Options

Shinedown

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited January 2007 in Other Music
i just heared a couple of songs of them ´´heroes, save me and burning bright´´ i think their music is good, alt rock vibe and his vocalist sings too similar to chris cornell...

what you think about them?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    shinedown are a very good band. their first album, leave a whisper was fucking amazing. their follow up us and them was very dissapointing, but had some good songs on it. they tried to much to sound like audioslave on their second. if you havent got leave a whisper, i recommend that u purchase it. its a very powerful, forceful, tuneful hard rock/metal album
    ...Pearl Jam, a group filled with pride, passion, and intricate musicianship. Their music is full of subtle textures, rich color, soul-searching power, imagery, and eerie dissonance.
  • Options
    tonadax wrote:
    what you think about them?

that they're horrible.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    that they're horrible.

how can you say that??? the dude has a set of pipes on him and go see them live, they are even better...this band is legit and Leave a Whisper is a brilliant album
  • Options
    I have seen them live 5 times, and the smaller venue shows are really good. The band really has a soul.
  • Options
    Great band...Live From the Inside is a great dvd!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    pjalive21 wrote:
    how can you say that??? the dude has a set of pipes on him and go see them live, they are even better...this band is legit and Leave a Whisper is a brilliant album
    yep, that guys got a great voice.
  • Options
    From what I've heard of them, they don't sound any different than the rest of the bands in that "alt" radio-rock genre that ClearChannel plays to death. As a result, I don't have any interest in any of their albums.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • Options
    i like shinedown...i own both of their albums and i enjoy them quite a bit. whoever says that their singer does not have a good voice is very wrong .
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    pjalive21 wrote:

what makes a band legit?

They had a good cover of Simple Man but the rest is pretty shitty
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    that they're horrible.

agreed...don't like them at all
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    what makes a band legit?

They had a good cover of Simple Man but the rest is pretty shitty

a band that can put out a good album from beginning to end and can put on a great live show, which they do,....not sound like anything else at the present moment and not just catering to the mainstream, which at the time they sounded like no one.... as a matter of fact they sound better live than on cd and you can tell they love what they do and have passion for the music...they are also down to earth guys if you ever get a chance to meet them....IMO its hard to knock what these guys do

as for simple man, yeah it was a good cover but wasnt originally on Leave a Whisper when it first came out and was overplayed.... you cant base this band off that cover when they were good before that was ever released
  • Options
    DELETEDDELETED Posts: 421
    pjalive21, you just couldn't have said it better! I've seen them Shinedown live, and they are probably my biggest guilty pleasure.. music wise, at least.

:o
  • Options
    They have some really good songs, some of them sound like all the other grungey bands around, but a fair few of their songs wouldn't have sounded out of place in the early 90's. And Brent Smith is head and shoulders above all the other nu-grunge vocalists out there, kind of like Chris Cornell meets James Hetfield.
  • Options
    Right on.. except for the Cornell and Hetfield part ;).
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    can anyone give me any info on this band? I am a little late but starting to really enjoy what I hear from them.

They have a website? what's their history? where are they from?

thanx!
  • Options
    they would make for a good junior high talent show cover band back in the 90s maybe. too late for that though so i guess they're out of luck
    this heart's on fire
  • Options
    can anyone give me any info on this band? I am a little late but starting to really enjoy what I hear from them.

They have a website? what's their history? where are they from?

thanx!

I believe they are from Florida, their site is http://www.shinedown.com
  • Options
    Yeah, they are pretty horrid. Shinedown, Hinder, Buckcherry, etc. etc. aren't all these bands just the same? Shinedown is like 2006's version of Default.
  • Options
    Yeah, they are pretty horrid. Shinedown, Hinder, Buckcherry, etc. etc. aren't all these bands just the same? Shinedown is like 2006's version of Default.

Buckcherry sound ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like Shinedown. I don't think anyone is under the impression Shinedown are original sounding, BUT for what they do, they do it a hell of a lot better than most of their contemporaries.
  • Options
  • Options
    shinedown is the best new band i've heard for hard rock in a long time. love that guys voice and style. his vocal lines can remind me of chris cornell, which is great for me.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    definitely a good band in this awful time for new musical talent.

their lyrics are impressive and their overall sound is enjoyable.

wouldn't mind getting to see them live if their tix are affordable.

we always keep looking for the next band to take the torch from Pearl Jam and do socially good things with their music....maybe this band might be the one when PJ is ready to hand off?
  • Options
    definitely a good band in this awful time for new musical talent.

their lyrics are impressive and their overall sound is enjoyable.

wouldn't mind getting to see them live if their tix are affordable.

we always keep looking for the next band to take the torch from Pearl Jam and do socially good things with their music....maybe this band might be the one when PJ is ready to hand off?

As much as I like Shinedown, no way are they even approaching the league of Pearl Jam, not by a long shot.
  • Options
    I heard one of their songs, 45, in the Hard Rock Cafe. I thought it was good, the singers got a really good voice :)
  • Options
    OdinOdin Posts: 599
    How could some of you compare Shinedown to shitty bands like Hinder and Buckcherry? GTFOH!

Though Shinedown may not be the greatest band in the world, they are one of the better mainstream bands out there today. Give them that much credit at least. Brent Smith has one of the best voices in rock & roll, their songwriting puts the Hinder's and Buckcherry's to shame, and the band puts out quality songs with dynamic range (unlike a lot of other mainstream bands out there). Us and Them wasn't as good as their debut, Leave A Whisper, but is a decent album nevertheless. I am anticipating their third album and am interested in seeing what direction they will take.

As for their concerts, they seem to put on a better show in small, intimate venues and are not exactly "arena rockers" yet (10 Years, for instance, is much better than Shinedown in this regard). Hopefully, over time, they will be like Pearl Jam and change up their setlists. We'll see.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,853
    theyre a great album and radio band, but they suck live, i mean horrible. It was one of the worst concerts ive ever been to.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    I admit they're better live than on album :rolleyes:.. But decent live at that.
  • Options
    a5pj wrote:
    theyre a great album and radio band, but they suck live, i mean horrible. It was one of the worst concerts ive ever been to.

not to be ignorant but get your ears checked!!!!

these guys are great live and are a great band with alot of talent and dedication/love for the music they put out...ive seen them twice and they are great live

as for whoever compared them to Hinder, Buckcherry and Defualt...GET REAL!!! they are an original sound
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    edited August 2020
    How are these guys not talked about more? Brent’s voice is incredible and the rest of the band is extremely talented. One of the few bands where I could listen to every song they have put out and not skip one. 

Listen to songs like 45, What a Shame, I’ll Follow You and sooooo many more and tell me they aren’t incredible. (Especially live/acoustic versions of 45.. haunting)

I have seen them live twice and it’s beautiful. The kind of show where you never want it to end and your hair is standing up on your arms the entire time. 
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    edited August 2020
    And not to mention... 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.billboard.com/amp/articles/business/chart-beat/9435712/shinedown-mainstream-rock-songs-no-1-record-atlas-falls

“A presence on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Songsairplay chart since the early 2000s, Shinedown breaks the record for the most No. 1s in the chart's nearly 40-year history.

The Florida band's latest single, "Atlas Falls," rises 2-1 to become Shinedown's 16th No. 1 on the ranking dated Aug. 22.“

Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016