Milwaukee 2 '95
Alpine Valley '00
Milwaukee 1 '06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    Kick Ass!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    Travis sounds great! I can definitely hear him singing the old tunes too!

I am very happy right now. :)
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    wow, that's pretty fucking fantastic. this is exciting :)
  • Forget the video...there's 3 songs on the audio player! Sounds terrific! Anyone who missed out on the post Melon projects like Luma/Unified Theory and Abandon Jalopy...don't sleep!!!

From Billboard:

Blind Melon Recording Album With New Singer

October 20, 2006, 2:45 PM ET

Greg Prato, N.Y.
    It's been exactly 11 years since the death of singer Shannon Hoon effectively put an end to Blind Melon. But now, the group's surviving members -- guitarists Christopher Thorn and Rogers Stevens, bassist Brad Smith and drummer Glen Graham -- are back together again under the Blind Melon banner, with a new singer, 25-year-old Amarillo, Texas, native Travis Warren.

Warren met Smith and Thorn through a mutual friend and was initially interested in having the pair help produce his own music. Then, a joke email from Smith to Stevens got the ball rolling towards getting back together last summer. "Brad wrote a fake press release and sent it to me -- it was saying how we were back together and how Travis had brought us together," Stevens says. "It was the first I'd heard of it. I called Brad and I was like, 'What do you mean? You got the band back together without me?'"

Soon after, Warren and the four Melons congregated in the studio. "We decided to get into a room and play -- we thought it would be fun," Stevens says. "I was really skeptical in the beginning about doing anything, and none of us are into doing any kind of 'nostalgia trip.' We started playing, and I knew within the first half of a song that [Warren] was nailing it. It was something about the way he did it that it immediately disarmed my skepticism."

The group then took a break to collaborate on songs via e-mail, and recently got back together for another round of jamming, which confirmed that Blind Melon was back in business. "We started writing and recording, and we've got three new songs that we're excited about," says Stevens, revealing their titles as "Make a Difference," "Harmful Belly" and "For My Friends."

"His voice is in that sort of higher register that Shannon's voice was in, but he doesn't sound like him," Stevens promises. "There are certain similarities, just because he's in that range, but on the stuff that we're doing, his phrasing and whatnot is different than Shannon's. On the old songs, he can sing them really well. They are different, but he definitely was influenced by Shannon."

The group plans to have a new record finished early next year and hit the road afterward. Currently, a label is not in place. "I don't know what's going to happen -- we don't have anything right now," Stevens says. "We haven't talked to anybody about it. People are calling, but we don't know what's going to happen. These days, it's wide open."

Despite such a long layoff (their last all-new studio recording was 1995's "Soup"), Stevens says that the group is picking up right where it left off musically. "I feel like I'm back where I belong with these guys," he enthuses.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Hey dude, this sounds pretty fucking good.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • I am really glad to hear they are going for it. I felt that after Soup it was such a let down for the rest of the band. You could tell that album was a great collection from all of them and that with Shannon gone no one knew just how hard they all worked. I would go see this line up without a doubt!
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    The belly song is pretty good. I'm going to have to sleep on this. This is harder to swallow than I thought.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    great. it's about time.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I'm impressed.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • So far...so good. I like it.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • I like it.
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    Sweet. Thank you....can't wait to hear their other tunes. :)
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • larslars Posts: 524
    Alright but it makes me miss Shannon more so I guess its a no go for me
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Sounds great! Welcome back in my books.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • WOW...that video is awesome...good song...Still miss Hoon but like it so far
    Master of Zen
  • But I am so happy for the rest of the band. I have been watching that video over and over. I missed hearing the other songs that they had posted over the week. I will be buying the album when it hits the stores.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • A quote from Rogers from Kerrang magazine, back after Shannon had passed...

"There's a bond between us after all this, we still write well together...We're gonna change the name & do new songs. We want to try to, I guess, step away. It would be insulting to Shannon and all the people who are into the band for us to tour around as Blind Melon."

...Just because time has passed, it doesn't change that fact. The whole thing is making me sick.
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    I don't understand how bands like AIC and Blind Melon regroup. They basically are cover bands.
    I don't understand how bands like AIC and Blind Melon regroup. They basically are cover bands.

considering that almost all of blind melon's music was written by chris and co., i dont see how they could be considered a cover band. the songs are THEIR original works. is ed playing a cover when he sings no way with the band?
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    Sounds pretty good. But, are they keeping the name Blind Melon, or are they going to call themselves something else?
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    I can say now..that I actually don't dislike it. Can anyone get the video...or post it on YouTube??
    Sathogwa wrote:
    Sounds pretty good. But, are they keeping the name Blind Melon, or are they going to call themselves something else?

they're going with blind melon.
  • pretty good.

i like his voice but he can't hold a candle to Shannon's words from what i've heard.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    definetely a cool song.. but nowhere even close to Shannon Hoon imho
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • A quote from Rogers from Kerrang magazine, back after Shannon had passed...

"There's a bond between us after all this, we still write well together...We're gonna change the name & do new songs. We want to try to, I guess, step away. It would be insulting to Shannon and all the people who are into the band for us to tour around as Blind Melon."

...Just because time has passed, it doesn't change that fact. The whole thing is making me sick.

Someone posted a fair response over at the Blind Melon board:

"I also think that Blind Melon has indeed "stepped away" - for eleven years. In my mind, that is more than enough time to respect Shannon's memory before continuing on. So I think they did indeed take themselves out of the equation as to have some perspective on the whole situation. I can't imagine that anyone would think that the band has made these decisions half-heartedly or without thinking about it all.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Someone posted a fair response over at the Blind Melon board:

"I also think that Blind Melon has indeed "stepped away" - for eleven years. In my mind, that is more than enough time to respect Shannon's memory before continuing on. So I think they did indeed take themselves out of the equation as to have some perspective on the whole situation. I can't imagine that anyone would think that the band has made these decisions half-heartedly or without thinking about it all.

PBM

I didn't know there was a time limit in honoring someone's memory. :rolleyes:
  • I just went to their MySpace to check out the link to the forum you were talking about (didn't find it) but saw this:

Band Members
    Shannon Hoon - Vocals > R.I.P. 1967-1995

Glen Graham - Drums

Rogers Stevens - Guitar

Christopher Thorn - Guitar

Brad Smith - Bass, Vocals

Travis Warren - Vocals

...I am almost in tears. There will never be Blind Melon without Shannon, this is breaking my heart.
  • I didn't know there was a time limit in honoring someone's memory. :rolleyes:

I think they honored it by waiting and they continue to honor his abilities with their new venture.

Shannon chose drug use over his family, his band and his music. With all due respect, I can't comprehend why you are so against the remaining members continuing on.

Why is it ok for Shannon to disrespect the things in his life, but it's not ok for Brad, Rogers, Chris and Glen to carry on?

PBM

• I just went to their MySpace to check out the link to the forum you were talking about (didn't find it) but saw this:

http://blindmelons.proboards19.com/index.cgi

PBM

• considering that almost all of blind melon's music was written by chris and co., i dont see how they could be considered a cover band. the songs are THEIR original works. is ed playing a cover when he sings no way with the band?
    plus Jerry was/is 75-80% of Alice really...
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"