

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure something else will pop into my head.
  • I bought the Wheatus cd (had the one hit...teenage birtbag)

That's funny, my friend's band opened for Wheatus earlier this summer at a pizza joint :D

My uncle lived with us when I was growing up. So he was A senior in high school in 78-79 and I always would listen to his records.

Mainly KISS, Pink Floyd, & AC/DC. That set the stage for me. I then would always start saving my allowances for records, since we had a cool record shop down the street. I was also an early MTV freak, they actually played music from bands I had no idea existed. I then moved to the Def Leppard, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest phase.

In 5th grade I discovered Run DMC and the Beasties which I thought was great. Using old rock samples so I could listen to Rock beats and creative rhymes at the same time.

I then was strictly hip hop from 5th - 9th grade.

Then older kids at school were like listen to this . . . Temple of the Dog.

Then it all changed from there. Now I listen to mostly hip hop and quality alt rock.
    NERDS!
  • That's funny, my friend's band opened for Wheatus earlier this summer at a pizza joint :D

That's fucking funny!
  • luxpjamer wrote:
    Hello, folks...
    I start this thread because I'm curious and want to know what you were listening before pearl jam.
    I was listening to mainstream music as child and with 12,13 began to listen to techno (sorry, it's my confession thread ) my first rebellion. I was in a boarding school in Belgium and everyone was listening to this shit. We organized raves and parties. I remember a night when someone came up with Green day's Dookie and almost everyone said to turn off but I liked it, seems that dookie saved my live :) then began to listen to Oasis, Blur and such a stuff. And one good day I found Yield I bought it and was fascinated from the first to the last one, what a great album. And then Ten, vs., live on two legs,...
    Amen
    Sorry, forgot a very special phase. As a child I was listening to my uncles old Genesis tapes. I really liked it, I was singing something that sounded english for me with the toothbrush as microphone. My favourite song as child was "life is life" from Opus, an austrian wanna-be rock band. My parents were listening to modern talking and ABBA. So I think that Genesis were the best I've listen to in my childhood
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    You guys all sound so young!!!!! :D:D My first 'passion' was the Doors. I was also listening to Grateful Dead, Airplane, Neil Young, etc. Added the likes of Van Halen and others, a bit more metal then Seattle hit! Soundgarden, Pumpkins, Mother Love Bone, Temple of the Dog and..... PJ! I also grew up listening to a lot of Rock n Roll and country (my dad) and french 'chanteurs/chanteuses' (Piaf, Montand, etc) (my mom), as well as 'world' music - Japan, Africa, South America. A bit of a mix, really.....
  • I was raised on Neil Young,Cat Stevens,Crosby,steel,nash,and Young. but I was twelve wWhen the TEN album came out, I meen {dropped} been a die hard ever since . that was in 91 dam i'm old.
  • That's fucking funny!

This is the place: http://www.rocknrollpizza.com
    NERDS!
  • Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    Forgive me father for I have sinned. I started listening to Michael Jackson and George Michael as a young kid, my first vynil was MC Hammer (ooh the shame). After that it was hip hop, Run DMC and Public Enemy, but I was more into the music than most of the lyrics. I also liked things like GnR and Metalica. The 1st house music (Rotterdam Termination Force - Poing / De Rode Schoentjes) I liked, but it wasnt until 92 visiting London that I learned of the Prodigy, I loved the sound. Around the same time I heard PJ's Alive and was hooked, but it was after years of techno parties that I went to a festival in 2000 called Pinkpop to see Pearl Jam. That changed everything... I saw Oasis, Bush, Korn, Live and PEARL JAM blew me away. From that moment on the love for rock grew and grew.
    your light's reflected now
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569

Woah!, check out the pics section (bottom row second right), I'm sure thats Courtney Love working the bar.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • I don't know if this is sad or great but when i was in 1st or 2nd grade i went over a friends house and his dad was playing the new album by GNR-Appetite. Then i went from gnr to the stones to pink floyd till later when nirvana pj, soundgarden, alice in chains hit big then i switched to that. Still a huge gnr fan, saw axl a few weeks ago and he still rocks, but he wont put anything out which makes me sad and like pj more than ever.
  • Obi Once wrote:
    Forgive me father for I have sinned. I started listening to Michael Jackson and George Michael as a young kid, my first vynil was MC Hammer (ooh the shame). After that it was hip hop, Run DMC and Public Enemy, but I was more into the music than most of the lyrics. I also liked things like GnR and Metalica. The 1st house music (Rotterdam Termination Force - Poing / De Rode Schoentjes) I liked, but it wasnt until 92 visiting London that I learned of the Prodigy, I loved the sound. Around the same time I heard PJ's Alive and was hooked, but it was after years of techno parties that I went to a festival in 2000 called Pinkpop to see Pearl Jam. That changed everything... I saw Oasis, Bush, Korn, Live and PEARL JAM blew me away. From that moment on the love for rock grew and grew.

My son, you have to listen to Who's next twice, one greatest hits from the Doors and sing along three times Do the evolution and your sins will be forgiven.
    Amen
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Ten came out when I was 15.

So essentially 8th grade was the period right before I got into PJ. At that point I was into some good bands like GnR, Zep, popular Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, Aerosmith, etc.

But rewind 3-4 years before that into my Bon Jovi and Run DMC phase, and that's a whole different ballgame. Then again, Run DMC are still the kings.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • redrock wrote:
    You guys all sound so young!!!!! :D:D My first 'passion' was the Doors. I was also listening to Grateful Dead, Airplane, Neil Young, etc. Added the likes of Van Halen and others, a bit more metal then Seattle hit! Soundgarden, Pumpkins, Mother Love Bone, Temple of the Dog and..... PJ! I also grew up listening to a lot of Rock n Roll and country (my dad) and french 'chanteurs/chanteuses' (Piaf, Montand, etc) (my mom), as well as 'world' music - Japan, Africa, South America. A bit of a mix, really.....
    I'm born 1982, really bad years for the music. :D I started listening such great bands after I went into pearl jam. I wanted to know more about their inspirations so I began listening to the Doors, The Who (my fav), Neil young and then I started also to listen Ben Harper, Soundgarden... and I began to enjoy other musicians like gainsbourg and J. Brel. PJ really changed my music taste and I think I should be gratefull.
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    Before start listening to rock music and other stuff i was into that 'dance/eurodance' thing.

Snap, C+C Music Factory, Haddaway, Joe Salinas, Technotronic, 2 Unlimited, Dr. Alban, etc...

Good times, i must say!!
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • I was unfortunately into hair metal (Def Leppard, Poison) for a short time (5th grade, circa 1988) until I realized Zeppelin was the real deal. Since getting Led Zeppelin II on cassette, I've been all about rock as art, not as a commodity. It wasn't until college that I really got into hip-hop, with a few exceptions. Around senior year of high school I started to appreciate Cypress Hill and Wu-Tang Clan. Now I listen to many genres of music. Anything that has soul.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I've always listened to everything and anything. As long as it's the real stuff, I can listen to any style or genre of music.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I am the yougest of 5 and was born in 1969. My early influences came from my siblings - Beatles, Zeppelin, Doors etc. My sister who is five years older than me hooked me on The Police in the early '80's along with The Pretenders, The English Beat, Talking Heads etc. As I entered jr high I got into punk - Black Flag, Agent Orange, Circle Jerks etc. For high school it was a mix of all this plus "College radio" stuff like REM. As I graduated and entered college, popular music really sucked so I stuck with the music I had already been listening to. I left college in 1990, got a job and was getting bored with my music but there was still nothing new to buy.

Needless to say, 1992, I listened to Ten and Blood Sugar Sex Magic on a loop. Then Nevermind, TOTD, AIC etc.
  • luxpjamer wrote:
    Hello, folks...
    Amen

Let's see... I can remember being 6-7 yrs old and listening to bob dylan. Then i think that i just listened to the shit on the radio until i heard ....
    Don't laugh!!! Prince. He was the only music that i had heard up to that point that had something to say. Then i got into metal-Started the day i saw walk this way with aerosmith and run dmc. I thought what? Who's that guy with the big lips? I like it! But then, I heard ALIVE! My life was changed forever! I have been a PJ fan since. I did of course catch some Dead shows along the way, but i am die hard PJ since the beginning! I love this fucking band!!
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    pre - p/j i was 15/16 years old and most of my friends were metalheads so i listened to iron maiden, metallica, faith no more & classic rock stuff like zeppellin & the doors

i still listen & love all those bands today (except for metallica)
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • the first piece of music i bought was myslef was Stp- Core in 1992 i was 10 years old! and then very soon after that i was swished down the grunge road into the worlds of aic, nirvana, Pj, etc etc. iwas 11 and 12 and PJ was my favorite band.

so i guess before pj, i would have to say as a little kid i was into pop, as any young child should be, i only got into rock because my older sister corrupted my mind. i liked mc hammer ,vanilla ice, and new kids on the block
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    pre pearl jam i was listening to extreme , poison, mother love bone, alice n chains, gnr, wow pretty weird no female fronted ones on this list
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • When I was 7-10 I listened to all the teen pop shit that was big back then; spice girls, backstreet boys, britney spears, etc. I was about ten when I heard californication-era rhcp, and I loved them. Gorillaz came out a little bit later, and I really like them. In about sixth grade I was very big on smashmouth and no doubt. Then I forgot about music for a few years in middle school, and when I was 13 or so I was a big switchfoot fan (gag). I actually listened to Green Day that year two (weird combination, I know.) Once I got an iPod about a year ago I just started downloaded music like crazy, starting with Radiohead, RHCP, and the beatles. Pretty soon I started listening to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, AIC, etc. And my music taste has been continually branching out since.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    i used to hear many diferents bands especially depeche mode, guns and roses, metallica, the police, bob marley and the beatles...
  • My parents had a record collection that contained the soundtracks from various Broadway shows (West Side Story, Camelot, Man of La Mancha, etc) and the soundtracks from 2001:A Space Odyssey (still one of my favorite films) and the Star Wars movies. My Dad really liked ELO and (oh, the embarassing confession) I still like them a lot. (Let the flames begin...)
    My two favorite bands are Pearl Jam and REM. I had the pleasure of living in Athens, GA for a few years and it was nice to share a town with them. Before PJ, there was the British band Lush (you should really seek out their albums: I'm particularly fond of "Spooky"), Traveling Wilburys, Metallica (never woulda thunk I'd like them...go figure), Matthew Sweet (guitar genius...got to see him live in '92), The Beatles, Peter, Paul & Mary, Bob Dylan, The Doors (I was obsessed in high school..) and Book of Love.
    Oh, the shame. You can stop laughing now. Really, I mean it.
  • Ok, I have a published letter to santa at 4 where I ask for a rush tape, and a My first sony player. My dad always had good music around, so I had a early exposure to the beatles, stones, zepplin. George harrison's set on you is a huge song from that age as well.......

In the late 80's though, It was poison..I loved 'em.....got into the whole C + C Music factory and EMF(remember unbelievable?), then came guns, and well, Seattle happened, and ever since it's been underground music, give or take a mainstream band here or there
  • Before Pearl Jam I used to listen to hardcore. That stuff wipes the floor with garage.
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    1995- 11yrs old

95-96- 1st year of junior high- Ten is purchased

96-99- don't really listen to much music, except the radio.

00-02- listen to alot of "empty music" through out High School, Hybrid Theory, Candy ass, Vapor transmission is purchased. a shitty part of my life i would like to soon forget. (lots of booze!!!)

03-04-college- trend continues, except for Pretty Hate Machine (still great) and Short Bus. "hey, these albums are angry for me, have you heard the Only Time?"

04-05- realize Ten was thrown in trash (accident) by mom while moving.
    -Title of Record is purchased (damn good album)
    -Title of Record leads to STP, Soundgarden, Neil Young and LZ purchases.
    -Saw "singles" on HBO, Rearviewmirror purchase. "Hey, what ever happened to this band?". Answer: they have been rockin shit for more than a decade!!!
    -Lost Dogs and many more PJ albums bought along a very short span

05- 06-Lots of great music in collection
    -"empty music" thrown away by me on purpose.
    -current listens include: LZ 2, Yank Hotel Foxtrot, Grace, PJ, Badmotorfinger, East rutherford 6/1/06 Bootleg, title of record, War, Rust never Sleeps
    -^thats just the last couple of days (no, i'm not bipolar)
    -Ramble on!
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I grew up listening to classic rock and oldies cause of my parents. Which I have to say was really awesome, and I'm totally thankful for it. However, at around 13 years old, I had to discover a little music for myself, and I actually bought Creed and Limp Bizkit (I already was getting into RHCP, STP, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam). Thankfully I made the smart move of selling the Creed cd to my friend for about 6 dollars, and just threw out the Limp Bizkit. I did make an awesome deal though, of trading a Cup o' Noodles for STP's Purple while at sleep away camp when I was 13!
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Obi Once wrote:

it's ok, i too suffered the shame of an mc hammer habit when i was really little.

when i left hip hop behind i moved onto an interesting combination: bryan adams and aerosmith. more so the former. i still have a soft spot for bryan adams. as time progressed, i dug hootie and the blowfish and sherly crow. ah, soft rock.

then my friend gave me a tape that had nine inch nails, nirvana, pearl jam, green day, etc. and ive never looked back. ok, not THAT much. i still dig a good hootie tune ;)
  • yosi wrote:
    I did make an awesome deal though, of trading a Cup o' Noodles for STP's Purple while at sleep away camp when I was 13!

Very nice trade.

I was born in 1985, so I really wasn't old enough to be into music before Ten came out. Though I did grow up listening to classic rock, because that is what my dad would have on when we were in the car. Sadly, now my dad listens to country :(
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."