80´s vs 90´s

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited August 2006 in Other Music
i´m big fan of rock, especially 90´s movement, and i´m tired when people says the 80´s are far better than 90´s, so i would like to compare both decades pickin my favs lineups of each one...

singers:
Bruce dickinson-Axl rose vs Eddie vedder-Chris cornell

lead guitar:
Slash-Kirk hammet vs Dimebag darrel-Jerry cantrell

bass:
Steve harris-Flea vs Tim commeford-Korn bass guy

drummers:
Tommy lee-Lars ulrich vs Dave grohl-Vinnie paul

many of them started playing in 80´s but almost all people recognise them as 90´s rockstars....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i don't know who in their right minds would say the 80s were better for music than the 90s. the 80s gave us michael jackson, metallica (i don't care what anybody says, they are one of the greatest rock bands in history), gnr for a couple years, and a bunch of shitty hair metal bands. The period from 1990 or 1991 until the mid 90s was abolutely unbelievable for music.
    I caught a flash of flash of your smile through the fog of a dream, I'll have a hell of a time I clearly see, I can't be by your side, see you when I sleep.
    - Jerry Cantrell "Gone"
  • jrzygrljrzygrl Posts: 19
    I would say both decades have their good points and bad.
    Escape is never the safest plan

Philly-05
    Camden-06
    Camden-08
    Philly Spectrum -09
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    ryantremor wrote:
    i don't know who in their right minds would say the 80s were better for music than the 90s. the 80s gave us michael jackson, metallica (i don't care what anybody says, they are one of the greatest rock bands in history), gnr for a couple years, and a bunch of shitty hair metal bands. The period from 1990 or 1991 until the mid 90s was abolutely unbelievable for music.
    Agreed...........I lived through both decades...once Michael Jackson and Madonna took over the airwaves, the music of the 1980's died.

Despite the downtrend of its last half, the 1990's were far superior for music.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • I think it's pretty much common knowledge that the 80's were by FAR the worst decade for music since modern music started in 1920 (blues/jazz).

It might as well be written as fact in the almanac.

Not only did they make rock music into a farce of itself and at the same time almost ruined it completely, but they almost destroyed Bob Dylan. Any movement that can make BOB DYLAN look like a jackass deserves to go down as what I call it..

The Holocaust.

And Fuck Van Halen.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    The '80s also brought Bruce Springsteen to the people, Prince came to maturity. Just those two artists make the '80s amazing.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    U2
    The Police
    REM
    The Pretenders
    The Clash
    The English Beat

Yeah the 80's really sucked. How did I survive high school with that crappy music?

(Sarcasm intended)
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    ryantremor wrote:
    i don't know who in their right minds would say the 80s were better for music than the 90s. the 80s gave us michael jackson, metallica (i don't care what anybody says, they are one of the greatest rock bands in history), gnr for a couple years, and a bunch of shitty hair metal bands. The period from 1990 or 1991 until the mid 90s was abolutely unbelievable for music.
    Well i think the 90's were better (the early to mid 90's carry the decade), but there were great bands from the 80's:
    Dinosaur Jr
    Sonic Youth
    Pixies
    Husker Du
    Cure
    REM

Lots more smaller bands and college bands like those above that were awesome.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • ^ ^ yeah there were a ton of great bands around like any decade, but Hair Metal almost single handedly did the decade in..

all those listed make up for it now though :)

"Make our day"
  • i like both!
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
    ^ ^ yeah there were a ton of great bands around like any decade, but Hair Metal almost single handedly did the decade in..

all those listed make up for it now though :)
    It wasn't just hair metal, but the crappy pop toward the end of the decade just about destroyed popular music. MILI VANILI!!!! Be glad you were a infant during this time. And that god for Ed, Mike, Stone, Jeff (and their drummers), Kurt, Dave, Krist, Chris, Kim, Matt, Layne, Jerry . . . too any to list, for bringing real music back to the world.
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    pretty straight forward if you ask me....

80's: Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Poison, Def Leppard, Ratt, Cinderella, WASP, etc.

90's: AIC, Soundgarden, Nirvana, STP, Smashing Pumpkins, PJ, Mudhoney, etc.

any questions?
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I think it's pretty much common knowledge that the 80's were by FAR the worst decade for music since modern music started in 1920 (blues/jazz).

It might as well be written as fact in the almanac.

Enough said. The 80s, music wise, was an embarrassment, overall.
    The only bands worthy then were Def Leppard, Van Halen and the Stones were still pretty hot.
    Gremmie95 wrote:

any questions?
    90's: Creed, Hole, death of SRV, mass marketing and commercialization of grunge
    ~ Bob Marley
    surferdude wrote:
    90's: Creed, Hole, death of SRV, mass marketing and commercialization of grunge

80's: Flock of Seagulls, Go Go's, WHAM, Boy George, largest yuppie movement in recorded history, death of Lennon
    cutback wrote:
    U2
    The Police
    REM
    The Pretenders
    The Clash
    The English Beat

Yeah the 80's really sucked. How did I survive high school with that crappy music?

(Sarcasm intended)
    A couple of those bands actually started recording in the 1970's...of couple of those bands did not make out of the 1980's....maybe the decade would have been a little better if the original line-up of the Pretenders made it past 1983 alive..or if the Police could have gotten along (solo material by Sting sucks)...yes, there were great bands, but the really sucky bands out-weighed the good or great bands in the 1980's.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    A couple of those bands actually started recording in the 1970's...
    I know some started in the 70's but had their biggest success in the 80's.
    tybird wrote:
    of couple of those bands did not make out of the 1980's....maybe the decade would have been a little better if the original line-up of the Pretenders made it past 1983 alive..or if the Police could have gotten along (solo material by Sting sucks)...yes, there were great bands, but the really sucky bands out-weighed the good or great bands in the 1980's.
    Same with the 90's. That's why is discussion will go nowhere.
    cutback wrote:
    Same with the 90's. That's why is discussion will go nowhere.
    True............if one could take the first half of the 1980's and combine it with the first half of the 1990's that would be a kick ass musical decade. I will admit that I loved the early period of MTV with all these quirky little bands, but too way too much Jacko, Madonna, Prince and the like killed it for me.

Yes, I love hearing early Pretenders, U2, Clash and such. Remember the 1980's did force solo material by Sting and Phil Collins upon our ears..........I'm a big fan of early Genesis and the Police.
    tybird wrote:
    True............if one could take the first half of the 1980's and combine it with the first half of the 1990's that would be a kick ass musical decade. I will admit that I loved the early period of MTV with all these quirky little bands, but too way too much Jacko, Madonna, Prince and the like killed it for me.
    That would be cool.
    tybird wrote:
    Remember the 1980's did force solo material by Sting and Phil Collins upon our ears..........I'm a big fan of early Genesis and the Police.
    Actually Sting's solo work until recently is actually really good. It's not The Police, but he is a great songwriter and I love(ed) his voice.
    Any decade's music is what you make of it. There was enough amazing stuff in the '80s and '90s to not have to ever listen to the crap from either decade.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • surferdude wrote:
    Any decade's music is what you make of it. There was enough amazing stuff in the '80s and '90s to not have to ever listen to the crap from either decade.
    agreed.

Who remembers the 90s for sarah mah-glock-lin (can't spell it) ?

No one that's who.

It's all Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice...

"Make our day"
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    when i was younger i totally hate 80´s rock bands, over the years i getting listening some of these bands, and i find they don´t really suck as i tought before.... but, 90´s are much better than 80´s ´´band per band´´

rock bands of 80´s like: metallica, guns and roses, the pixies, slayer, the police, and sinth pop band depeche mode.....

from 90´s: the fab four: alice in chains, pearl jam, nirvana, soundgarden... and RATM, STP, smashing pumpkins, radiohead ´´bend-ok comp´´, pantera and korn...

only the 70´s can compare to rock of 90´s.....
  • tonadax wrote:
    when i was younger i totally hate 80´s rock bands, over the years i getting listening some of these bands, and i find they don´t really suck as i tought before.... but, 90´s are much better than 80´s ´´band per band´´

rock bands of 80´s like: metallica, guns and roses, the pixies, slayer, the police, and sinth pop band depeche mode.....

from 90´s: the fab four: alice in chains, pearl jam, nirvana, soundgarden... and RATM, STP, smashing pumpkins, radiohead ´´bend-ok comp´´, pantera and korn...

only the 70´s can compare to rock of 90´s.....
    the 70's sucked compared to the late 60's bands.

Of course there were great bands but cmon.. Jimi, Led Zep (even though Zeppelin was brilliant throughout the 70's ), Steppenwolf, Doors, etc.

The best thing about the 70's i think was Pink Floyd. Brillaint brilliant work... the reason they're one of the greatest bands ever. :)

"Make our day"
  • evoevo Airdrie, Scotland Posts: 185
    lets be honest, if you had a time machine you would skip the 80's (looking back you know Marty Mcfly would!)

there were some good bands about in the 80's and it was the decade which i started to get into music, but the 90's kicks it's ass.
    Hail Hail
  • evo wrote:
    the 90's kicks it's ass.
    I'd take everclear and all the late 90's crap alternative half rock than whitesnake ANY day.

"Make our day"
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Gremmie95 wrote:

any questions?

Yes.
    Why didn't you list Green Day? They kicked ass in the 90s!
  • Early 90's by far: PEARL JAM!!!!, radiohead, nirvana, soundgarden, alice in chains, blind melon, jeff buckley
    the end of the 90's was bad, backstreet boys, britney spears uughh, YIELD was the only great thing of that time!!
    Pearl Jam Mexico 2005, The greatest year ever!
    December 9, 10 - ESTA BIEN, ESTA BIEEEEEN!

www.myspace.com/clau_yellowled
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    Gremmie95 wrote:

any questions?

that's a horrible comparison....you could have at least put the best music of the 80's on that list...that'd be like me saying

80's: metallica, gnr, iron maiden, dio, megadeth, savatage, ozzy osbourne, faith no more, etc..

vs.

90's: backstreet boys, n sync, 98 degrees, chumbawumba, LFO, vanilla ice, Seal, etc...
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I think I would personally rather take the crap that was in the 80's than the crap that was in the 90's. Of course, I'm speaking as a child of the 90's [;)] growing up hearing that crap, and I didn't discover Pearl Jam until the 2000's, so of course being stuck in a car with Backstreet Boys playing is going to change your opinion easily. Just to think, I didn't know good music then and I could still tell it was bad, lol.

After saying that, I like the 90's good stuff more than the 80's good stuff.

P.S. Nobody mentioned SRV as a pro of the 80's!!!!!

We love you SRV.
    Happiness is only real when shared
    JSP552003 wrote:
    that's a horrible comparison....you could have at least put the best music of the 80's on that list...that'd be like me saying

80's: metallica, gnr, iron maiden, dio, megadeth, savatage, ozzy osbourne, faith no more, etc..

vs.

90's: backstreet boys, n sync, 98 degrees, chumbawumba, LFO, vanilla ice, Seal, etc...

no, I'm pointing out "rock" music......but hey, your entitled to your opinion man.
    danny72688 wrote:
    Yes.
    Why didn't you list Green Day? They kicked ass in the 90s!

they fall into the "etc."