Since when did Chris Cornell open for Linkin Park!?

amitamit Posts: 73
edited July 2007 in Other Music
I just gotta rant about this because I hate Linkin Park.

Chris Cornell is going to be opening for Linkin Park when they come over to NZ later this year. WTF?!! It should be the other way around!. In that case, they don't even deserve to open for him. THE NERVE OF THOSE WANNABES!!!!!!!

Argh..
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I like Chris, but he's got some things/priorities mixed up these days.
  • im pretty devistated about this because i really want to see chris live, but i dont want my first concert of his to be a short 40min set opening for some crappy band....
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    because Linkin Park are a current entity.. Cornell only survives via a glorious past.

most headliners usually sell more records or achieve bigger concert attendances... and Linkin Park do both of those better than Cornell
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Cos Chris hasn't taken a dump this week yet, not that I've read about anyway !!

Face it dude, Linkin Park are BIGGER than Cornell. Soundgarden was 10 years ago. Half the kids at the concert won't have heard of him, and the other half will miss him cos they will be buying T-shirts and stocking up on Cheesles and Jaffas.

But that's OK, cos Chris is doing it for the art, the opposite of sell-out. It makes him pure, and he will go to heaven !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    But that's OK, cos Chris is doing it for the art, the opposite of sell-out. It makes him pure, and he will go to heaven !!

Sorry dude but that's fucking BS if you've heard his newest album you would know that he left art behind after euphoria morning
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    amit wrote:

Chris Cornell is going to be opening for Linkin Park when they come over to NZ later this year. WTF?!! It should be the other way around!. In that case, they don't even deserve to open for him. THE NERVE OF THOSE WANNABES!!!!!!!

Argh..
    You could go away after his set or just drink beer in the lounge area :)
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Well y'know maybe chris likes Linkin' Park. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean he is selling out.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Hybird Theroey = over ten million copies sold
    Minutes to Midnight, most recent album = number one on the charts

Cornells recent album = number 17 on the charts

Linkin Park, at their peak, were probably far more popular than Soundgarden and Audioslave at their peak. And they're certinally more popular than Chris Cornell solo.

I think Linkin Park are alright, and I'd certinally prefer to see Cornell headlining. But it's all about popularity. It makes sense = the band who's bigger, plays the longer set.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724

Tell that to the people that traveled to Denver to see him. I'm sure they don't think he was a sell-out for cancelling the show to do a private industry party for a Jeans company :rolleyes:
    NERDS!
  • im pretty devistated about this because i really want to see chris live, but i dont want my first concert of his to be a short 40min set opening for some crappy band....

same here! this is not what I've been hoping for. he better do his own shows while he is here!!! fingers crossed
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    Sorry dude but that's fucking BS if you've heard his newest album you would know that he left art behind after euphoria morning

Funny thing is that people called EM a sellout and the same with both Superunknown and Down on the Upside.
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    muppet wrote:
    Hybird Theroey = over ten million copies sold
    Minutes to Midnight, most recent album = number one on the charts

Cornells recent album = number 17 on the charts

Linkin Park, at their peak, were probably far more popular than Soundgarden and Audioslave at their peak. And they're certinally more popular than Chris Cornell solo.

I think Linkin Park are alright, and I'd certinally prefer to see Cornell headlining. But it's all about popularity. It makes sense = the band who's bigger, plays the longer set.
    No offense, but IMO Linkin Park sucks. But the quality, of lack there-of, in their music is not the issue here. I don't care about sales numbers, plenty of crap these days sells good. Means nothing. Sure, more tykes like them these days. Sure, they'll also open and probably have a longer set. But I don't count on linkin park ever having a song as iconic, epic, and well known as "Black Hole Sun". That's not even my fav SG song, but the point is, that song is etched into pop culture, along with tracks such as Smells Like Teen Spirit. Can't remember any of linkin park's crappy tracks being that big or popular.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    almost as retarded at linkin park playing with pearl jamat poland and them palying before pearl jam.. great ive seen linking park as many times as i have cornell..
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Maybe Linkin Park has a better "Street team?" :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    " No offense, but IMO Linkin Park sucks. But the quality, of lack there-of, in their music is not the issue here. I don't care about sales numbers, plenty of crap these days sells good. Means nothing. Sure, more tykes like them these days. Sure, they'll also open and probably have a longer set. But I don't count on linkin park ever having a song as iconic, epic, and well known as "Black Hole Sun". That's not even my fav SG song, but the point is, that song is etched into pop culture, along with tracks such as Smells Like Teen Spirit. Can't remember any of linkin park's crappy tracks being that big or popular."

This isn't an argument about whether Linkin Park are good or not. People are talking about why Cornell isn't headlining. To headline a festival, you'd assume that a band has to be pretty damn popular. And a good measure of popularity is sales numbers. I wasn't saying that the quality of Linkin Park should be based on how many albums they've sold. By that logic, Creed just as good as Pearl Jam. Yeah, it would be great if the most critically acclaimed artists got the headlining slot but a popular band is obviously going to draw a much bigger crowd.

I agree with you, I'd take Black Hole Sun over anything by Linkin Park any day. Although Hybird Theroey went Diamond so I wouldn't exactly call them unpopular.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    mrwalkerb wrote:

And ya wonder why people think YAnks are dumb feckers with no sense of humour !!

That was irony, dipstick !! In a post without a single molecule of seriousness !!

Sorry, I'l give you a drum roll next time, and some canned laughter to help you find the joke.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    This is fucking hilarious. What a loser Chris has become. Maybe Chris can open some shows for Nickelback next.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    didn't Jerry Cantrell open up for Creed afew years back?
    is he a sellout/loser too?

Jerry & Chris aren't famous for being solo acts like Neil Young, Lenny Kravitz, Bob Dylan, or even Kelly Clarkson. (sorry for putting Kelly in the same line as Neil & Bob.

If you were Chris' agents & record label reps, you would want him to play with a big crowd. It would probably save a load of advertisment money.
    regardless which band(s) is/are the headliner.

call it selling out or whatever you may, but @ the end of the day, it's still business. I'm not a huge fan of Linkin Park, but g-ddamn, I heard that "What I've Done" song every single f'ing time i drive to work. Still haven't any singles from Chris. If radio stations/music TV aren't playing your music, how would you promote it other than BIG music concerts/fest.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Matty Boy wrote:
    This is fucking hilarious. What a loser Chris has become. Maybe Chris can open some shows for Nickelback next.
    Linking Park is MUCH better than Nickelcrap.. IMO.
  • webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    wait a minute, does this mean chris cornell is coming to Australia with Linkin Park?
  • amitamit Posts: 73
    In a business sense, of course Chris should open.

But I just can't believe that he would go that low. Doesn't he have any self respect! The frontman of one of the best Grunge bands in history which was part of the 'Big Four', opening for a commercial pop-rock band!

Yeah I wouldn't mind leaving after his set, but my wallet would.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    i doubt he has a choice

its just one big business for the organizers

or

the organizer dont know who the fuck Chris Cornell is!
  • im with brisk,

its a business desicion, and if cc came out and said he turned down a slot opening for stinkin park, everyone would be bitchin that he was being big headed, and its not like he would sell out big oz venues on his own,. when was the last time he toured there? ten years ago? blah blah etc.

i have to point out that cc has played his own songs in europe, as well as opening for the aerosmith and doing live aid. so maybe he will do that in oz too.

just go see cornell and run away when stinkin park hit the stage. it will be pretty funny in a way coz cc will show up those no good lumpen nu metal boys for what they are: poo bags. i saw them support deftones, they hactually had the cheek to use loops and mimed the vocals,and i think beefed up guitar parts and stuff. then again, what do u expect from a band who never worked their way up the touring ladder, getting signed after their first ever gig. *cough* manufactured boy band rubbish *cough*
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    iwhat do u expect from a band who never worked their way up the touring ladder, getting signed after their first ever gig. *cough* manufactured boy band rubbish *cough*
    actually they arent manufactured at all and they have gone up the touring ladder they put in bout a good soild 2 years before they got big, i met them at one of there first shows here in nyc before they were big and they were the coolest people, it was one of the best shows i've ever seen.people only took note of them cause carson and fred durst were hyping them up
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Matty Boy wrote:

Like LongRd said, Jerry Cantrell opened for Nickelback (not Creed) for the release of one of his solo albums. Is he a loser too?
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
    amit wrote:

Argh..

Don't you know that Cornell used to rap Killing in the Name (see on Youtube). At one point he wanted to collaborate with Ja Rule when he was with Audioslave. That's why something fishy about this guy.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    bestsane wrote:
    Don't you know that Cornell used to rap Killing in the Name (see on Youtube). At one point he wanted to collaborate with Ja Rule when he was with Audioslave. That's why something fishy about this guy.

Linkin Park and Audioslave made similar music. Except one band did it a little better and sold more records.

And Linkin Park is not Pop-Rock :confused: people may not like them but come on. Pop-Rock is shit like Matchbox 20
    NERDS!
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    i think the real problem here aren´t the concert organisers or how popular are linkin park right now, the real problem it´s MR. CHRIS CORNELL, c´mon show your fuc... PRIDE. While LK members were using diapers in early 90´s
    you was the most powerful/talented voice at that time

i bet you have never watched MR. ROBERT PLANT opening for some creepy band through his solo career...
  • amitamit Posts: 73
    yeah tonadax gets my idea!

Whether or not LP suck is another topic. But while I'm at it. They sooo are
    manufactured. All their songs have that typical 3 minute commercial structure. They are so formulaic, in other words lazy.

every song is like, verse, chorsus, verse, chorus, bridge (just a slight chord variation with more screaming,) chorus.

Almost every song!. Is that not manufactured. Where is the freedom. Where is the personal musical challenge in that!
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    When Chris comes to Australia and NewZeland we can only hope that he does a side show!