worst song on a great album

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Worst song on a great album? "The Crunge" off of Led Zeppelin's otherwise brilliant "Houses of the Holy."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    mother from synchronicity....
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Buddy Holly - Blue Album - Weezer
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • cutback wrote:
    mother from synchronicity....

wow good call!!! that song is scary!

my vote is

RESPECT off Ready to die.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • tonadax wrote:
    Worst song on a great album? "The Crunge" off of Led Zeppelin's otherwise brilliant "Houses of the Holy."
    "I'm just trying to find the bridge...Has anybody seen the bridge?" Horrible.

Here's another turd:

Led Zeppelin III - Hats Off To (Roy) Harper

Thank god it's the last song on the album
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Death at Ones Elbow -Strangeways Here We Come
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    Dam That River - Alice In Chains - Dirt
    Not For You - Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
    Vibeology - Paula Abdul - Spellbound
  • spnkri wrote:

On the first two... Seriously?

And the last one... WTF?
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    [quote="stevieraveon
    Here's another turd:

Thank god it's the last song on the album[/quote"]

Bugger it...that was my first thought when I saw this thread...what a shitty song to end possibly the 3rd, or 4th greatest album ever....
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • QotSA- Rated R. What a beautiful album- diverse, mellow, beautiful, dirty, and always orginal. Rated R is THE perfect balance of vocal and instrumental harmony, sweet melodies and heavy rhythm guitar. R is everything that makes QotSA addictive and sticky.

But "Quick and to the Pointless". WTF. >:V I bit my ears off after that song.
  • Starf***ers Inc. - The Fragile. It doesn't really belong on the album, but I think Trent was hoping it would boost album sales.
  • Starf***ers Inc. - The Fragile. It doesn't really belong on the album, but I think Trent was hoping it would boost album sales.

Yeah that was definitely, "oh shit we need a single"
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • spnkri wrote:

why do you even know paula abdul has an album called spellbound?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • why do you even know paula abdul has an album called spellbound?

Hahahaha... 'Vibeology'?? I wonder what the BEST song from that album is.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison

I think it's great. It makes me laugh.

'STARFUCKERS!!'

LOL
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    why do you even know paula abdul has an album called spellbound?

Well, that last song was sort of a joke, although I really did buy that album...15 years ago. And that song really does suck compared with the rest of Spellbound.

But I stand by the Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam songs I mentioned. But then again, I also like Riot Act. A lot.
  • bang bang maxwell's silver hammer - abbey road
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • My World - Use Your Illusion II
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    spnkri wrote:

I can't believe you think Not for you is a terrible song. Great album...what about that Foxy mop shit? That's surely the worst track PJ ever made.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • jamie uk wrote:
    I can't believe you think Not for you is a terrible song. Great album...what about that Foxy mop shit? That's surely the worst track PJ ever made.

more like the most underrated song they ever made....
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Inside, from Van Halen's 5150 album
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • bang bang maxwell's silver hammer - abbey road

No way. Its a classic

My picks....

"Parachutes" from Pearl Jam's Avocado
    "Worried About You" from the Rolling Stones' Tattoo You
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • No way. Its a classic

No. Come Together and Something are classics. Maxwell's Silver Hammer is the worst song on the album(which is what this thread is about). BTW, Parachutes is a geat little tune... :)
  • No. Come Together and Something are classics. Maxwell's Silver Hammer is the worst song on the album(which is what this thread is about). BTW, Parachutes is a geat little tune... :)

I also like Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Only Paul McCartney could write a song about a guy who goes around murdering people by smashing them in the head with a hammer and make it so catchy.

and while a lot of people would probably disagree with me, and it's probably not the worst song on the album, but I have, and always will, completely hate 'Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me and My Monkey' from the White Album (which is my favorite album). I skip it almost every time. I just hate that opening drum beat and guitar riff. I think it sounds horrible. this is coming from a guy who likes Honey Pie and Revolution 9 though so to each their own I guess.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Hahahaha... 'Vibeology'?? I wonder what the BEST song from that album is.

I hope you realize Pearl Jam has used an equally nonsensical word to name their third album, and that one was pretty good.

Not that I'm defending Paula Abdul or anything...
  • "I'm just trying to find the bridge...Has anybody seen the bridge?" Horrible.
    Ha, ha, ha, ha. I always think that part is hilarious.
    Perhaps I was being unfair earlier with my Paula Abdul Vibeology remark. I think this song works much better live than it does in the studio, and her 1991 MTV VMA performance was actually very well choreographed. Plus, no lip synching. And you can't tell me you've never danced to this song naked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpQs32z2AGQ
  • Love The Crunge, Buddy Holly, Not For You, and Quick and to the Pointless.

The first thing that came to mind was Revolution 9 from The White Album. I would also like to nominate Tighter & Tighter from Down on the Upside. That album would be much tighter without it.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    tonadax wrote:

Best song on the album, hands down.

I nominate Your Time Is Gonna Come for LZ. Awful. Just awful.
  • Die Eier Von Satan off Aenima
    the Minions
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762

Thank god it's the last song on the album

i disagree with you 100%. i love that song.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick