Icky Thump today.....

lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
edited June 2007 in Other Music
.........because us little Aussies are such good kiffies, we got official album release today.

So, I wandered in an picked it up.

Everyone is going to be very pleased. Great songs, enough variety to be interesting, btu defintely all White Stripes.

My favs so far are Littel Cream Soda, and Rag and Bone. That is a very entertaining song, and had me smiling and grinning and laffing out loud, which not much music does these days.
Music is not a competetion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    someone should check the torrents today. Another version leaked
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,743
    OH man I can't wait to buy it in the states on Tuesday, been waiting two years!
  • poorgirl23poorgirl23 Posts: 194
    RAG 'N BONE!!!! Ah, love it.

I pre-ordered mine from insound and got it yesterday, along with a very cool 7" picture disc. CD sounds a lot better than the leak. I love this record soooo much. Classic White Stripes brilliance.

Favorites at the moment are A Martyr For My Love For You, Rag & Bone, 300mph Torrential Outpour Blues, Bone Broke, Icky Thump... I actually absolutely love every track. The artwork is great, and how sweet and cool are the thank yous?

So excited that I get to see them 3 times this year.

JACK 'N MEG!!!
    Common sense is not so common.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    lovin the single. BY FAR the best thing on the radio right now. so i'll be picking up the album this week.
  • just picked it up today, and it sounds great. anyone else get a free vinyl that comes with it? i picked icky thump up at newbury comics and was thrilled to get a free 7" vinyl that looks really sweet- haven't spun it yet, but i assume it contains b-sides.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • igotid_8igotid_8 Posts: 501
    Jack and Meg continue to dazzle! Great album. Can't wait to get it on LP!

Martyr is my favorite so far, only because I've been listening to Rag and Bone single nonstop for a couple of weeks.
    2000 Columbus, Pittsburgh
    2003 Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus
    2004 Toledo
    2005 Hamilton, Pittsburgh
    2006 Cleveland, Auburn Hills, Pittsburgh
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Cleveland
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Detroit
    2016 Tampa, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018 Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2022 Hamilton
    2023 Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Austin 1, Austin 2
    2024 Las Vegas 1, Las Vegas 2
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    Yeah, I got the free vinyl picture disk at newbury comics--what a deal. I think I'm gonna hang it on the wall. Love the Stripes...
  • The first single is so goddamn interesting. Love it. Definetly picking this album up.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I'll be picking it up after work tonight. I really can't wait to listen. I become more obsessed with the White Stripes every day I think.
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Bought the album on vinyl yesterday. Pretty decent. I think I like Get Behind Me Satan better. Bone Broke is a stand-out. It's good, but not great.
  • Bought the album on vinyl yesterday. Pretty decent. I think I like Get Behind Me Satan better. Bone Broke is a stand-out. It's good, but not great.

I'm kind of agreeing w/ you so far. I'm through i'm slowly turning into you so far. It's alright but not quite up to the standard of the two previous ones. I'm pretty sure it's going to grow on me though :D

I think that's one of the great things about the Stripes though...and it's kind of like PJ. Everyone has their preferences. There isn't really one huge defining album, just lots of fantastic ones.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Pretty good thusfar. It is similar to their previous stuff but at the same definitely something new for them. It rocks harder than most of their stuff, on WBC/Elephant they had some rockers, but they were catchy, songs here like "Icky Thump", "Little Cream Soda" and "Bone Broke" rock, but aren't nearly as catchy as, say, "Seven Nation Army", "Fell IN Love With A Girl" or "Hypnotize."

"You Don't Know What Love Is", "Conquest" and "Effect and Cause" are the early standouts for me. It always takes me a little longer to get into their more rocking stuff. The biggest downside so far is that Meg's vocal parts don't seem that interesting, "St. Andrew" is probably my least favorite Meg track they've done. I like the parts of "Rag & Bone" where they sing, but the spoken parts(especially Meg's) are really bad.

Pretty good album so far, it rocks quite a bit, it begs to be turned up as loud as you can stand.
  • PearlStripesPearlStripes Posts: 267
    I'm on song 9 now (1st time through) and already love it. Much better than Get Behind Me Satan.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Icky Thump, best to worst:

1. Bone Broke + Torrential Downpour Blues... yesssss....
    2. Little Cream Soda
    3. Catch Hell Blues
    4. Icky Thump
    5. Conquest
    6. You Don't Know What Love Is
    7. I'm Slowly Turning Into You
    8. Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn
    9. Effect and Cause

Martyr, Rag and Bone, and St. Andrew don't do anything for me.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    Icky Thump, best to worst:

1. Bone Broke + Torrential Downpour Blues... yesssss....
    2. Little Cream Soda
    3. Catch Hell Blues
    4. Icky Thump
    5. Conquest
    6. You Don't Know What Love Is
    7. I'm Slowly Turning Into You
    8. Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn
    9. Effect and Cause

Martyr, Rag and Bone, and St. Andrew don't do anything for me.

Oh man, I love Rag'n'Bone !! HOw can you not smile and laugh listening to that. Maybe you need to watch some Steptoe and Son !!

Actually, I love em all. I would say this is their most consistent album to date.
    Ah am loving teh STripes this week.
    Music is not a competetion.
    GREAT album. Absolutely love it. Whats this about the free 7 inch? It must be only certain stores or something. I'd like to get a hold of one of those. Anyone know where else they sell the album with the free single?
    Is this Newbury comics an east coast thing?
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    You Don't Know What Love Is...

HOLY SHIT!!!!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Is this Newbury comics an east coast thing?

It's a New England thing, probably one of the best Indy chains around. I put it up there with Amoeba from the West Coast.
  • Icky Thump is, without question, my favorite WS album and my favorite album this year so far.

Ranking of songs:
    1. Rag & Bone
    2. Icky Thump
    3. You Don't Know What Love Is...
    4. A Martyr For My Love For You
    5. 300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpoor Blues
    6. Little Cream Soda
    7. Catch Hell Blues
    8. I'm Slowly Turning Into You
    9. Conquest
    10. Bone Broke
    11. Effect & Cause
    12. Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn
    13. St. Andrew
    If you're headed to the grave,
    you don't blame the hearse.

07/09/03, 05/05/06, 06/01/06, 06/03/06
  • pjfanmanpjfanman Posts: 84
    Easily their best album....rock album of the year so far. They are becoming my second fav. band.

My favorite so far is the tune, "You don't know what love is (You just do what your told)"
  • It's a New England thing, probably one of the best Indy chains around. I put it up there with Amoeba from the West Coast.

Yup. Newbury Comics rocks. You might be able to order it with the vinyl from their website at http://www.newburycomics.com, but i don't know how many vinyls they'll have left. Other than Newbury, the only other place that I have been to that holds a candle to it is Sound Garden in Syracuse, NY, quite possibly the greatest music store ever, being independent, huge, and dirt cheap on music and dvds.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    fuckin ace!! i bought it to listen to on the way home from Wembley gig.. played it 3 times straight and then had a wee blast of it again last night.

i like the bagpipes ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    supreme album but not as good as a few other big albums this yearr. KOL included. Fairly solid effort.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Great album. It's a little too early to be sure, but based on one day of listening (about 2 1/2 spins through the album) I think it's my favorite Stripes album so far. Catch Hell Blues is currently my favorite track. That one rocks in an early Zeppelin way.

I'd say it's a close second behind Dinosaur Jr. for best album of 2007 so far.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    dunkman wrote:
    i like the bagpipes ;)

I liked them too! I'm sure most people will view that as a throwaway song but it'd be really cool to play that live. Does Meg play the bagpipes? (Not meant to be a dirty pun but it sure sounds like it.)
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    It's a New England thing, probably one of the best Indy chains around. I put it up there with Amoeba from the West Coast.

Indie chain? Being a "chain" defeats the purpose of being "indie".
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Milestone wrote:
    Indie chain? Being a "chain" defeats the purpose of being "indie".

Not really. It has low prices, and has all the elements of an indie store, from merchandise to tons of independent music. Plus, it's INDEPENDENT- privately owned.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    gabers wrote:
    I liked them too! I'm sure most people will view that as a throwaway song but it'd be really cool to play that live. Does Meg play the bagpipes? (Not meant to be a dirty pun but it sure sounds like it.)

Didn't you read the album notes? Bagpipes played by Jim Drury.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    got mine today. pretty good so far.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.