name a song people should hear

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
edited July 2007 in Other Music
your mission if you choose to accept it is:

name an odler song that may be out of our collective memory. Then tell us why we should hear it.

Filter- Hey Man Nice Shot
great guitar riff, screaming vocals, political commentary, NINish buildup to industrial rage. All you didn't get a Vic tickets folks will really love this songs pissed off vibe!

song about a politician who kills himself with a gun, and this guys wishes he could have met him to tell him nice shot. Does pissed of industrial metal get any better than that?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    no takers....wow I am stunned. not looking for the best song ever here, just something out of our collective memory we should revisit.
  • AlBorlandAlBorland Posts: 117
    311- 8:16 am
    Skeletons ain't got nowhere to stick their money.
  • daryl jamdaryl jam Posts: 104
    locked in the trunk of a car - the tragically hip
    angels dance on a pin head, just to make room for you and i....
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I suggest this song EVERY single time someone starts one of these threads.......it would REALLY make my day if ONE of the good people on this board checked it out (for the first time) and gave me their feedback

Sarah Harmer - Lodestar

A Canadian singer songwriter......I consider this song to be (almost) songwriting perfection - it completely captures the feeling of a night on the lake, sitting by the fire, in Northern Ontario. The song gives me chills every time I hear it......it is truly beautiful.

Check it out!!!!!!!
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Plainclothes Man by Heatmiser

Elliott Smith's Original band. This was off the album Mic City Sons. I like this album more than any solo album by Elliott, and I love his solo albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bI4Now__Qo
    NERDS!
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Todd76 wrote:
    I suggest this song EVERY single time someone starts one of these threads.......it would REALLY make my day if ONE of the good people on this board checked it out (for the first time) and gave me their feedback

Sarah Harmer - Lodestar

A Canadian singer songwriter......I consider this song to be (almost) songwriting perfection - it completely captures the feeling of a night on the lake, sitting by the fire, in Northern Ontario. The song gives me chills every time I hear it......it is truly beautiful.

Check it out!!!!!!!

What he said.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    "Nautical Disaster" by The Tragically Hip.

Quite possibly the greatest song ever written. Haunting, disturbing, sad, and beautiful all at the same time. A blank verse poem set to a circular bass line and churning chord progression that cautiously appears and then builds as the narrator recalls a dream about a shipwreck off the coast of France, until the details promptly shift to an unwanted phone call from an ex-lover. Here's how music writer Michael Barclay describes the song in his excellent Canadian rock biography, Have Not Been The Same:

"The song followed in the traditions of Gordon Lightfoot's "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", and the Rheostatics' "Saskatchewan", but the last loaded image of fingernails scratching on a hull lifted the song even further beyond any standard comparisons. It remains the perfect example of how the band's music and Gord Downie's poetics could be interwoven to create a thoroughly moving experience."

Here's a live version from a 2004 show in Toronto:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=cmIiYGTYDSk

And here's some really cool info on the song's inspiration written by a good friend of mine from Ottawa, Mr. Stephen Dame:
    http://www.hipmuseum.com/nautical.html

Lyrics:

I had this dream where I relished the fray
    and the screaming filled my head all day.
    It was as though I'd been spit here, settled
    in, into the pocket of a lighthouse on some
    rocky socket, off the coast of France, dear.

One afternoon, four thousand men died in
    the water here and five hundred more were
    thrashing madly, as parasites might in your
    blood. Now I was in a lifeboat designed for
    ten and ten only, anything that systematic
    would get you hated. It's not a deal nor a
    test nor a love of something fated. The
    selection was quick, the crew was picked in order
    and those left in the water got kicked off our
    pantleg and we headed for home.

Then the dream ends when the phone rings,
    you doing alright, he said it's out there most
    days and nights, but only a fool would
    complain. Anyway Susan, if you like, our
    conversation is as faint as a sound in my
    memory, as those fingernails scratching on my hull.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    gin blossoms jealousy

well it rocks , the craft of this tune is great
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    "Nautical Disaster" by The Tragically Hip.

Quite possibly the greatest song ever written. Haunting, disturbing, sad, and beautiful all at the same time. A blank verse poem set to a circular bass line and churning chord progression that cautiously appears and then builds as the narrator recalls a dream about a shipwreck off the coast of France, until the details promptly shift to an unwanted phone call from an ex-lover. Here's how music writer Michael Barclay describes the song in his excellent Canadian rock biography, Have Not Been The Same:

"The song followed in the traditions of Gordon Lightfoot's "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", and the Rheostatics' "Saskatchewan", but the last loaded image of fingernails scratching on a hull lifted the song even further beyond any standard comparisons. It remains the perfect example of how the band's music and Gord Downie's poetics could be interwoven to create a thoroughly moving experience."

Here's a live version from a 2004 show in Toronto:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=cmIiYGTYDSk

And here's some really cool info on the song's inspiration written by a good friend of mine from Ottawa, Mr. Stephen Dame:
    http://www.hipmuseum.com/nautical.html

Lyrics:

I had this dream where I relished the fray
    and the screaming filled my head all day.
    It was as though I'd been spit here, settled
    in, into the pocket of a lighthouse on some
    rocky socket, off the coast of France, dear.

One afternoon, four thousand men died in
    the water here and five hundred more were
    thrashing madly, as parasites might in your
    blood. Now I was in a lifeboat designed for
    ten and ten only, anything that systematic
    would get you hated. It's not a deal nor a
    test nor a love of something fated. The
    selection was quick, the crew was picked in order
    and those left in the water got kicked off our
    pantleg and we headed for home.

Then the dream ends when the phone rings,
    you doing alright, he said it's out there most
    days and nights, but only a fool would
    complain. Anyway Susan, if you like, our
    conversation is as faint as a sound in my
    memory, as those fingernails scratching on my hull.
    Not a big fan of the singers voice, but it's a really well written song.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Todd76 wrote:

Sarah Harmer - Lodestar

Check it out!!!!!!!

sounded okay- all I could get was a soundclip. Anywhere where I can hear the whole thing online?

the tragically hip dude sounds like Neil Young and Michael Stipe had a son!
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Tyler - by the Toadies. This song still rocks my ass off. really catchy simple bass riff that is just kick ass too.

I'm trying to think of a song by a band called RUST. I think the album was called Bahr chord ritual, but can't find any info on this band on the net. Thus, I have no idea what the song is called without that info, but I'd love to hear it again. The song came out back in 98-99 I think. Anyone know the song or any info on the band? I'm pretty sure it was a one hit wonder.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    sounded okay- all I could get was a soundclip. Anywhere where I can hear the whole thing online?

Sorry - other than buying it from iTunes or trying to find it on Limewire (or something of the sort) I couldn't find the whole thing online anywhere......there are some live versions on YouTube (but they really don't do the song justice - you must hear the studio version)

......it will be worth the effort if you do track it down - trust me :)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    hahaha

i love that filter song... and that one about pictures
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    I BrisK I wrote:
    hahaha

... and that one about pictures

worst song ever:)

I'll suggest the following. Don't think it ever really got any respect.

Urge Overkill - Take A Walk
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Promise
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Victor Krummenacher - Tear Stained Road

http://uk.video.yahoo.com/video/play?ei=UTF-8&b=0&vid=49142&gid=113125

Trust me, this is the greatest singer/songwriter you have never heard.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    nailbomb - world of shit
  • The Shins - Pink Bullets
    Blind Melon - Mouthful of Cavaties
    Fleetwood Mac - Big Love (From The Dance)
    The Melvins - Revolve

Those are just a few.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • clayton12clayton12 Posts: 335
    strangulation- My Morning Jacket
    Grown=Jason Isbell
  • Matt LukinMatt Lukin Posts: 647
    Mission of Burma - That's When I Reach For My Revolver
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=gzMu6ugTNfA&mode=related&search=
    The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
    And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Short Memory- Midnight Oil
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    sleeping at last - brightly
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    river in the road - queens of the stone age
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    hats off to (roy) harper - led zeppelin

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    coconut skins - damien rice

hearts alive - mastodon

here's to you - joan baez

well well well - ben harper

dopo la vittoria - arvo part

sloop john b - the beach boys