Bass guitar players READ!!!

Velvet RopeVelvet Rope Posts: 22
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Ok, now. I just have one simple question: why are bass guitarists always set in the "back" of the show, almost NEVER get a solo in a song, and are just thought of as an accessorie? just someone please post to this and keep it going. Thanks.
"I believe everybody should have a room where they get rid of all their releases. So my room was a stage."
- Jimi Hendrix

"I thought I'd do something nice for the band... I'll hang myself."
- Jason Newsted, Metallica
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    Ok, now. I just have one simple question: why are bass guitarists always set in the "back" of the show, almost NEVER get a solo in a song, and are just thought of as an accessorie? just someone please post to this and keep it going. Thanks.
    not the case in primus...les claypool owns!!!
  • bluemonkey wrote:

Quite true... but look at everyone else? name 5 bass players from famous bands (dont google) lol
    "I believe everybody should have a room where they get rid of all their releases. So my room was a stage."
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Señor BoSeñor Bo Posts: 68
    Quite true... but look at everyone else? name 5 bass players from famous bands (dont google) lol

Jeff Ament
    John Paul Jones
    John Entwistle
    Robert Trujillo
    Nikki Sixx
    I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month.
  • Hmm, well, i got my ass handed to me on that one, but just answer the question, why are they always in the back, almost never a bass solo in a song, and bass guitarists arent very well known?
    - Jimi Hendrix

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I'd say Less Claypool, and Geddy Lee (Rush) Get lots of attention. I know what you mean though, it's like at shows (especially on the lawn looking at the video screens) or on dvds the bass players are not really focused on much. Seems like Jeff Ament is focused on quite a bit, but on SNL 2006, he was completely hidden for both songs almost.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Flea
    Krist Novoselic
    Jason Newsted
    John Paul Jones
    Jeff Ament
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    as far as being in the back(if you're refering to the physical sense): if you want to be good at bass you NEED to play with the drummer. so you can't be up front with the other guitars and singer 100 percent of the time because you need to keep an eye on the drummer's motions to keep in time with him.

i also think John Entwhistle invented the trend of the bass player to be the stoic but boring guy in the band.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    well, it is inherent in the nature of the bass. It keeps thje beat and provides a basic melodic phrasing. It wasn't designed as an instrument for the forefront. Some people do this but it is more the exception than the rule

Flea
    Krist Novoselic
    Jason Newsted
    John Paul Jones
    Jeff Ament

thing is the guitarists are still higher up in those bands when it comes to exposure( except maybe flea but who cares about them anyways)
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Flea has practically re-invented bass playing, and Guy Pratt had his part of the solo on Money (DSOT)
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Flea has practically re-invented bass playing

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one, mmkay?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    bluemonkey wrote:

say that again!!!

Les Claypool is the best basist ever.
    I BrisK I wrote:
    say that again!!!

Les Claypool is the best basist ever.

Creative as hell, and I love Primus, but best ever? Eh...
  • there are loads of bassists that are not simply stood at the back

new order - peter hook practically plays lead guitar on the bass, he roams all over the stage and new order tunes have loads of great bass solos

rhcp - flea is incredible. stood around at the back? i think not.

even trujillo as metallica's new guy is not at the back.
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    PAUL MCCARTNEY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh and sting.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Just some good bass tunes to check out:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2imdug
  • I see your point, but WHY is the question, I mean in my band im the bassist and the singer and I can play some mean ass solos. I just dont think bassists ge tthe recognition the deserve.
    - Jimi Hendrix

• prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Any Metallica bassist gets a 5 minute solo every show.

Cliff motherfuckin' Burton is a bass god. So is Steve Harris from Iron Maiden.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066

Geddy Lee, Steve Harris and Entwistle all you need to know.

Toss in Lynott and Ament just for the last two.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    THe idea of a bassplayer "in theory" is to hold down the bottom back beat with the drummer. There are amazing bass players out there that tuck in the back corner. Watch footage of John Entwistle he stands there ripping as Moon/Townsend smash stuff.

players like Flea for example showed the bass could be more a melodic/front instrument when attached to a vibrant player.

There are some amazing bass players that stand like statues and others that are right up with the guitar players wailing.
  • I can't believe nobody has mentioned Tony Levin or Chris Squire who more than thirty years ago with Yes laid down long intricate melodic bass solos and basscentric songwriting.And any who has seen Peter Gabriel live know that Tony Levins bass is often the focus and drive of almost every song.Catch Tony Levin with his solo band on tour now and you will be blown away.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Phil Lesh - Just as integral to the Deads sound as Garcia, and never content to play a standard bass line.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • ToolgardenToolgarden Posts: 88
    Though nobody in Tool jump around and act all crazy really, their bassist Justin Chancellor is often in the forefront of the music and always right in front during shows. In fact, Justin does a lot of the traditional soloing on the albums while Adam keeps time on guitar, even though its usually a different time than anyone else is playing.

ok
    "Should I tell you my room is walled up? In what way might I leave it? Here is how; Goodwill knows no obstacle. Nothing can stand before a deep desire. All I have to do is imagine a door." -Schultz

Trading stories with the leaves instead
  • danny72688 wrote:
    Any Metallica bassist gets a 5 minute solo every show.

Cliff motherfuckin' Burton is a bass god. So is Steve Harris from Iron Maiden.

Right on.
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Hmm, well, i got my ass handed to me on that one, but just answer the question, why are they always in the back, almost never a bass solo in a song, and bass guitarists arent very well known?

The reason why is because they are the rhythm, so they usually like to hang around by the drummer. Bass + Drums = tight rhythm!
    "Propaganda is to a democracy what a bludgeon is to a totalitarian state."
    -Noam Chomsky
  • Leon Wilkeson of Skynyrd was a damn good bassist and pretty well-known by the southern rock crowd. I also agree with others on Ament, Flea, Phil Lesh, Mccartney (althought known more for his singing/songwriting I'd say). Roger Waters is great bassist as well although I know he is also more known for his songwriting, he is still a terrific bass player.
  • Oh yeah I forgot Family Man (The Wailers), Bootsy Collins, Eric Avery, and possibly my favorite bassist of all time Jaco Pastorius. There are a lot of great bass players out there and yeah they don't generally get too much attention but that's not what music is about anyways.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Flea.

The man's a legend..

and Timmy from RATM, Battle of Los Angeles is an amazing album for bass...

And listen to ANY smiths record...Rourke is incredible...
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
    Oh yeah I forgot Family Man (The Wailers), Bootsy Collins, Eric Avery, and possibly my favorite bassist of all time Jaco Pastorius. There are a lot of great bass players out there and yeah they don't generally get too much attention but that's not what music is about anyways.

Jaco is in another league.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    BinFrog wrote:
    Jaco is in another league.

Damn straight.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • ChillimanChilliman Posts: 18
    Simple, the bass is the instrument that requires the least skill to play, there really just guitarist who couldn't make it!

Limp Biscuit Rule!!!