My favourite bands - Point Me In Some New Directions

Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Here are the bands i'm into these days....i'd love to get some opinions (based on what you can distill from this information re. my taste in music) on what bands (or singer/songwriters) I should check out next. I know there are other people on this board with similar tastes - lets all help each other out. I LOVE music and would appreciate getting pointed in some new directions.....

* Broken Social Scene
* Arcade Fire
* Metric
* Bloc Party
* Interpol
* Sonic Youth
* Sebadoh
* Pavement
* the Shins
* Lemonheads
* Dinosaur Jr
* Slowdive/Mojave 3
* My Bloody Valentine
* Spiritualized
* Stars
* Wilco
* Eric's Trip
* Sarah Harmer
* Flaming Lips
* the Dandy Warhols
* Mogwai
* Godspeed You Black Emperor
* Sigur Ros
* the Cure
* Stereolab
* Ween
* Editors
* Doves
* Mercury Rev

....sorry thats so long (I could keep going)
In my world everyone is a pony,
and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Try this website:
    http://www.pandora.com/
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    cutback wrote:
    Try this website:

Sounds interesting - i'll check it out when I get home from work
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Singer Songwriters:

M. Ward
    Eric Bachmann
    The Mountain Goats

Bands: (due to your GYBE/Mogwai reference)

Pelican
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    The Mountain Goats
    Strapping Young Lad
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Pelican
    Isis
    The Mars Volta
    Dredg
    Peeping Tom
  • You must REALLY like Wilco, you've got them twice.

How about Local H, ever checked out any of their stuff?
    You must REALLY like Wilco, you've got them twice.

How about Local H, ever checked out any of their stuff?

OOPS - they (Wilco) are just that damn good

never heard Local H - heard of them, thats about it

a couple Mountain Goats mentions - never heard of them except for on this board - i will definitely check them out

Pelican - posts about them on other threads had already peaked my curiosity

LOVE Peeping Tom - Mike Patton is a genius (FNM, Mr Bungle, Lovage - all amazing)
  • Yeah Local H I didn't think of, but I guess it's because they're not so new. But they got some good stuff for sure.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    cutback wrote:
    Try this website:
    Good recommendation...Pandora is terrific. You can set up different listening "stations" according to any particular music taste.

Wish I'd thought of that concept!
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Here are the first five that came to mind...

Rilo Kiley
    The Decemberists
    The Dears
    Earlimart
    Elefant
    Here are the first five that came to mind...

Rilo Kiley
    The Decemberists
    The Dears
    Earlimart
    Elefant

Not including the Dears on my list was a major oversight on my part - can'twait for their new album

Rilo Kiley and Earlimart I know from Six Feet Under (the TV show) - loved the show and downloaded alot of the music I heard on the epsisodes...i liked their songs alot but havent explored them any further

the Decemberists come up here alot.....where do i start with them
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Echoes wrote:
    Strapping Young Lad

They're fucking nuts.
    And from what I've heard, nothing like the other bands he's listed....but I guess he's asking for a dif. direction.
  • Todd76 wrote:
    the Decemberists come up here alot.....where do i start with them

I would check out "Picaresque". They have a new one coming out in October that's already on the net called "The Crane Wife". If you like that then go back and check out their earlier stuff but if I had to pick one right now I'd go with Picaresque.
  • caifan82caifan82 Posts: 321
    I would recommend:

The Gathering (http://www.gathering.nl) from Holland
    Anathema (http://www.anathema.ws) from England.

Check them out! Both sites have mp3 samples.
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Sylvie http://www.sylviemusic.com http://www.myspace.com/sylviemusic

Don't worry bud, it's not the 'wank rock' we so often argue about :D This is something you'd probably dig based on your interests.

Hope you enjoy! "Hit and Run" is a fav of mine.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    This is where I find lots of new bands ...

http://www.r5productions.com/shows.html
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Black Keys and Kings of Leon come to mind immediately.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    MCG wrote:
    Sylvie http://www.sylviemusic.com http://www.myspace.com/sylviemusic

Don't worry bud, it's not the 'wank rock' we so often argue about :D This is something you'd probably dig based on your interests.

Hope you enjoy! "Hit and Run" is a fav of mine.

So I checked out Sylvie on myspace....figured I owed to you. Sounds good - didnt blow me away (but the best stuff often doesnt right away). Liked "Rise And Fall" and "What You Find" the best (atually liked "Hit and Run" the least - not crazy about the guys vocals....like the girls though)
    Echoes wrote:
    The Mountain Goats
    Strapping Young Lad

The Mountain Goats ... any album in particular
    transplant wrote:
    Singer Songwriters:

M. Ward
    Eric Bachmann
    The Mountain Goats

Bands: (due to your GYBE/Mogwai reference)

Pelican

Mountain Goats and Pelican....can you recommend albums to start with
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Todd76 wrote:
    The Mountain Goats ... any album in particular

Oh god, dude has like so many.

Try "All Hail West Texas" or " Tallahassee" or "We Shall All B ehealed" or "Zopilote Machine"
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Todd76 wrote:
    Mountain Goats and Pelican....can you recommend albums to start with
    Mountain Goats - Tallahassee. I'd check out No Children, Old College Try, Alpha Rats Nest first.

Pelican - the Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw
    Todd76 wrote:
    So I checked out Sylvie on myspace....figured I owed to you. Sounds good - didnt blow me away (but the best stuff often doesnt right away). Liked "Rise And Fall" and "What You Find" the best (atually liked "Hit and Run" the least - not crazy about the guys vocals....like the girls though)

:D well you certanly didn't owe me anything for disagreeing with my opinions, that you get for free. All these songs are from their last album and are much better live. I'm really digging their new stuff (to be released next year), they do play Toronto quite often when they tour, I think they were most recently at the NxNW thing. Check them out live when they tour next if you can.
    Which came first,
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Dredg- I know somone already said them, but they are worth saying again. I suggest EL Cielo, but Catch Without Arms may be easier to get into.

And You Will Know us By the Trail of the Dead- Source Tags & Codes is the album to get trust me on this one i think you would dig them based on yoru taste. Relative Ways is a good song if you want to get a taste of them. Don't be thrown off by the name they are not a metal band or anything like that.

Built to Spill- The second coming of J Mascis on guitar is Doug From built to spill. Doug is a little more melodic then J was espcially his early dino stuff, but still great indie guitar solo's. The live album gives you a nice sample, but Perfect From Now on is the way to go if you want a studio album

Modest Mouse- These guys really are cool. I suggest Oh Lonesome Crowded West. Doin the cockaroach seems very popular from this album if you want to check out a song.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Dredg- I know somone already said them, but they are worth saying again. I suggest EL Cielo, but Catch Without Arms may be easier to get into.

And You Will Know us By the Trail of the Dead- Source Tags & Codes is the album to get trust me on this one i think you would dig them based on yoru taste. Relative Ways is a good song if you want to get a taste of them. Don't be thrown off by the name they are not a metal band or anything like that.

Built to Spill- The second coming of J Mascis on guitar is Doug From built to spill. Doug is a little more melodic then J was espcially his early dino stuff, but still great indie guitar solo's. The live album gives you a nice sample, but Perfect From Now on is the way to go if you want a studio album

Modest Mouse- These guys really are cool. I suggest Oh Lonesome Crowded West. Doin the cockaroach seems very popular from this album if you want to check out a song.

good suggestions - based on what i've heard/read Trail of Dead, Built To Spill and Modest Mouse are all bands that i've meant to check out.....thanks for the specifics - its good to know where to start....so much good music, so little time

compiling a list: the Mountain Goats, Pelican, Isis, Modest Mouse, Built To Spill, the Decemberists, And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead, Kings Of Leon, Black Keys, Rilo Kiley.....not too shabby - just have to decide which bank to rob or hope for a lottery win (although X-Mas is coming - nothing better than a stocking stuffed with CD's)
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Sticking with your Canadian theme, here are a few singer/songwriters you might want to check out:

Kathleen Edwards (Great songs, whip-smart lyrics, and a dirty mouth. What's not to love?)

Joel Plaskett (his album "La De Da" is one of my favorite records of the last 10 years)

Greg Macpherson (love this guy. Acoustic punk-rock with poetic working class Springsteen-esque lyrics, and one of the most unique singing voices you'll ever hear)

Ron Hawkins (One of Canada's most prolific and underrated songwriters. Whether he's with the Lowest of the Low, solo, or with his Rusty Nails project, this guy can do no wrong. He has a new solo album coming out fairly soon. Check him out!)

Chris Brown & Kate Fenner (also check out Kate's solo album "Horses & Burning Cars". That woman can sing me to sleep anytime she wants)

Ron Sexsmith (no explanation needed. I swear this dude writes melodies in his sleep)

And now for some bands:

The Weakerthans (my favorite Canadian indie band, and the only punk-rock/power pop/alt-country folk band I know of. John K. Samson gives Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, and Gordon Downie a run for their money as one of the greatest lyricist/songwriters this country has ever produced. It's been 3 years since their last album "Reconstruction Site", and I'm still waiting for a follow-up, but I have no doubt it will be brilliant as always.

Cuff the Duke (seamlessly mixing rock, pop, and alt-country into a deliciously original stew. Check out their 2nd self-titled album. It's good stuff.

C'Mon (the latest project from Toronto indie-rock guru Ian Blurton. It's loud, it's heavy, it's stubbornly old-school, and it'll kick your ass. This band makes Woflmother look like a bunch of sissies.

The Hugh Dillon Redemption Choir (let me start by saying that Hugh's new band sounds NOTHING like his old band, the Headstones. This is easily the coolest and most diverse thing he's ever done, and proves once and for all that the dude is a talented songwriter with a knack for writing great hooks that jam their little barbs into your head and refuse to let go.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Kathleen Edwards (Great songs, whip-smart lyrics, and a dirty mouth. What's not to love?)

I am fairly positive she opened for My Morning Jacket when i saw them and she was enjoyable even though i had never heard anything by her before.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • GeorgeinNYGeorgeinNY Posts: 113
    check out the NPR music pages many of the bands you mention are the bands they feature, including complete live concerts archives.

http://www.npr.org/templates/topics/topic.php?topicId=1039

Dont laugh but the free paper here in NYC, Metro is a good source to read about new bands http://ny.metro.us/metro/entertainment/
    Have you checked out Wintersleep yet? http://www.wintersleep.com
    Which came first,