Wilco - New album news!!!!!!

2»

Comments

• AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    dirt wrote:
    Just curious, did you pre-order from Wilco's site or some online vinyl dealer? And if the latter, who do you prefer to buy your records from?

I use Music Direct (out of Chicago) -- they always have a great selection and super good service.

I love what I've heard from the new so far...trying hard to refrain from hearing it all prior to the release....I am weird that way, I guess.
    I also ordered from Wilcoworld. I believe they also send the CD for free when you order the vinyl, which is nice.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    soclose wrote:
    So far I'm not quite loving the new album, but I broke down and preordered the Vinyl LP yesterday. The music may not be the best ever, but I do love the cover art.

im with you on that. it's a solid album, but not really impressive to me. i can't really see myself reaching to listen to it over other albums.
  • JUN-13 DAVENPORT, IA ADLER THEATER
    JUN-15 INDIANAPOLIS, IN MURAT THEATER TBA
    JUN-17 MANCHESTER, TN BONNAROO INFO
    JUN-19 ATLANTA, GA CHASTAIN PARK AMPHITHEATRE tba
    JUN-20 CHARLOTTE, NC OVENS AUDITORIUM tba
    JUN-22 RED BANK, NJ COUNT BASIE THEATER
    JUN-24 NORTHAMPTON, MA THE PINES
    JUN-25 NEW YORK, NY HAMMERSTEIN BALLROOM
    JUN-28 BOSTON, MA BANK OF AMERICA PAVILION
    JUN-29 SHELBURNE, VT THE GREEN AT SHELBURNE MUSEUM
    JUN-30 TORONTO, ONT MASSEY HALL
    8/9/92 Jones Beach, 10/2/96 Hartford, 9/8/98 E. Rutherford, 9/1/00 Camden, 7/5/03 Camden, 7/9/03 MSG, 7/14/03 PNC, 10/1/04 Reading, 9/30/05 Borgata, 10/1/05 Borgata, 10/3/05 Philly, 5/27/06 Camden, 6/1/06 E. Rutherford, 6/3/06 E. Rutherford, 6/20/08 Camden, 6/24/08 MSG, 6/25/08 MSG, 8/7/08 EV@NJPAC, 10/30/09 Spectrum, 10/31/09 Spectrum, 5/18/10 Newark
    Where are the Chicago dates???

Just kidding, I know we'll get a bunch. Hopefully Lolla again, or maybe the Taste...
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    dirt wrote:
    Just curious, did you pre-order from Wilco's site or some online vinyl dealer? And if the latter, who do you prefer to buy your records from?

I use Music Direct (out of Chicago) -- they always have a great selection and super good service.

I love what I've heard from the new so far...trying hard to refrain from hearing it all prior to the release....I am weird that way, I guess.

This doesn't have anything to do with Wilco...but yes...Music Direct is awesome. I get most of my vinyl from there.
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    I also ordered from Wilcoworld. I believe they also send the CD for free when you order the vinyl, which is nice.

Yeah, I think that's how the first run of of the new Wilco version of vinyl will ship regardless of where you buy. Pretty cool to get both in one shot!
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228

I am there.

Chastain is a great location. It is an outside amphitheatre set on a hill. you can bring your own beer. It tends to draw a bit of a stuffy crowd though. Lots of cheese and wine fans who have season tickets to all the shows. ticket prices are usually jacked up because of this.

Well thanks to PJ not touring the south and Wilco touring ALL the time EVERYWHERE this show i will officially have seen more wilco shows then PJ shows.

I'm excited :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    intodeep wrote:
    I am there.

Chastain is a great location. It is an outside amphitheatre set on a hill. you can bring your own beer. It tends to draw a bit of a stuffy crowd though. Lots of cheese and wine fans who have season tickets to all the shows. ticket prices are usually jacked up because of this.

Well thanks to PJ not touring the south and Wilco touring ALL the time EVERYWHERE this show i will officially have seen more wilco shows then PJ shows.

I'm excited :D

I understand from reading on the Via Chicago boards that the show @ Chastain is not part of the summer series this year. So it stands to reason that the infamously rude patrons will not be seated at tables directly in front of the stage, nor will the tables even be there.

Good news for those of us planning to make it to the concert in Atlanta in June!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Pre sale on the 11th!
    Cock Fight.
  • JUN-13 DAVENPORT, IA ADLER THEATER
    JUN-15 INDIANAPOLIS, IN MURAT THEATER TBA
    JUN-17 MANCHESTER, TN BONNAROO INFO
    JUN-20 CHARLOTTE, NC OVENS AUDITORIUM tba
    JUN-22 RED BANK, NJ COUNT BASIE THEATER
    JUN-24 NORTHAMPTON, MA THE PINES
    JUN-25 NEW YORK, NY HAMMERSTEIN BALLROOM
    JUN-28 BOSTON, MA BANK OF AMERICA PAVILION
    JUN-29 SHELBURNE, VT THE GREEN AT SHELBURNE MUSEUM
    JUN-30 TORONTO, ONT MASSEY HALL

Where is Red Bank, NJ in relation to DE?? I got into Wilco this past year, bought all their stuff, and now I just need to see them in concert. Please PM me if anyone knows..hopefully southern NJ
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Where is Red Bank, NJ in relation to DE?? I got into Wilco this past year, bought all their stuff, and now I just need to see them in concert. Please PM me if anyone knows..hopefully southern NJ

Looks a bit like Central Jersey:

Count Basie Theatre
    99 Monmouth Street
    Red Bank, NJ 07701

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=99+monmouth+st&city=red+bank&state=nj&zipcode=07701

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
    I scored a couple tickets to the Atlatna show :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Wilco puts me to sleep. Totally overated band.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Wilco puts me to sleep. Totally overated band.

Try seeing them live. I guarantee they'll knock you on your ass.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Try seeing them live. I guarantee they'll knock you on your ass.

i doubt that. honestly, i like kicking television, but they're not a mind-blowing live band. their set at lolla was good, but nowhere near a highlight for me. they don't exactly rock out more live than they do on the albums, so if the albums are putting him to sleep i rather doubt seeing them in concert is going to change his mind.
    i doubt that. honestly, i like kicking television, but they're not a mind-blowing live band. their set at lolla was good, but nowhere near a highlight for me. they don't exactly rock out more live than they do on the albums, so if the albums are putting him to sleep i rather doubt seeing them in concert is going to change his mind.

wilco's strength is good lyrics and solid melody.

They don't really rock out. I love them for what they are good at and i personally think they are one of the better live acts around. i've always loved their shows (seen 3 of them)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    wilco's strength is good lyrics and solid melody.

They don't really rock out. I love them for what they are good at and i personally think they are one of the better live acts around. i've always loved their shows (seen 3 of them)

that's my point though. i doubt the live show is going to change this guy's mind. it's not like pearl jam where you can hear the album and think "eh" then go to the show and be blown away by the energy and crowd interaction and everything else. wilco gets up there, does their thing, plays well, and that's that. if you like their albums, you'll love them live. if you don't, i don't think a show is going to change your mind.
    that's my point though. i doubt the live show is going to change this guy's mind. it's not like pearl jam where you can hear the album and think "eh" then go to the show and be blown away by the energy and crowd interaction and everything else. wilco gets up there, does their thing, plays well, and that's that. if you like their albums, you'll love them live. if you don't, i don't think a show is going to change your mind.

I agree with the concept of what you are saying, but i only owned Yankee Hotel Foxtrot the first time i saw them. By the end of hte show i was blown away at how good they were (at least in my opinion) to thepoint that i liked the YHF songs even more and i went out and purchased two other of their albums the next day.

for me seeing them live was the reason for me going from a fan to them being one of my favorite bands ever.

so i do think seeing them live can make a difference.

Espcially with this line up because Nels I think is going to have a lot more freedom on this tour with the new songs to explore and that is always a good thing :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    There's a Wilco interview in the new Rolling Stone that says that part of the concept behind their new album was "songs you can put in your pocket" - getting away from the technological layers like drum machines, etc. - songs that can be stripped down to their most basic structure. I have to believe that means that the new stuff will translate brilliantly live - sounds like it was written to be toured.

FWIW, I think they are a phenomenal live act. Even Tweedy solo manages to generate a ton of energy, tension, emotion. Go see them if you get the chance.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I missed the Toronto Presale :(

I had to work and they limit our browsing abilities. Damn you work.
    Cock Fight.
  • I'm a pretty big Wilco fan. I'm not totally sold on all the new songs yet, but I do like the stripped down production. I feel that they went about as far as they could with the ambient noise style rockers/ballads. I know Jeff likes that stuff, hanging out with Jim O'Rourke and Jay Bennett would have that effect on a person I guess. *laughs*

This record seems like Tweedy's "househusband" album. The lyrics are a little pedestrian compared to the last two albums, and I feel like this record needs a "shot in the arm," so to speak. Perhaps a rocking version of "Is That The Thanks I Get?" could have helped, but that's just my $.02. Great album cover, though. ;-)

Jeff Tweedy solo and Wilco are well worth a ticket if you like sort of mellower or esoteric stuff. However, I can't see every Pearl Jam fan lining up to join the Wilco bandwagon. They're quite different from each other.
  • I got tickets to the davenport Iowa show the other day. Anybody else here going there? Pretty cool I ccan drive 45 minutes to Davenport instead of 2 hours to Chi-town to see a good show for a change.
    i saw the whole band at o'hare when i was dropping my gf off at the airport the other day. i should have gone to speak to them but their families were there and i figured they'd prefer to be left alone. i don't think anyone recognized them. it was cool. i was walking by starbucks and suddenly stopped talking and was staring and my gf couldnt figure out what was going on. im like "i think that's jeff tweedy buying coffee over there..."
  • i saw the whole band at o'hare when i was dropping my gf off at the airport the other day. i should have gone to speak to them but their families were there and i figured they'd prefer to be left alone. i don't think anyone recognized them. it was cool. i was walking by starbucks and suddenly stopped talking and was staring and my gf couldnt figure out what was going on. im like "i think that's jeff tweedy buying coffee over there..."

I always wondered what I would do in that situation. I briefly said hello to mike at Summerfest......he was heading in to get ready for the show so he didn't have time to talk though.

If i see Tweedy in Davenport i'll probably bring up the fact that the adler theater is where cary grant died in the 80's......

I'm still sort of amazed a good band is playing there. Its a really cool theater, but usually its just lord of the dance and seasame street or something. Kudos to Wilco for touring some out of the way spots.