I so totally found Alice In Chains

marker_in_the_sandmarker_in_the_sand Posts: 272
edited October 2007 in Other Music
I bough Dirt earlier, I liked it very much especially songs like; God Smack, Rain When I Die, Down In A Hole and Would?. Now not to long ago I bought both Alice In Chains (Self-Titled) and Jar Of Flies/Sap:

I SO TOTALLY LOVE AIC RIGHT NOW

cheers
I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Get AiC unplugged - it'll be one of the best things you ever do :D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I bough Dirt earlier, I liked it very much especially songs like; God Smack, Rain When I Die, Down In A Hole and Would?. Now not to long ago I bought both Alice In Chains (Self-Titled) and Jar Of Flies/Sap:

cheers
    that's cool. I don't know what would have happened if I'd bought self-titled first though :) I didn't get that album for quite a while. so glad I bought Dirt first. was my favourite album ever for years. i agree with your favourite songs too.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    that's cool. I don't know what would have happened if I'd bought self-titled first though :) I didn't get that album for quite a while. so glad I bought Dirt first. was my favourite album ever for years. i agree with your favourite songs too.

about my fave songs on dirt, I'm afraid I forgot about Dam That River! :cool:

EDIT: I love self-titled. Escpecially "Heaven Beside You" and "Head Creeps".
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    good job :)

get the mtv dvd :)
  • snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    they are amazing for sure. dirt is one of my favorite albums of all time. also don't forget about 'dirt' the song. fuckin awesome.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228

cheers

you really need to pick up Facelift when you have the extra Cash. Some real rockers on there besides the obvious man in the box. You get It Ain't Like That, Love Hate Love, Blead the Freak, Sea of Sorrow, & Confusion... yeah basicallly the whole album rocks.

I did not even mention we die young, sunshine, real thing... yep they all kick ass.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I BrisK I wrote:
    good job :)

get the mtv dvd :)

I have to disagree. I love the CD but the DVD is a little painful to watch. Layne looks so bad. It's kind of sad.
    intodeep wrote:

I did not even mention we die young, sunshine, real thing... yep they all kick ass.
    how could you not? We Die Young and Sunshine are two of the best songs.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    it will be interesting what their new stuff sounds like................
  • mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    Dirt, Facelift, and Tripod where great albums but by far the best where Jar of Flies and Unplugged. The lyrics to Rotten Apple, nutshell, and Don't Follow are so haunting. You could feel his pain coming through the speakers.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • F'n_Circus wrote:
    it will be interesting what their new stuff sounds like................

I think Musically they are going to go back to Facelift with some Sap style ballads. Watching them onstage they don't seem to be as "dark" as previously so I think the lyrics might be more upbeat or abstract.

I think it will sound amazing.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Alice In Chains is one of the most influential bands of the early 90's hands down. Look at bands called Godsmack. It is also no secret Layne touched Vedder's life -- listen to the secret track on Lost Dogs disc two after Bee Girl. I first thought it was about Kurt.
    I think Musically they are going to go back to Facelift with some Sap style ballads. Watching them onstage they don't seem to be as "dark" as previously so I think the lyrics might be more upbeat or abstract.

I think it will sound amazing.
    i think they will too. saw them at the Gorge last month and they killed it. William was awesome.
    I don't know if I could go to an AIC concert. It just doesn't seem right without Layne.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
    mammasan wrote:
    I don't know if I could go to an AIC concert. It just doesn't seem right without Layne.
    i was hesitant at first, but gave it a chance.

its a shame that Layne disentigrated right before our eyes, and frankly, painful to watch at times since he was so fucked up. I wish he could have turned it around.

with that said though, it was a joy to see someone singing the shit out of those songs without proclaiming how fucked up and stoned he is............cause frankly, I love the songs.
    F'n_Circus wrote:
    i was hesitant at first, but gave it a chance.

its a shame that Layne disentigrated right before our eyes, and frankly, painful to watch at times since he was so fucked up. I wish he could have turned it around.

with that said though, it was a joy to see someone singing the shit out of those songs without proclaiming how fucked up and stoned he is............cause frankly, I love the songs.

True. That unplugged performance was brutal to watch. Layne was so sickly and frail. I had the pleasure of seeing them a few times before his health really started deteriorating and he was so energetic on stage. Seeing him hunched over barely able to hit the high notes was heart wrenching.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    mammasan wrote:
    Dirt, Facelift, and Tripod where great albums but by far the best where Jar of Flies and Unplugged. The lyrics to Rotten Apple, nutshell, and Don't Follow are so haunting. You could feel his pain coming through the speakers.
    second that. jar of flies is just wow.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    mammasan wrote:

Yeah you are right they are all very good, but if someone came to me and said.. "Intodeep you must choose to either have dirt or jar of flies. the one you do not choose you will never hear again for as long as you live. Those songs will be banned from rattiling your earlobes"

Give Me Dirt Baby :)

Just my preference, I love Dirt.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Yeah you are right they are all very good, but if someone came to me and said.. "Intodeep you must choose to either have dirt or jar of flies. the one you do not choose you will never hear again for as long as you live. Those songs will be banned from rattiling your earlobes"

Give Me Dirt Baby :)

Just my preference, I love Dirt.

I would punch them in the face and run off with both albums. No one is depriving me of my Alice in Chains.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I got Tripod first. Didn't know much about them and that album had the best cover so I picked it up. Dirt was actually my last AIC purchase as far as studio work goes.

Anyway......Tripod was not what I was expecting at all but something drew me into it. Grind in particular, so fresh, so unique. Frogs was another one that stuck out to me, and of course Shame in You. Perhaps one of the darkest albums I've heard that has intelligence (in my opinion--can't stand death metal, they should all take notes from Layne if they want to write a creepy/scary song).

It's my favorite of the catalogue.
    mammasan wrote:
    True. That unplugged performance was brutal to watch. Layne was so sickly and frail. I had the pleasure of seeing them a few times before his health really started deteriorating and he was so energetic on stage. Seeing him hunched over barely able to hit the high notes was heart wrenching.
    too true. I personally think it's an incredible video, not as a musical document (although that performance of nutshell ranks as one of the most moving things I've ever heard) but as a snapshot of a human being. it's so terribly sad to watch. I've only ever been able to sit through the whole thing about 3 times. it sounds really weird, and kind of sad, to say it about a person who I never met but I love Layne. his songs mean so much to me, and it just feels like watching a friend dying.
  • mammasan wrote:

I always feel the same way that's why I haven't seen them, but after all of the good feedback I guess I have to see them now.
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Jennytree wrote:
    Get AiC unplugged - it'll be one of the best things you ever do :D
    agreed; their best album
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Heaven Beside You
    im awesome
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I recently got the AIC Unplugged album. I wept during Nutshell, it was so haunting and beautiful. It's become one of my favorite albums.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    ahh glad you're opened to the wonderful world of aic.

listening to 'shame in you' right now, from the self-titled. this song just gives me chills. one of their most amazing slow emotional type songs.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Saw them at the House of Blues in Orlando last night....good times.
    Most people with low self-esteem have earned it.
  • Alice In Chains is my favorite band ever, I've seen them live twice, once with Velvet Revolver, and once last year at The Warfield, they played for like 3 hours, did an acoustic set, played DIRT AND HATE TO FEEL, and they had a really great video tribute to Layne. The band is truly incredible. I'm really happy with William Duvall, he is a great singer, and it's not like Layne is off doing spoken word tours and Jerry is draggin around 3 dudes we've never heard of Mike & Sean are still there, and William gels with band he doesn't seem like a fill in.

Great band, can't wait for there new album & HEADLINING TOUR.
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
    ahh glad you're opened to the wonderful world of aic.

listening to 'shame in you' right now, from the self-titled. this song just gives me chills. one of their most amazing slow emotional type songs.
    I am so pissed off right now. last night I had a massive craving to hear Shame in You after reading this thread and realised that after my iPod crashed I lost it and never got round to putting it back on. now I'm at university without my copy of Tripod and file-sharing software is banned on the network. anyone want to PM me the song? I assure you that I own every AIC album on CD.
  • #X.#X. Posts: 142
    I also recommend Unplugged. #X.
    "The Poet is a madman lost in adventure."
    -Paul Verlaine-

"With me poetry has not been a purpose, but a passion."
    -Edgar Poe-