Icky Thump today.....

2»

Comments

• CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I don't think "St. Andrew" is a very good Meg track, but her songs usually take a while to grow on me. I also don't like the spoken parts of "Rag & Bone"(the music and singing is GREAT though). Other than those two small complaints I am really enjoying the album. I can't really rank the songs, but I'll put them into groups:

Top Songs;
    -Icky Thump
    -You Don't Know What Love Is(probably my favorite)
    -300 MPH....
    -Conquest
    -Rag & Bone
    -Effect & Cause

Good songs:
    -Little Cream Soda
    -I'm Slowly Turning Into You
    -Catch Hell Blues

Songs I haven't gotten into so far:
    -Bone Broke
    -Prickly Thorn...
    -A Martyr...
    -St. Andrew

It isn't as immediately catchy as any of their last 4 albums, I think "You Don't KNow What Love Is" would be a great single but there is nothing along the lines of "My Doorbell", "Seven Nation Army", "Blue Orchid", "You're PRetty Good Looking", "Fell In LOve With A Girl", etc on the album.
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    CM1847 wrote:
    I also don't like the spoken parts of "Rag & Bone"(the music and singing is GREAT though).

Only listened to the record once so far -- but the version of Rag and Bones is a little different than what's on the CD. The LP version has a little less of the spoken or at least it's a little more low key.

BTW, the vinyl is primo production! Nice and quiet 180g RTI pressing. Flat lead-in groove. The rice paper (anti-static) sleeves. The jacket is also a heavy weight. Thank you White Stripes for giving us a quality vinyl version.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • PlantPage55PlantPage55 Posts: 136
    A Martyr for My Love for You is as if Jack White stole all my thoughts on relationships from my head (which I could not express in such a magnificent way) and put them into a haunting song.

It may just become my favorite White Stripes song period.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    It's pretty good. It's not great, and I think I still prefer Get Behind Me Satan. It's no where near the brilliance of Elephant. I love both "Bone" songs. Conquest is cool, but it's just a novelty cover. The bagpipe songs don't do anything for me. You Don't Know What Love Is is going to be a Stripes anthem for years.
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,743
    Yup. Newbury Comics rocks. You might be able to order it with the vinyl from their website at http://www.newburycomics.com, but i don't know how many vinyls they'll have left. Other than Newbury, the only other place that I have been to that holds a candle to it is Sound Garden in Syracuse, NY, quite possibly the greatest music store ever, being independent, huge, and dirt cheap on music and dvds.

So what songs are on the vinyl? Someone said a picture disc also? I never heard what it was.
  • Ok, so after listening to it a few more times...I'm really liking it!! :D

Song rankings:

1.You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)
    2.Icky Thump
    3.I'm Slowly Turning Into You
    4.Effect & Cause
    5.Rag & Bone

6.300 M.P.H Torrential Outpour Blues
    7.A Martyr For My Love For You
    8.Little Cream Soda
    9.Bone Broke
    10.Catch Hell Blues

11.Prickly Thorn But Sweetly Worn
    12.St. Andrew (This Battle Is In The Air)

13.Conquest
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I love the album Icky thump! Finally, I had time to sit and fully absorb that album today. Overall Great album... I do hate the single "Icky thump" though. I think it's the worst of all the tracks, and I wouldn't have made it a single. However, I'm sure no one gives 10 shits what I think, but Great, Great album.
    I hated Blue orchid from GBMS, but loved the rest of the record. Maybe I'm just not keen on their recent singles for radio play, but the Stripes are one of my favorite bands. Love their unique garage rock style.

I give Icky thump 8.5 out of 10 stars. fantastic album, bad single choice is all.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Bump! yessss.... just bought my copy 2dai.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    red mos wrote:
    I love the album Icky thump! Finally, I had time to sit and fully absorb that album today. Overall Great album... I do hate the single "Icky thump" though. I think it's the worst of all the tracks, and I wouldn't have made it a single. However, I'm sure no one gives 10 shits what I think, but Great, Great album.
    I hated Blue orchid from GBMS, but loved the rest of the record. Maybe I'm just not keen on their recent singles for radio play, but the Stripes are one of my favorite bands. Love their unique garage rock style.

I give Icky thump 8.5 out of 10 stars. fantastic album, bad single choice is all.

I agree that Icky Thump is not that radio frinedly, I would have picked Rag'n'Bone, or summat, or Little Cream Soda, maybe.
    But, I don't mind that the masses don't get to enjoy teh STripes for free, that they have to think a bit , and do some digging, and buy the album to get the best of em.
    Music is not a competetion.