Audioslave break up

Get Ready for EddyGet Ready for Eddy Posts: 32
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Hey guys, i've been really busy in junior year so i haven't been on the board much and i apolagize in advance if a topic such as this one has already been created. however, i'd just like to express my deep concern and disappointment in the immaturity of the members of audioslave for not doing a tour for their latest album. i am a RATM fan and a huge soundgarden fan, but i am a diehard audioslave fan. their music took me places, and i feel that they betrayed their fanbase and the music industry by not doing a tour. in addition, my friend signed up as an audiophile off of their website and he never got his fan card or anything but a folder. in addition, i'd like to add my biased comment that 95% of the RATM fans are posers anyways (not attacking or flaming anyone on this board specifically, just what i've seen in the past). anyways, let me know what your view is on the subject. also, sorry about the long paragraph :-\
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• correction: 95% of the CURRENT RATM fans, not the ones that have loved them since their self titled album.
  • from reading interviews with cornell, sounds like they were having problems for awhile as a band, and not getting along. So I would assume they didnt tour because of the same reasons: they didnt get along.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Hey guys, i've been really busy in junior year so i haven't been on the board much and i apolagize in advance if a topic such as this one has already been created. however, i'd just like to express my deep concern and disappointment in the immaturity of the members of audioslave for not doing a tour for their latest album. i am a RATM fan and a huge soundgarden fan, but i am a diehard audioslave fan. their music took me places, and i feel that they betrayed their fanbase and the music industry by not doing a tour. in addition, my friend signed up as an audiophile off of their website and he never got his fan card or anything but a folder. in addition, i'd like to add my biased comment that 95% of the RATM fans are posers anyways (not attacking or flaming anyone on this board specifically, just what i've seen in the past). anyways, let me know what your view is on the subject. also, sorry about the long paragraph :-\

"Immaturity"?! To be quite honest with the load of tripe you've just written, the only person that looks immature here is YOU. None of us know the true extent of the problems the band were having and the state of their personal relationships.

As for the majority of RATM fans being posers, again that is an utterly baseless argument - and to be quite honest, since you are in junior year, I very much doubt you can even remember RATM at the height of their fame, let alone what their fans are or were like. Perhaps I'm missing what your definition of a poser is? My definition (in the context you are using) is someone who pretends to like a type of music to somehow make them look cool. Which could hardly be the case with RATM, since they split up like seven years ago, they're not exactly at the forefront of the music scene at the moment.
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Plus it probably got boring singing over the same riff night after night.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Chris Cornell just wanted all the royalties to himself. He feels entitled to them because "he writes the songs, he sings the songs, and they just play the instruments."
    Life reveals what is dealt through seasons
    Circle comes around each time
  • Chris Cornell just wanted all the royalties to himself. He feels entitled to them because "he writes the songs, he sings the songs, and they just play the instruments."

If he wanted more money he would have kept Audioslave together. Good thing he moved on, Tom Morello just handicapped that band.
  • "Immaturity"?! To be quite honest with the load of tripe you've just written, the only person that looks immature here is YOU. None of us know the true extent of the problems the band were having and the state of their personal relationships.

As for the majority of RATM fans being posers, again that is an utterly baseless argument - and to be quite honest, since you are in junior year, I very much doubt you can even remember RATM at the height of their fame, let alone what their fans are or were like. Perhaps I'm missing what your definition of a poser is? My definition (in the context you are using) is someone who pretends to like a type of music to somehow make them look cool. Which could hardly be the case with RATM, since they split up like seven years ago, they're not exactly at the forefront of the music scene at the moment.

Uugh, first of all, chill out bro. second of all, like someone said before, i meant to say current ratm fans. obviously, you're not going to be a poser if you bought their self titled the day it came out. and by poser, i mean that their favorite album is Renegades, and the only songs they have by them are Renegades of Funk and Killing in the Name. and yes, they also use the name to make themselves look like rebels and badasses. and yes, i don't remember them at the height of their fame, but i still bought and have listened to all of their albums. try this: go on facebook and look up groups such as Rage Against the Machine (I Wish Audioslave Didn't Suck). you'll see what i mean when i say posers/immature.

dude, chris cornell wrote most of the music true, but he also voluntarily split the royalties evenly between the four of them. do you honestly think that these guys needed the money? granted, they almost broke up after the release of the first album because of financial reasons, but they're not exactly musicians who are just in it for the money, and i'm fairly sure that money was a relatively small factor in the breakup.
    that was a bullshit article written by a "news" website notarious for making things up. - COMPLETELY untrue.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    Uugh, first of all, chill out bro. second of all, like someone said before, i meant to say current ratm fans. obviously, you're not going to be a poser if you bought their self titled the day it came out. and by poser, i mean that their favorite album is Renegades, and the only songs they have by them are Renegades of Funk and Killing in the Name. and yes, they also use the name to make themselves look like rebels and badasses. and yes, i don't remember them at the height of their fame, but i still bought and have listened to all of their albums. try this: go on facebook and look up groups such as Rage Against the Machine (I Wish Audioslave Didn't Suck). you'll see what i mean when i say posers/immature.

Well happily, I've never met any rage fans like that, ever. And the thing I took offence to was you calling the band 'immature' for not touring an album - talk about an odd choice of word, not to mention how condescending it sounds.
  • webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    speaking of Audioslave's songs, is there anywhere i can find the songwriting credits for all their individual songs? it would be interesting to see who else contributed to the songwriting on which songs other than cornell...
  • Well happily, I've never met any rage fans like that, ever. And the thing I took offence to was you calling the band 'immature' for not touring an album - talk about an odd choice of word, not to mention how condescending it sounds.

Wow suck it up dude you sound like such a pussy i'm sorry. they release an album and say at the previous concert that they'll "see you next spring!" they release the album and do no tour...that's IMMATURE. i don't know what's odd about that word choice? and like i said, CURRENT/2ND GEN rage fans, not diehard since the beginning ones. and you've probably never met a bad rage fan because in your eyes knowing 3 songs is a good fan. i'm willing to bet you don't even own a single one of their albums. peace and good riddance
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    and like i said, CURRENT/2ND GEN rage fans, not diehard since the beginning ones. and you've probably never met a bad rage fan because in your eyes knowing 3 songs is a good fan. i'm willing to bet you don't even own a single one of their albums. peace and good riddance

I like Rage Against the Machine. I've only gotten into them in the past few years because I was four years old when their self-titled album came out. I guess that makes me a poser. :rolleyes:
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    Wow suck it up dude you sound like such a pussy i'm sorry. they release an album and say at the previous concert that they'll "see you next spring!" they release the album and do no tour...that's IMMATURE. i don't know what's odd about that word choice? and like i said, CURRENT/2ND GEN rage fans, not diehard since the beginning ones. and you've probably never met a bad rage fan because in your eyes knowing 3 songs is a good fan. i'm willing to bet you don't even own a single one of their albums. peace and good riddance

You of about 18 (or somewhere near that) calling a group of 40 year old men who have their reasons for not wanting to tour, Immature is plain retarded. Clearly you don't actually know what the word immature means - fucking stupid choice of word. Contradictory would be more appropriate. So have you never gone back on your word at some point in your life? YOU do not know the real reasons why Cornell left, so hop off your high-horse and show so objectivity.

Oh, and since you are new here, I'll let the 'pussy' comment go, clearly you didn't know that name calling is frowned upon round here. That said, calling someone a 'pussy' just because they disagree with you is pretty damn immature in my book. Since you are having trouble understanding the word, I thought I would help you out: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/immature

And not owning one of their albums, please. I have all of their albums, I bought their self-titled cd back in '94, saw them live for the first time in '96. Grow the fuck up.
  • You of about 18 (or somewhere near that) calling a group of 40 year old men who have their reasons for not wanting to tour, Immature is plain retarded. Clearly you don't actually know what the word immature means - fucking stupid choice of word. Contradictory would be more appropriate. So have you never gone back on your word at some point in your life? YOU do not know the real reasons why Cornell left, so hop off your high-horse and show so objectivity.

Oh, and since you are new here, I'll let the 'pussy' comment go, clearly you didn't know that name calling is frowned upon round here. That said, calling someone a 'pussy' just because they disagree with you is pretty damn immature in my book. Since you are having trouble understanding the word, I thought I would help you out: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/immature

And not owning one of their albums, please. I have all of their albums, I bought their self-titled cd back in '94, saw them live for the first time in '96. Grow the fuck up.

well obviously i still know more about the forum then you because you called me immature first. i'll take your definition "2. emotionally undeveloped; juvenile; childish." it isn't a retarded choice of a word. they were too childish to get over their little fight before they toured. and again, you called me immature first, and i said "chill out bro" that doesn't sound like name calling. o and i am being realistic, are you a paid member of the audioslave fan club? do you know shit about audioslave behind the scenes?

o and now that i think about it, you're so fucking hung up on the word immature that it doesn't really look like you have anything else behind your argument besides that "stupid fucking choice of words". o, and don't assume you know shit about my age. obviously you're still in that age group where being called immature is cause for a temper tantrum! seriously dude, you started this argument not me, so take some fucking midol.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    They didn't tour because Chris and the drummer both had new babies at home. also, they had recorded and toured virtually nonstop for their first 3 years.

If you've ever toured...even for a week...you know how much it can take out of you. Add to that the responsibilities of a family, and I think that the fans were spoiled by their work ethic. A band hasn't really done it like that on their level since the 70s.
  • enharmonic wrote:
    They didn't tour because Chris and the drummer both had new babies at home. also, they had recorded and toured virtually nonstop for their first 3 years.

If you've ever toured...even for a week...you know how much it can take out of you. Add to that the responsibilities of a family, and I think that the fans were spoiled by their work ethic. A band hasn't really done it like that on their level since the 70s.

that's true. both of them do have new babies and i guess they didn't expect that last year when they announced the tour for spring lol. still, i don't think that's cause for breaking up the whole band--not touring maybe, but not the break up
  • hopefully this isn't a breakup. i haven't read it anywhere other than here including their sites. maybe they'll tour later.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    hopefully this isn't a breakup. i haven't read it anywhere other than here including their sites. maybe they'll tour later.

If Chris said he's done, they're done. He had an official release about it. Told the fans before the band allegedly...said that they were finding out just like the press.
  • I've now read it in an English Kerrang! article, so I'm guessing it's official.

Tbh about the breakup, I was thinking 'Great, now Cornell can make good music'. And then I read that Tom Morello was working on a solo under the name of his 'alter-ego' The Night Watchman, and I nearly puked.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • I've now read it in an English Kerrang! article, so I'm guessing it's official.

Tbh about the breakup, I was thinking 'Great, now Cornell can make good music'. And then I read that Tom Morello was working on a solo under the name of his 'alter-ego' The Night Watchman, and I nearly puked.

yeah the nightwatchman is like folk music. he said it's his "political alter ego" but to be honest i think he's trying just a LITTLE too hard now
  • There's a bunch of Nightwatchman stuff on Youtube. Dare I say "Johnny Cash-like"
    NERDS!
    well obviously i still know more about the forum then you because you called me immature first..

Highlighting the fact you are immature is not name calling, it means you are still at the stage whereby you are taking the fact they split on a very basic level. Hardly the same as you calling me a pussy because I disagree with your reasons as to why the band split up. NONE of us know what actually went down between the four members, so you calling them immature does not make sense. Like I said, have you never changed your mind before about something? Changing your mind does not make someone immature.

i'll take your definition "2. emotionally undeveloped; juvenile; childish." it isn't a retarded choice of a word. they were too childish to get over their little fight before they toured...

How in the world would you know if it was 'little fight'? You don't.
    o and i am being realistic, are you a paid member of the audioslave fan club? do you know shit about audioslave behind the scenes?...

Seemingly more than you, since your original post was posted weeks after they split up, and everyone had finished talking about it.
    o and now that i think about it, you're so fucking hung up on the word immature that it doesn't really look like you have anything else behind your argument besides that "stupid fucking choice of words"

My argument was very simple from the offset, you can't accuse someone of being 'immature' when you don't know all the facts, it's called objectivity, you should try it some time.
    o, and don't assume you know shit about my age. obviously you're still in that age group where being called immature is cause for a temper tantrum! seriously dude, you started this argument not me, so take some fucking midol.

Hey, you are the one that said you were in junior high.....Um the age group of 25 whereby I know that calling a group of 40+ yr old men immature, for the crime of not touring an album, is a knee-jerk reaction by someone who doesn't know all the true reasoning behind it. I'm not saying I do know the reasoning, but I'm fully prepared to accept that there are reasons beyond what the public know.

Anyway, this is an argument to you?! Really? I'm just pointing out the flaws in your belief as to why they split. How about you stop getting so offended, take a step back from the situation and think about it logically. I'm as calm as a Hindu cow over here mate.
  • yeah the nightwatchman is like folk music. he said it's his "political alter ego" but to be honest i think he's trying just a LITTLE too hard now

LOL :D

Maybe it's a bit harsh saying I nearly puked, but I can picture a scenario where he's saying in an interview, 'Yeah. I'm calling myself the night watchman. It's my alter ego. It's a little bit dark, you know, menacing, maybe a little alienating. Some people will get it. Others won't, and the ones that don't... well, they weren't supposed to. The night watchman isn't for everybody.'
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• releesemereleeseme Posts: 387
    Dick Jones wrote:
    Plus it probably got boring singing over the same riff night after night.

That is too funny and so true. :D
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    If he wanted more money he would have kept Audioslave together. Good thing he moved on, Tom Morello just handicapped that band.

what the fuck are you talking about? Chris Cornells damaged voice and shoddy writing handicapped that band. Tom Morello will never handicap anything
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
    yeah the nightwatchman is like folk music. he said it's his "political alter ego" but to be honest i think he's trying just a LITTLE too hard now

either that or you can't comprehend anything more meaningful than "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me"

give up now, fucker, you don't know what the hell you are talking about

hear that sound? That the point flying right over your head...

Being a poser has nothing to do with when you bought an album. It has everything to do with your reasons for buying the album. So you've bought all of the albums and listened to all the songs. Wow, you're a serious fan now, there's no way YOU could be a poser.

And last and for all, Audioslave DID suck.
  • ediger wrote:
    either that or you can't comprehend anything more meaningful than "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me"

What makes you think that the name 'the Night Watchman' is 'anything meaningful'? Is it not just pretentious?