Thoughts on Jack Johnson's music?

JamilyManJamilyMan Posts: 240
edited February 2007 in Other Music
My daughters have the Curious George soundtrack and I have been listening to it with them. I find myself digging the tunes and know that he is part of that festival that Eddie and Boom are playing at in Hawaii in April. Ben Harper and G. Love also appear on that - for those that don't know.

I know that Jack has other albums... but I don't know if they are any good - or what gendre they are.

Anyone have any thoughts on Jack's music that they would care to share? I am always looking for new tunes... and when they are things that I can listen to with my daughters, its all the better. This sometimes limits some of the PJ boots I listen to with them, as I think there was one time when Eddie said a bad word ;-)

Seriously... any thoughts on Jack's music would be greatly appreciated.

PEACE!!!
For those who scoff at "Jamily" in my name... 9 years ago, when my first daughter was born there were jokes about whether my priority would be my family or PJ. I smiled and quipped "I am a JamilyMan." What was a family joke became a hated term among jammers. Didn't see that one coming!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i listened to "in between dreams" quite a bit and liked it a lot.

then one day i heard "on and on" and it was the same damn record.

it was like a switch.

next time something from "in between dreams" popped up on my ipod i just wanted to punch him in the nose.

now his music drives me nuts.
  • laid back, chill, acoustic, surfing music. Basically it's music you'd play around a campfire on the beach after a night of surfing.
    good positive messages in his tunes. Not for everyone, but I dig him!
    "The whole world will be different soon"
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    laid back, chill, acoustic, surfing music. Basically it's music you'd play around a campfire on the beach after a night of surfing.
    Dead on. He makes great summer music. Not something I will listen to every week, but when I'm in the right mood "In Between Dreams" is a great album.
  • i really dig his music. Just relaxing chill campfire tunes. No complex arrangements, no wierd experimentation, just simple tunes. Its good stuff.

I dont really like how cliche he seems to have become. EVERYONE listens to him. Its the popular thing to do
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I am not the biggest fan.. I can tolerate it, and I really enjoy a few songs, but I prefer Audioslave when I'm taking a break from Pearl Jam...

We'll see if that changes after Hawaii!
  • the first album is clearly his best work, Brushfire Fairytales
    hate was just a legend
  • I am reading just what I thought... it sounds like the Curious George soundtrack is pretty indicative of what other songs sound like.

I appreciate the thoughts - and please feel free to keep them coming.

PEACE!!!
    For those who scoff at "Jamily" in my name... 9 years ago, when my first daughter was born there were jokes about whether my priority would be my family or PJ. I smiled and quipped "I am a JamilyMan." What was a family joke became a hated term among jammers. Didn't see that one coming!
  • His songs are 'OK', but I'm afraid I just think he sounds like he's on anaesthetic. There's no power in his voice; he whispers into the mic like a 10 year old kid who's never touched a mic and sang before.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    laid back, chill, acoustic, surfing music. Basically it's music you'd play around a campfire on the beach after a night of surfing.

This somes JJ up. :)
  • I am a big Jack fan. I don't think anyone can say that "In Between Dreams" and "On and On" are anywhere near the same albums. IBD is a lot lighter and has more of a updeat sound to it, whereas "On and On" and "Brushfire Fairytales" both are very blues/folk fusion. My personal favorite is IBD, but the others are in heavy rotation as well.
  • I bought 'In Between Dreams' and it seriously bored me to death.
    Cock Fight.
  • KellerKeller Posts: 177
    i'm a big fan of

1.Brushfire fairytales
    2.On and On
    3.In Between Dreams
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • I love all of Jack Johnson's stuff. I usually play it if it's an "indoor" day (raining/snowing heavily out) or in the summer. From the sounds of this thread it definetely isn't for everybody. I'm willing to bet that the same DMB haters are the same ones in here hating on JJ.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    my opinion is his music is awful dreck.

sorry you asked for opinions, and i think he sucks
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • i think this kind of music is really nice to listen to in the outside, when you are at a barbacue, drinking some beers with friends in the garden or in some green place
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Fantastic chill out or ease your way into the day kind of music.......I only have In Between Dreams, are the other discs as good?
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • It's good chill music. I still laugh when my "musician" friend says that he's one of the most amazing guitar players out there. I think that's a wee bit of a stretch.
    NERDS!
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    No: The Strokes are good chill music. Jack Johnson is a fool.
  • artjamartjam Posts: 227
    Well, since i seem to be inebriated, and giving opinions out like condoms at an aids rally tonight, let me say...

Jack Johnson is great, fuck what ya heard. :D
  • artjam wrote:
    Well, since i seem to be inebriated, and giving opinions out like condoms at an aids rally tonight, let me say...

Jack Johnson is great, fuck what ya heard. :D

Drunk posting is great isn't it? Especially while listening to jack johnson
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

• I think he's incredibly boring.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • larslars Posts: 524
    Jack Johnson is for the girls. You cannot be a proud man and like Jack Johnson
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • lars wrote:

You could be a thoroughly ashamed man and like Jack Johnson.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I think he's incredibly boring.

ditto
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • lars wrote:

Awww shucks. I guess i can't be proud anymore because i don't listen to hard metal shit. Fuck, i'm going to go sulk now...gimme a fuckin break.

"She fell funny"

• rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Jack's music is fun and light. I agree with SweetHarmonics who said that Brushfire Fairytales is his best work.

It occurs to me that one could call classify his music as folk, if indeed the surf/beach scene can be thought of as a culture or way of life. That seems to be who he is and who his music describes.

He won't blow you away with technical prowess or aggression, but that's not the aim. It's nice to accent the background of your beach trip or picnic, but you wouldn't spend time dissecting his lyrics.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
    Awww shucks. I guess i can't be proud anymore because i don't listen to hard metal shit. Fuck, i'm going to go sulk now...gimme a fuckin break.
    something called pride
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I play his music at work. It keeps me chilled and stops me being to pissed off with customers.
  • lars wrote:
    something called pride

Just keep repeating yourself

"She fell funny"

Just keep repeating yourself
    something called pride