New Great American Rockbands?

wimbeldinowimbeldino Posts: 28
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Are there any great new bands out there?

Like the old Bush, Counting Crows, Gin Blossoms, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Better than Ezra...

Any body can help me out what is the hottest shit right now?

After seeing Pearl Jam in Arnhem next Tuesday I will go on holidays!
Arnhem will be fantastic. Wolfmother will open...

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ThrippleThripple Posts: 25
    Wasn't Bush english?
  • SamSam Posts: 45
    I just picked up Thee Emergency. They have an amazing amount of energy and Dita Vox has an amazing voice. I hope to see them at Bumpershoot.
  • prodacakeprodacake Posts: 319
    Yeah bush are english but they never really hit it big over here, are they still big in the states
  • DercheefDercheef Posts: 732
    I like We are Scientist alot. Very good album.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,385
    prodacake wrote:
    Yeah bush are english but they never really hit it big over here, are they still big in the states

They broke up dude.... Gavin has a new band called Institute. I thought the debut album was pretty decent.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Hell yeah, Better Than Ezra. There is one band that never gets the credit they deserve
  • Kings of Leon- amazing stuff coming from these guys 1st 2 albums blew my mind and i'm sure susequent releases will do the same.

Sam Roberts- from Montreal they released an album a few weeks b4 Avacado was released and IMO Chemical City is FAR superior(don't tell any of myfriends that i said that)
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Kings of Leon- amazing stuff coming from these guys 1st 2 albums blew my mind and i'm sure susequent releases will do the same.

Sam Roberts- from Montreal they released an album a few weeks b4 Avacado was released and IMO Chemical City is FAR superior(don't tell any of myfriends that i said that)

You should check out Sam Roberts first album "we were born in a flame"..its even better..he is one of the best rock acts out right now for sure

My Morning Jacket is the best rock band in America right now IMO.
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    Igottago wrote:
    You should check out Sam Roberts first album "we were born in a flame"..its even better..he is one of the best rock acts out right now for sure

i second that about MMJ!!!!!!!
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Igottago wrote:

yep yep

and not new, but great:
    Drive-By Truckers
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Igottago wrote:

being from Canada helps too, MM , MMM and radio all have Cancon, but holy $#!+ Sam can rip it up. PJ listen up get these guys to open for you next tour:) please
  • not exactly new, but based on the bands you mentioned these might be new to you...

here's the cream of the crop:

strokes
    white stripes
    flaming lips
    queens of the stone age
    sleater-kinney
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Kings of Leon, Modest Mouse (not nearly new, but finally getting more attention that they deserve), MMJ, ...

lots of great bands from here STILL making the best music around..

Modest mouse, Beck, Pearl jam, Bob Dylan, Pumpkins, Pj Harvey... wait is she english?... *shrugs*
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    The Black Angels
    The Raconteurs
    Kings of Leon
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • not exactly new, but based on the bands you mentioned these might be new to you...

here's the cream of the crop:

strokes
    white stripes
    flaming lips
    queens of the stone age
    sleater-kinney
    Never liked SK
    Prefer Racontuers to WS,
    Queens are decent and cool PJ connection 1st album released on Loosegroove
    Strokes 3rd most overrated band of last decade( Raiohead and Coldplay 1&2)
    but i may need to grab me up some Flaming Lips, i like what i've heard of theirs so far.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    yep yep

and not new, but great:
    Drive-By Truckers
    I'll gladly second this one.............great band!!!!
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Never liked SK
    Prefer Racontuers to WS,
    but i may need to grab me up some Flaming Lips, i like what i've heard of theirs so far.

aren't you pleasant
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    sleater-kinney
    Cream of the crop?? Yes, but they are now no longer with us........as an active band. :(
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • aren't you pleasant
    Just opinionated, not intending to be mean but i take my msuic seriously and am passionate about it.
  • i would also add the band Modest Mouse to my list above.
  • DavanitaDavanita Posts: 854
    aren't you pleasant

i totally agree with PilatesBetterman.
    Jon Stewart: "[about Russia's new president]...Dmitri Medevvvevv.... Dmitri Meh..... Dmitri M.! Or... as George W. Bush would probably pronounce it... Eddie Vedder."

Uhuh ... and i am sure you are the only one who takes their music seriously around here. what are the chances that other people on a pearl jam message board are not passionate about the music they listen to? If you have some big fucking secret band, then let's hear about.
  • Uhuh ... and i am sure you are the only one who takes their music seriously around here. what are the chances that other people on a pearl jam message board are not passionate about the musics they listen to? If you have some big fucking secret band, then let's hear about.
    Already poste KoL and SR, I find that it's hard to find anything REALLy good out there anymore, perhaps I was spoiled listening to Clapton since birth, I mean fuck 99% of what i hear pass as a solo or riff is absolute gargbage or stolen, and when i do find a band that's decent they go and release a 2nd album that sux balls. (case in point Sugar Ray- Lemonade and Brownies blew me away so i was stoked for Floored and wanted to cut my heart out with a spoon when i heard it)
    Most people are too influenced by the media(including the Message Pit). They form uninformed opinions and b/c "so-and-so said" this music is good or bad or whatever. I have especially noticed this with Avacado. If the next PJ album is anything like it I will NEVER support this band with my $ again, my perogative my choice. Yet here you'd think that Pearl Jam had fucking relaesed their "White Album" not even fucking close.
    Avacado is probably the weakest album they've released to date. Is it a folk album? Is it Punk? where's the cohesion? The songs are great but the album SUX.
  • BeBeBeBe Posts: 229
    Never liked SK
    Prefer Racontuers to WS,

I agree with all this!!!
    Flaming Lips are fantastic!!
    Where is Lowlight?
  • Already poste KoL and SR, I find that it's hard to find anything REALLy good out there anymore, perhaps I was spoiled listening to Clapton since birth, I mean fuck 99% of what i hear pass as a solo or riff is absolute gargbage or stolen, and when i do find a band that's decent they go and release a 2nd album that sux balls. (case in point Sugar Ray- Lemonade and Brownies blew me away so i was stoked for Floored and wanted to cut my heart out with a spoon when i heard it)
    Most people are too influenced by the media(including the Message Pit). They form uninformed opinions and b/c "so-and-so said" this music is good or bad or whatever. I have especially noticed this with Avacado. If the next PJ album is anything like it I will NEVER support this band with my $ again, my perogative my choice. Yet here you'd think that Pearl Jam had fucking relaesed their "White Album" not even fucking close.
    Avacado is probably the weakest album they've released to date. Is it a folk album? Is it Punk? where's the cohesion? The songs are great but the album SUX.

To each his own, I guess. I personally think you would be hard-pressed to find better recent bands than the ones I mention, but maybe I am just brainwashed by "the media." Afterall I have only listened to these bands' albums hundreds upon hundreds of times. For the record, I think the new PJ album is a masterpiece and the most cohesive album they have put out since Ten.

That's all I am going to say about any of this. I know from experience that these kinds of conversations never go anywhere.
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Centro-matic
    The Drams
    Drive-By Truckers (already mentioned & I totally agree)
    Magnolia Electric Co.
    Elope (Swedish but you should check them out)
    Circle (Finnish but you should check them out)
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • To each his own, I guess. I personally think you would be hard-pressed to find better recent bands than the ones I mention, but maybe I am just brainwashed by "the media." Afterall I have only listened to these bands' albums hundreds upon hundreds of times. For the record, I think the new PJ album is a masterpiece and the most cohesive album they have put out since Ten.

That's all I am going to say about any of this. I know from experience that these kinds of conversations never go anywhere.
    I concur that the songs are great, but where is the "theme" the common thing that brings the songs together as an album.
    Ten: Anger, angst and confusion from childhood
    VS: Anger and rage about society and what it demands
    Vitalogy: Confusion and being "lost"
    No Code: Finding and defining personal identity
    Yield: Comfort and solace in who one really is
    Binaural: Exploring and expanding the spriritual side of being a person
    Riot Act: Exploring the Darkside of that same person
    Pearl Jam: ???????

Debate and the exchange of ideas are what help people see different perspectives. As long as it doesn;t get personal I don't see why it should go no where
  • Pearl Jam: A nation at war with the world, at war with each other, at war with themselves. Notice the common theme of falling, sleeplessness, and ultimately trying to escape.
  • Pearl Jam: A nation at war with the world, at war with each other, at war with themselves. Notice the common theme of falling, sleeplessness, and ultimately trying to escape.
    I will listen for it. and I do appreciate that you are willing to discuss rather than expecting me to draw you into some childish shit
  • I will listen for it. and I do appreciate that you are willing to discuss rather than expecting me to draw you into some childish shit

discussing thematic stuff is usually somewhat productive, but when comes to issues of individual taste that, my friend, is a dead end street.