Thoughts on Jack Johnson's music?

2»

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I tried to like it, but.......................just not enough in it, music too basic, vocals very basic, lyric content, mmmmmmmmmmm.
    TBH, it sounded about as good as I could manage, and I is no rock star.
    But, I wouldn't go as far as putting down someone who does like it, just didn't have any zing for me. Needs some howling lead guitar or something, maybe even decent guitar tone would be a start. Suurely he can afford a nice Gibson acoutic by now.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I tried to like it, but.......................just not enough in it, music too basic, vocals very basic, lyric content, mmmmmmmmmmm.
    TBH, it sounded about as good as I could manage, and I is no rock star.
    But, I wouldn't go as far as putting down someone who does like it, just didn't have any zing for me. Needs some howling lead guitar or something, maybe even decent guitar tone would be a start. Suurely he can afford a nice Gibson acoutic by now.

I don't think he intends anything to be to complex. Nothing complex about relaxing on the beach or bbqing in the backyard. Everyone has their own preferences though.

Wierd though isn't it, that i can't listen to his music and be a guy? I didn't know there were rules governing music listening. Strange.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    Yeah, I'm not much of a fan. I need more than a few simple chords and a guy whispering... No offense to the many of you here who do like him
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • KellerKeller Posts: 177
    While we are on the subject. Does anyone know what album the song "walk alone" is from?

P.S. Jack puts on one hell of a live show..i saw him twice with ben harper.
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • Hawkshore wrote:
    Fantastic chill out or ease your way into the day kind of music.......I only have In Between Dreams, are the other discs as good?
    If you like In Between Dreams, you'll love the other two.
    The bass lines are completely insane, that's what hooked me.
    Go see The Avett Brothers!!
  • Hi to those who responded. After listening to the Curious George soundtrack and reading these reviews, I have a pretty good understanding about what to expect.

I appreciate all that took their time to share their thoughts. I think I will be getting at least one of his CDs under the guise that it is for my daughters

;-)

I can't have people thinking I am not a real man or anything

PEACE!!!
    For those who scoff at "Jamily" in my name... 9 years ago, when my first daughter was born there were jokes about whether my priority would be my family or PJ. I smiled and quipped "I am a JamilyMan." What was a family joke became a hated term among jammers. Didn't see that one coming!
  • i know that Jack Johnson isnt for everyone, and the music isnt too complex. Thats what is appealing to me. Its nice to be a fan of someone you will give you some easy less complex songs -- not everyone can be Radiohead and push the envelope with every release.
  • korbykorby Posts: 298
    the lyrics r mature enough for adults

but safe enough for kids

and musically great, easy listening. 2 thumbs up
    its ok
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I can't say it better than this:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/your-band-sucks/jack-johnson-john.php

I know I hate links cause it's a cop out but this is brillant so like read it and shit
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    I can't say it better than this:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/your-band-sucks/jack-johnson-john.php

I know I hate links cause it's a cop out but this is brillant so like read it and shit

So i like read it and like shit. So you like think i should be like shot for not like hating like Jack Johnson? Apparently that's what you think since you said "I can't say it better." You're pretty twisted fella. Why the hell do people think that every single piece of music out there must be extraordinarily complex w/ tons of time changes, more than 3 chords per tune, where half the lyrics need to be looked up in the dictionary to be good? I guess those people just have a better mastery of the musical world. You make it sound like you're the musical elite, the equivelent of hollywood a-listers who thumb their noses at those of us w/ "inferior" musical taste.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • So i like read and like shit. So you like think i should be like shot for not like hating like Jack Johnson? Apparently that's what you think since you said "I can't say it better." You're pretty twisted fella. Why the hell do people think that every single piece of music out there must be extraordinarily complex w/ tons of time changes, more than 3 chords per tune, where half the lyrics need to be looked up in the dictionary to be good? I guess those people just have a better mastery of the musical world. You make it sound like you're the musical elite, the equivelent of hollywood a-listers who thumb their noses at those of us w/ "inferior" musical taste.

No kidding. Im sure the people who bash him are fans of bands that go to drop-d tuning and play the easist form of guitar. Im sure they already knew that though.
  • love him. his music soothes me. not everything has to be radiohead, or overtly complex.

homeboy could hum through a whole song and still make it sound good!
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • PJ PookPJ Pook Posts: 109
    I have ever JJ cd including his compilations like Brokedown Melody w/Eddie. I like all of the albums. His music is very simple and calming. As much as I enjoy his music, I find him pretty boring in concert. I have seen him a few times in concert and what I found most exciting about his show was watching his surf videos on the screen behind him. His music definitely isn't for everyone but who's music is?!
  • I've never understood the appeal of Jack Johnson. I won't put anyone down for listening to him, but for me, he's the musical equivalent of watching paint dry.
  • I've never understood the appeal of Jack Johnson. I won't put anyone down for listening to him, but for me, he's the musical equivalent of watching paint dry.

I was just watching some paint dry this past weekend, and watching the green was incredibly interesting. Blue was okay too, but I felt it was a lot like listening to Enya.

Know what I mean?!?
    For those who scoff at "Jamily" in my name... 9 years ago, when my first daughter was born there were jokes about whether my priority would be my family or PJ. I smiled and quipped "I am a JamilyMan." What was a family joke became a hated term among jammers. Didn't see that one coming!
  • taratara Posts: 293
    alright, i'll get in on this, to the person taht said that he's like an anasthetic, lmao, sometimes it's true, but if i'm awake enough and relaxed enough he's ok, but sometimes when i watch him, he looks a bit too much like a stereotype, the comfortable jeans, barefeet (snl anyone?), incredibly chilled out movements (does he have a pot iv hooked up). i guess though that i've been in a soundgarden mood lately though so i shouldn't comment

what bothers me is how he's always grouped with ben harper, it's like how yoga and pilates are used in the same sentence. ben harper is an incredibly talented musician that plays/sings with passion, jj is the guy around the campfire that makes you feel warm and fuzzy, which is ok sometimes
    No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
    Albert Einstein
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I have the curious george soundtrack and "in betwen dreams".
    Both are really good albums I listened to quite often.
    When I want to have a quiet moment coming back from work, I like puttin the "in between dreams" vinyl an just enjoy it...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm