Best Misheard Lyrics

boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Somebody had some pretty humorous misheard lyrics over on another thread of a PJ song and this got me thinking about this topic. I have always been pretty good at picking up on lyrics but my wife is horrible. My favorite one of hers is the old Asia classic, "Heat of the Moment."

My wife for years thought they were saying

"He loving woman"

What's the best/worst misheard lyrics you've ever heard?
one foot in the door
the other foot in the gutter
sweet smell that they adore
I think I'd rather smother
-The Replacements-
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    When I was little, I thought Paul was yelling "That puppy love" rather than "Can't Buy Me Love." lol
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    Mike Mccready thought the line in a Kiss song was "Rock all night and part of everyday"
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • Brian Setzer's "Jump, Jive & Wail" always sounds like "you gotta drunk drive & then you wail"
  • Brian Setzer's "Jump, Jive & Wail" always sounds like "you gotta drunk drive & then you wail"

That actually makes sense.....especially if you get pulled over for DUI.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • Clifwith1fClifwith1f Posts: 143
    My mom thought "There's a bad moon on the rise" was: "there's a bathroom on the right"
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    i know someone who thought that on leash pearl jam were singing japanese, japanese... get out of my fucking face!

i have always prefered the rspb version of another track from that same album - glorifed version of a pelican!
  • Arctangent wrote:
    i know someone who thought that on leash pearl jam were singing japanese, japanese... get out of my fucking face!

i have always prefered the rspb version of another track from that same album - glorifed version of a pelican!

Those are hilarious. Great now I'll never listen to those songs the same way again.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • ramspamramspam Posts: 130
    Last christmas for some reason we were talking about Simon and Garfunkel and my cousin (24ish female) began singing "hello Douglass my old friend", as thats what she thought it was.
    Only fools have signatures...

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #20-+--+
  • lmfao me and my friend were listening to some nirvana in our ict class..

listen to stay away the last ever line before the drum soloy-bit

it sounds like kurt says

stay away
    stay away
    stay away
    callums gay

and yes my mates name was callum LOL
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Years ago my mom wanted to buy some music for my sister. She browsed music store looking for a band called Hauling Oats. :)
  • cutback wrote:
    Years ago my mom wanted to buy some music for my sister. She browsed music store looking for a band called Hauling Oats. :)

I'm sure there's a Hall & Oats tribute band out there looking for a name....oh wait, the Hall and Oats tribute band window probably closed a long time ago. What a shame it would have been a great name.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    I'm sure there's a Hall & Oats tribute band out there looking for a name....oh wait, the Hall and Oats tribute band window probably closed a long time ago. What a shame it would have been a great name.

:D:D
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    i thought of one of my friends as soon as i read the title, here's just a couple i've heard from him

"livin' on a prairie"....Bon Jovi - Livin on a Prayer, his excuse was "there's a prairie in the video"

and i have no idea how so don't ask but he actually thought it was "poison arrow"....Metallica - holier than thou
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810

My mom thought "There's a bad moon on the rise" was: "there's a bathroom on the right"

:rofl:

Ok so like a week ago I learned that Clapton does not sing a song called "Heeeey Love" in fact it's a song by Derek and the Domino's and they're singing "Layla" bahahha I was devistated! :lol:

My sister when younger thought Van Halen was singing about "Panty hose!" "Panty hose hose hose hose" bahaha :lol: she hates when I text her panty hose :smiley:

Even funnier my husband thought they were singing "had enough!"bahaha I said babe the song is called Panama. He still doesn't believe me.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • norm said:

A little while back Ron Bennington actually did this exact premise on his show. Speaking of Hall & Oates, one caller thought Rich Girl was them being cocky singing "You can rely on the Oates man's money." Best one I've heard

• hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    On Mercury - RHCP

First line of that song. I just figured out this morning that he was saying,

"I've got myself in a masochistic hold"

And not

"I got myself a masochistic ho"

LMBO!!
  • My idiot buddy thought 'Walk this way' was 'Marcus Twain'.

Sang it out loud while air banding the guitar. Gawd that was funny.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    ^ lol
    Guess he never saw the Run DMC-Aerosmith video.
  • Perry NeumPerry Neum Vienna, Austria Posts: 856
    Sleater Kinney's - Gimme Love

Not popular instead of Never Enough
    :)
    Salzburg, Austria 06-18-2000
    Vienna, Austria 09-25-2006
    Vienna, Austria 06-16-2007
    Berlin, Germany 08-15-2009
    Berlin, Germany 06-30-2010
    Amsterdam, Netherlands 06-26-2012
    Amsterdam, Netherlands 06-27-2012
    Praha, Czech Republic 07-02-2012
    Trieste, Italy 06-22-2014
    Vienna, Austria 06-25-2014
  • jlj_swejlj_swe Posts: 175
    A friend of mine had some issues with a line in Europe´s song The Final Countdown.
    They sing "We´re heading for Venus" but she was certain they said "We´re having some peanuts."
    Stockholm 1992-02-07
    Stockholm 1992-06-25
    Stockholm 1995-08-12
    Stockholm 2000-06-28
    Lisbon 2010-07-10
    Stockholm 2012-07-07
    Stockholm 2014-06-28

https://artbyjoachim.wordpress.com/
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My buddy's dad had Van Halen lyrics messed up into the late 90s and when he found out he just stuck with it...
    Instead of
    "I got no love waiting at home, I got no love you call real"
    He thought it was "I got no love in Korea"

Leash, my other bud thought it was "Drug police, get out of my fucking face, drug police..."
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    ^^^ :lol:

I love when the lyrics I get wrong are the damn words in the name of the song. Im ALWAYS crushed when I find out.

Like......

Kiss - Lick it up - I thought was live it up also for a long time had no idea it was Kiss (smh).
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    One of my favorites is when my mother in law thought "If I could be like that" from 3 Doors Down was "Fuck me like that" and she'd get pissed when she heard it until we corrected her.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    ^ Ha! It really does sound like they are saying that. 
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited October 2017
    "Pretty little thing, let me light your candle
    'Cause mama I'm sure hard to handle now, yessir'am"

But it's really something like...

"Hey lil ding, looks like a can a corn
    cause runnin round sure all the hennessy gets poured out"
    Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

:rofl:
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Funny i sang in a band and we covered smells like teen spirit. 
    I didn't know the words and i winged it lol. 
    Load up on guns bring your friends its hard to know into content. She's over bored. And so on through the whole song. Dang I'm an jackass

• KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    when my ex wife and I were dating we were singing RHCP Under The bridge in car and she sang "sha na na now ow" instead of Under the Bridge Downtown.  I still give her shit about it lol
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Well now, this is a bit embarrassing.  In the excellent song "Mabel" by the Juliana Hatfield Three I thought Juliana was singing "Take another leak" where she is actually singing "Check out that lady".  Talk about defective auditory discrimination, haha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4JWFuFc8Mw

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    But every Junkie like to sit in the sun

(But every Junkie's like a setting sun)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"