Since when did Chris Cornell open for Linkin Park!?

2»

Comments

• South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    amit wrote:
    yeah tonadax gets my idea!

Whether or not LP suck is another topic. But while I'm at it. They sooo are
    manufactured. All their songs have that typical 3 minute commercial structure. They are so formulaic, in other words lazy.

every song is like, verse, chorsus, verse, chorus, bridge (just a slight chord variation with more screaming,) chorus.

Almost every song!. Is that not manufactured. Where is the freedom. Where is the personal musical challenge in that!

Actually you just described Nirvana as well :)

They were a pretty OK band huh? :D
    NERDS!
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    Yeah thought it was strange too. But he will probably do a show on his own at least i'm hoping.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    pretty bad really saw him opening for them in australia also.... strange move.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • amitamit Posts: 73
    nirvana were nothing like that
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    amit wrote:
    nirvana were nothing like that

hate to disagree but nirvana was exactly that. 3-4 minute songs that were highly structured...verse chorus verse chorus bridge... if only they had a song that refelected that...what would they call it? hmmm ;)
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    "yeah tonadax gets my idea!

Whether or not LP suck is another topic. But while I'm at it. They sooo are
    manufactured. All their songs have that typical 3 minute commercial structure. They are so formulaic, in other words lazy.

every song is like, verse, chorsus, verse, chorus, bridge (just a slight chord variation with more screaming,) chorus.

Almost every song!. Is that not manufactured. Where is the freedom. Where is the personal musical challenge in that!"

I'm not sure about Nirvana being like that but you could definately say that Audioslave applied that same structure...

Be Yourself
    Like A Stone
    Yesterday To Tomorrow
    Dandelion
    Show Me How To Live
    Original Fire
    Revelations
    Doesen't Remind Me
    Your Time Has Come
    One And The Same

I could go on. Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Solo, Chorus

Still damn good songs though.
  • bayleafbayleaf Posts: 128
    amit wrote:
    I just gotta rant about this because I hate Linkin Park.

Chris Cornell is going to be opening for Linkin Park when they come over to NZ later this year. WTF?!! It should be the other way around!. In that case, they don't even deserve to open for him. THE NERVE OF THOSE WANNABES!!!!!!!

Argh..

You hate Linkin Park, what a coincidence, I hate you aswell.

Well, no I don't hate you. I just wish everyone would stop being so childish over such a thing like this. You don't like them, SO WHAT, some people do. Chris Cornell is opening, SO WHAT, how does it effect you ?
    ~*~*~*~*~*OFFICIAL KIWI JAMMER No 6*~*~*~*~*~
  • webberf1 wrote:
    wait a minute, does this mean chris cornell is coming to Australia with Linkin Park?

yup....
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • When Chris comes to Australia and NewZeland we can only hope that he does a side show!

yeah like one or 2 in every city!!! pretty certain were not goin to get one in adelaide tho!! :(
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    chopitdown wrote:
    hate to disagree but nirvana was exactly that. 3-4 minute songs that were highly structured...verse chorus verse chorus bridge... if only they had a song that refelected that...what would they call it? hmmm ;)

Nevermind was but bleach? Incesticide? inutero? Not really but hey most bands are similar to that structure.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • its_okits_ok Posts: 200
    actually they arent manufactured at all and they have gone up the touring ladder they put in bout a good soild 2 years before they got big, i met them at one of there first shows here in nyc before they were big and they were the coolest people, it was one of the best shows i've ever seen.people only took note of them cause carson and fred durst were hyping them up

God damn you!!! I hade forgotten about Fred Durst
    PJ
    2000 Roskilde, 2006 Barcelona, 2007 London, Copenhagen, 2008 New York 1, New York 2, 2009 Berlin, 2010 Dublin, Belfast, 2012 Amsterdam 1, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, 2013 Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014 Milan, Trieste, Berlin, Stockholm, Milton Keynes

EV
    2012 Manchester, London 1, London 2
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    LongRd. wrote:
    didn't Jerry Cantrell open up for Creed afew years back?
    is he a sellout/loser too?

Jerry & Chris aren't famous for being solo acts like Neil Young, Lenny Kravitz, Bob Dylan, or even Kelly Clarkson. (sorry for putting Kelly in the same line as Neil & Bob.

If you were Chris' agents & record label reps, you would want him to play with a big crowd. It would probably save a load of advertisment money.
    regardless which band(s) is/are the headliner.

call it selling out or whatever you may, but @ the end of the day, it's still business. I'm not a huge fan of Linkin Park, but g-ddamn, I heard that "What I've Done" song every single f'ing time i drive to work. Still haven't any singles from Chris. If radio stations/music TV aren't playing your music, how would you promote it other than BIG music concerts/fest.
    Indeed, Jerry Cantrell was the opener for Creed on their 2002 Weathered tour. I went with my younger brother and we had a great time. He, like most everyone else in attendance, had no idea who Jerry was. He played a lot of AIC songs (with William Duvall on vocals for Layne's part). They play with big artists to get exposure. Like it or not, Chris Cornell is no longer a household name. Maybe it's just the fans who are pretentious?
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    Like it or not, Chris Cornell is no longer a household name. Maybe it's just the fans who are pretentious?

agreed

has it never occurred to the Cornell fanatics that he doesnt have the clout anymore to be a headline act... when was his last hit record critically or otherwise? when did he last do a sell-out tour of Europe?

and people saying he's a legend and so on and so forth remember that Pearl Jam have opened for bands before and probably will again... they opened for Tom Petty recently, and i think Tom Petty is shite... but the band realised that they were competing against an american legend, so they acquiesced the headline slot, just as they did for the Stones and for U2... all of those artists i dont think come near PJ in terms of songwriting and concert performance but i cant deny that they are BIGGER bands... records sales, concert attendences and the sheer fact that they have been around longer and played the game better than PJ means they'll be a BIGGER act.

Linkin Park are bigger than Cornell... thats the simple fact and one that some people seem unable to swallow?!

i love Kings of Leon but i know if i went to a festival in the states they'd come below fucking Fall Out Boy or Panic at the Disco or some other shite... i know they are better than them but i cant deny that the other 2 bands have become more "successful" which enables them the higher slot on the bill... thats the music business.. get over it
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    dunkman wrote:
    agreed

has it never occurred to the Cornell fanatics that he doesnt have the clout anymore to be a headline act... when was his last hit record critically or otherwise? when did he last do a sell-out tour of Europe?

and people saying he's a legend and so and so forth remember that Pearl Jam have opened for bands before and probably will again... they opened for Tom Petty recently, and i think Tom Petty is shite... but the band realised that they were competing against an american legend, so they acquiesced the headline slot, just as they did for the Stones and for U2... all of those artists i dont think come near PJ in terms of songwriting and concert performance but i cant deny that they are BIGGER bands... records sales, concert attendences and the sheer fact that they have been around longer and played the game better than PJ means they'll be a BIGGER act.

Linkin Park are bigger than Cornell... thats the simple fact and one that some people seem unable to swallow?!

i love Kings of Leon but i know if i went to a festival in the states they'd come below fucking Fall Out Boy or Panic at the Disco or some other shite... i know they are better than them but i cant deny that the other 2 bands have become more "successful" which enables them the higher slot on the bill... thats the music business.. get over it

Well said for a Scotsman ;)
    NERDS!