Siamese Dream

pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
edited September 2006 in Other Music
Is this anyone else's favorite non-PJ album?
I think it's fantastic. Easily The Smashing Pumpkins' (my second fav band) best work.
Anyone?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It's one of the greats, for sure
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    This album fucking rocks!! Although, my fav. non-Pearl Jam album is "Alice in Chains (Tripod)" it's still a phenomenal work of art. I'm more of a Mellon Collie fan when it comes to the Pumpkins.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Without a doubt one of the best albums ever.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I used to love this album. The wife and me have a rule if she hates a song she can fast foward that way she will not torture me with her music. On our road trip I put in I would just get into each song then the Mrs would fast foward I think today was the only song i heard all of. But she's pretty cool, 110 hours of driving she listens to 2 CDs so o well she did not like the pumpkins
    Arms wide open with the sea as my floor.
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    very good album......almost as good as Gish.
  • honestly man i'll take adore over siamese dream anyday.
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    honestly man i'll take adore over siamese dream anyday.

ditto but SD is still friggin sweet
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Gremmie95 wrote:
    very good album......almost as good as Gish.
    You gotta be kidding...?

Gish is just a bunch of billy's worst lyrics put to stoner rock.

I mean..

It's fucking great..

The power... Siva.. Rhinocerous... and then Crush which KILLS me... the whole thing's great..

but you can't compare anything else he's done to Gish :p

Depending on the day I'd take any pumpkins album over the rest of them..

They all have distinctly different and unique feelings.

One of the greatest bands in history btw... glad their back :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    siamese dream is their greatest album and my fav..... mellon collie second and gish third... mellon collie has many great songs but, its a double album, i bear in mind that....
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Siamese Dream is one of the greatest rock albums of all time, there isn't a bad song on it, definitely in my top 5.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I love Siamese Dream, but I gotta go with Gish as the Pumpkin's best. They never topped I Am One and Siva in my opinion.
  • dan_vedderdan_vedder Posts: 213
    I actually liked Gish better. Punpkins rock \m/
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • another 'adore' fan here. i have never actually heard siamese dream all the way through.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 467
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    i have never actually heard siamese dream all the way through.

wow, do it... and do it NOW! You must be young i am guessing?
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • you know music you listen to and you can almost SMELL a different time in your life? like you listen to it and it just brings you back to a certain time?

this album reminds me of driving to the retirement home i waited tables at in 11th grade like you wouldn't believe...hummer is definitely a top 10 all time song for me.

thanks for the memory
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    It is nearly tied with Vs. That's the only PJ album it doesn't beat with me. Sweet Sweet actually probably fucked it over from being the best album with me. That song is bleh for me.
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    Gish is their greatest feat. Stunning record.
  • WesternskyWesternsky Posts: 363
    toddiet123 wrote:
    Gish is their greatest feat. Stunning record.

I have to agree, but I Siamese Dream is a close second.
  • One of the best albums ever. This and Jar of Flies have THE best guitar work on any albums I've ever heard. I've heard Billy had to do some crazy shit to get his guitars to sound that way, lots and lots of tracks and stuff. I don't care what he did, it sounds amazing. Hummer is phenomonal, as is Soma. This album was with me during some cool moments of my youth.
  • moemoe6434 wrote:
    wow, do it... and do it NOW! You must be young i am guessing?

no, actually i was a teen when this album came out. my brother owned it. i just never was bothered to listen to it, i guess. i heard today and disarm, but that's it. i am curious to hear it though. apparently corgan wrote all the music and played all the instruments. and it was produced by the same guy that produced nirvana nevermind. will definitely check it out sometime. i loved mellon collie, too. :)
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    this is the only SP record i really really like alot. i love Butch Vig's production of Billy's vocals. so warm. everything about this record is stellar. i first got this record from some dude at a comic book shop who was all into Pearl jam. he dubbed it for me. bonus tracks on that cassette (break out your walkman) were "Wash", "Suggestion by pj", "footsteps", and some other live song that went.. "what she did to me.. ain't right" over and over. it wasn't all that cool so don't freak out about it.

amazing record.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    no, actually i was a teen when this album came out. my brother owned it. i just never was bothered to listen to it, i guess. i heard today and disarm, but that's it. i am curious to hear it though. apparently corgan wrote all the music and played all the instruments. and it was produced by the same guy that produced nirvana nevermind. will definitely check it out sometime. i loved mellon collie, too. :)

Cherub Rock will kick your ass. It bitch slapped me harder than Smells Like Teen Spirit.
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623
    you know music you listen to and you can almost SMELL a different time in your life? like you listen to it and it just brings you back to a certain time?

That's why some of my 11th/12th grade albums (New Radicals,Third Eye Blind,Eve 6,Semisonic,etc.) albums have yet to be sold.

Oddly enough, that's when I got Siamese Dream (in November of 98 in 12th grade) at a local indie store on a used cassette copy. BTW, Soma=BEST.GUITAR.SOLO.EVER.
  • Alone.Alone. Posts: 54
    Yeah, its got Disarm, i love that song. my fav SP song.

i grew up on that CD!
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Alone. wrote:
    Yeah, its got Disarm, i love that song. my fav SP song.

i grew up on that CD!

That was the first Pumpkins song I ever heard. I was driving at night when it came on the radio and I was just blown away. I love that album. Defninately one of if not my favorite non PJ albums.
    Brian
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    got it for £1 from a charity shop. Best find ever. I listened to it every day for about 6 months last year. got me through my exams.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    pjrvm wrote:
    Is this anyone else's favorite non-PJ album?
    I think it's fantastic. Easily The Smashing Pumpkins' (my second fav band) best work.
    Anyone?
    I consider this to be one of the best hard rock albums of my generation
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    This album ROCKS!!! In fact I think I'll go put it on right now!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • bryanfurybryanfury Posts: 460
    mayo, rocket, silverfuck, etc etc etc.

damn what a good album! top 5 all time!
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • You've said it all, SIAMESE DREAM rocks!!! Not sure if it's my favorite Pumpkins album, but it definately should be one of the 10 greatest rock albums of all time.

In fact, there is a new pumpkins fan site up at:

http://www.thepumpkins.net

And they have a bunch of free downloads on there, including the entire Siamese Dream album live... yeah, it's pretty fucking cool!!! They also have Machina II (their last album only spread via the internet); a couple of bootlegs (soundboard recordings); the Mashed Potatoes boxed set; and tons, no really TONS of demos!!!

Long live the PUMPKINS!!!!