New Blind Melon video!!!

2»

Comments

• I think they honored it by waiting and they continue to honor his abilities with their new venture.

Shannon chose drug use over his family, his band and his music. With all due respect, I can't comprehend why you are so against the remaining members continuing on.

Why is it ok for Shannon to disrespect the things in his life, but it's not ok for Brad, Rogers, Chris and Glen to carry on?

PBM

Shannon had an addiction. It unfortunately won. He didn't "choose" anything. It's beyond unfortunate that we lost the band when we did, but I would like them to remain as the perfection we were given. Obviously, they are going through with this, so I will just not listen & let Blind Melon remain the band they were meant to be. I never said it wasn't ok for the guys to carry on btw...I just wish they would carry on as another band, they aren't "Blind Melon" without Shannon.
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • Shannon had an addiction. It unfortunately won. He didn't "choose" anything.

I have to disagree with that. You can have an additction, but you can also choose to get help.

I think the guys aren't exploiting the band's name or it's history. They are simply moving forward.

I couldn't care less what name they're using to make music...I would listen and buy it no matter what it was called.

With that said, they created the name and they worked for all their success...I wish nothing but the best for them.

I see nothing but positives coming out of all this...there is a chance to get new Melon music and pay respect to the memory of Shannon.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • I just wish they would carry on as another band, they aren't "Blind Melon" without Shannon.

A BAND name is basically a BRAND name, and it essentially represents the vision of the band, and often the frontman of the band represents that name. Sometimes after breakup/death, particularly of a frontman, the name no longer carries any value for two reasons:

1. The world associates the band name with the frontman only

2. If the person that dies or leaves the band was responsible for the bulk of creative decisions, then the band name will no longer represent the same vision.

But in this case, Chris Thorn and Brad Smith were just as much BLIND MELON as Shannon. They were responsible for just as much of the songwriting. If you listen to post-Melon projects like Luma/Unified Theory or Abandon Jalopy, the sound is similar, the VISION is the same...which means that the Blind Melon BRAND would still represent the same thing...and the new songs only reinforce that.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • I'm just excited to hear new music from the guys. As great as Shannon was, it was the music that I really loved. The guitar interplay between Rogers and Chris, Brad's great bass grooves, that's what hooked me. Nothing can take away from the music Shannon made, it will always be there. I feel sorry for those who can't enjoy great new music (and I think the new songs sound great) becuase of misguided allegiance to someone who's been gone a long time now. I bet Shannon would want the band to continue.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I think they honored it by waiting and they continue to honor his abilities with their new venture.

Shannon chose drug use over his family, his band and his music. With all due respect, I can't comprehend why you are so against the remaining members continuing on.

Why is it ok for Shannon to disrespect the things in his life, but it's not ok for Brad, Rogers, Chris and Glen to carry on?

PBM

amen. shannon had his shot and he chose to check out. speaking as a recovering addict, i have the utmost sympathy with the troubles shannon faced. but at the same time, if i had lost my battle, i would not expect the world to stop for it. should shannon's wife never remarry becos her husband wouldn't be shannon? the fact is, life goes on after people have died. the guys worked hard for the success they enjoyed and they should not have that all go to waste becos their singer had some demons he could not face.

furthermore, while shannon was integral to the blind melon sound at the time, blind melon was not his band. the band was formed by the other members and they invited shannon to come sing with them. it is their band, and i think they've been more than fair to shannon in waiting for the hype to die before reforming their band to carry on with their passion.
  • I have to disagree with that. You can have an additction, but you can also choose to get help.

I think the guys aren't exploiting the band's name or it's history. They are simply moving forward.

I couldn't care less what name they're using to make music...I would listen and buy it no matter what it was called.

With that said, they created the name and they worked for all their success...I wish nothing but the best for them.

I see nothing but positives coming out of all this...there is a chance to get new Melon music and pay respect to the memory of Shannon.

PBM
    Dude Shannon faught like hell to be that addiction. He even had a fairly new born daughter at the time of his death. Actually he'd nearly recovered but had a relapse and it got him.

I agree with the rest of your post, but Shannon died fighting with every ounce of strength he had.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Dude Shannon faught like hell to be that addiction. He even had a fairly new born daughter at the time of his death. Actually he'd nearly recovered but had a relapse and it got him.

I agree with the rest of your post, but Shannon died fighting with every ounce of strength he had.

Exactly...thank you!

& I'm done going in circles on the subject, there will be those of us who don't agree & won't listen...& those of you who will listen & love this. I wish the guys the best regardless.
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Exactly...thank you!

& I'm done going in circles on the subject, there will be those of us who don't agree & won't listen...& those of you who will listen & love this. I wish the guys the best regardless.

exactly? so you agree with the fact that he agrees that the guys should be entitled to use the name blind melon?
  • so exciting!! blind melon was dynamo.
    they say god makes problems just to see what you can stand ~ elliott smith