80´s vs 90´s

2»

Comments

• JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    no, I'm pointing out "rock" music......but hey, your entitled to your opinion man.

haha i think you missed the whole point of my post...i'm saying you should have picked better bands from the 80's than wasp, cinderella, poison, etc. to make the comparison a little more fair
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    The '80's SUCKED compared to the '90's. Except for maybe Janes Addiction. How can you fucking dispute this at all??????? I mean come the fuck on, the very best punk was made in the latter part of the '70's for crying out loud, well except for Agent Orange and Minor Threat and a couple DK tunes.

The '90's successfully reinvented rock as far as I'm concerned.

We're still waiting for that movement for this decade. Hope it happens soon. I am watching for it after all...

Oh, and Dave Grohl blows Tommy Lee the fuck away...

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    If we want to make a comparison between both decades, do a fair comparison... the extreme opossing make us hate each other..like early 90´s hates second period of 90´s rock music... in fact i´m korn and deftones fan...
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Most of the band's I love from the eighties and there's a lot of them, I did'nt actually discover till the 90's, because they were not really popular in the mainstream, I was only growing up and did'nt really go searching for music like I started doing when I became a teenager so it's the 90's for me.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Mojopin wrote:
    The '80's SUCKED compared to the '90's. Except for maybe Janes Addiction. How can you fucking dispute this at all??????? I mean come the fuck on, the very best punk was made in the latter part of the '70's for crying out loud, well except for Agent Orange and Minor Threat and a couple DK tunes.

The '90's successfully reinvented rock as far as I'm concerned.

We're still waiting for that movement for this decade. Hope it happens soon. I am watching for it after all...

Oh, and Dave Grohl blows Tommy Lee the fuck away...

Mojo

Have you heard:

Millions of Dead Cops
    Bad Religion
    The Wipers
    The Dead Kennedys
    NoFx
    Fang
    The Decendants
    Black Flag

While punk imo was not as good as in the 70's as the 80's there was still a lot of good punk bands coming out, it just was not as mainstream as in the 70's.
    On top of that you have to realise that bands like Green River, Mudhoney, Husker Du and many of the other alternative bands were pretty much an off shoot of the punk ethos as well.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    they fall into the "etc."

Fair enough, at least you listed the Pumpkins.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    the 70's sucked compared to the late 60's bands.

Of course there were great bands but cmon.. Jimi, Led Zep (even though Zeppelin was brilliant throughout the 70's ), Steppenwolf, Doors, etc.

The best thing about the 70's i think was Pink Floyd. Brillaint brilliant work... the reason they're one of the greatest bands ever. :)

I disagree the early to mid 70's were great. floyd, some good doors albums, sabbath, led zep, and Neil Young's early 70's stuff to about 78 was fucking sick.

I think it is closer then you give it credit. The 60's had some great music too though can't deny dylan's work then.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Didn't Colour Me Bad come out of the 90's? :D:D:D

Blanket statement: Great music happens every day, year, decade and you just have to look for it (the bad stuff is just so much more obvious). So no way, the 80's did not suck at all. How about the Feelies, Smiths, Big Black, Dino Jr., The Fall, Jane's Addiction, and Wire (anyone ever heard A Bell is a Cup...?)?

Not that it has anything to do with anything, but at least MTV was a far superior cable channel in the 80's than the 90's or 00's.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I'd prefer flannel to spandex any day.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • intodeep wrote:
    I disagree the early to mid 70's were great. floyd, some good doors albums, sabbath, led zep, and Neil Young's early 70's stuff to about 78 was fucking sick.

I think it is closer then you give it credit. The 60's had some great music too though can't deny dylan's work then.
    how the hell could i forget neil and bob!

they RULED the 70s!
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Mojopin wrote:
    well except for Agent Orange and Minor Threat and a couple DK tunes.
    Some love for Agent Orange. Outstanding!!
  • It would probably be easier to compare genre movements than timespans - i.e. hair metal vs. grunge instead of 80s versus 90s.

Even if you wanted to keep it strictly rock, bands like Guns N' Roses released fantasic material in both decades (Appetite in 1987 and Use Your Illusion I/II in 1991).

For those who are eager to proclaim the 90s as the victorious decade due to the much needed insurgence of grunge, I've got a skeleton from that closet as well... Nu-Metal - the 1990s answer to hair metal.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    dirt wrote:
    Didn't Colour Me Bad come out of the 90's? :D:D:D

Not that it has anything to do with anything, but at least MTV was a far superior cable channel in the 80's than the 90's or 00's.
    Dooooooooh.......Colour Me Badd.......God what an awful, reeking turd of a band...

I agree with your statement in regards to MTV.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    tybird wrote:
    Dooooooooh.......Colour Me Badd.......God what an awful, reeking turd of a band...

awww, come on man, no love for "I adore" or "I wanna sex you up"?!?!?!?!?
    that's some deep shit right there!
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    tybird wrote:

Later on in the 90's there was some just-as-cheezy song....no idea who sang it, but it was like: come my lady, come come my lady...buterfly..blahblah!

And wasn't Nelson part of the 90's? Could've been technically '89..?

Maybe we should start a new thread where each member can post one aweful tune in a post (band/song and no commentary) from the 80's and 90's. after some collective participation we drill down to a top 5 in a vote or poll/tournament. I have been around The Pit a few years but may have missed if it's been done before. Thread title could be 'Bad Music Game.'
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    dirt wrote:
    Later on in the 90's there was some just-as-cheezy song....no idea who sang it, but it was like: come my lady, come come my lady...buterfly..blahblah!

That would be Crazytown
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWz_-OOiV-0
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    awww, come on man, no love for "I adore" or "I wanna sex you up"?!?!?!?!?
    that's some deep shit right there!
    nope.........no way, no how..........just no love here for the "boys" in that band, and I use the term "boys" loosely.........:)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • SOLAT41SOLAT41 Posts: 21
    dirt wrote:

Totally agree there. MTV went wrong about 96ish...Then there was no more music and all reality shows. Oh yeah TRL...enough said there. I miss the good ol' days of MTV. Remember M does stand for music although I'm pretty sure I haven't seen much of that lately unless i'm watching it at 3-4 am.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me..." ~PJ