Boring drummers?

2»

Comments

• KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Agreed, with soundgarden he was good, his stuff in Wellwater Conspiracy is awesome, but with PJ he's really shit, bring back Jack thats what i say.
    Matt is a great live drummer, maybe the best PJ had. But his studio performances (with Pearl Jam) are pretty weak yes.
  • ok, maybe saying he's really shit is a bit of an overstatement but compared to the rest of the band he definately is the weakest link. I would say, live, Dave A was the best drummer Pearl Jam had.
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    Klumpie wrote:
    Danny Carey, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Matt Cameron, Dave Lombardo, Jimmy Chamberlin & Neil Peart.
    parel jam wrote:
    Roger Taylor of Queen...

These are boring drummers? WTF did I miss?
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    intodeep wrote:
    Meg white is boring. Sorry.

Leave her alone,she's pretty fit.
    Surprised no-one has mentioned the Def Leppard drummer,then again he's "HARMLESS".....:):):):););)
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • ok, maybe saying he's really shit is a bit of an overstatement but compared to the rest of the band he definately is the weakest link. I would say, live, Dave A was the best drummer Pearl Jam had.

His drum solo during Even Flow in Perth was the highlight of the show. I guess he is happy to just cruise in the studio which is pretty sad considering he was one of the most innovative drummers of the 90's.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    what about Ringo ´beatles´? was such a great drummer, He was criticized for not being able to play a drumroll, yet his perfect fills and timing really made some of the Beatles songs special, On "Strawberry Fields Forever" his fills are almost musical...
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    Peter C wrote:
    Leave her alone,she's pretty fit.
    Surprised no-one has mentioned the Def Leppard drummer,then again he's "HARMLESS".....:):):):););)
    Ha, ha, ha, nice...
  • trammeustrammeus Posts: 124
    jammerfall wrote:
    These are boring drummers? WTF did I miss?

Roger Taylor surely.

I play so much better with one hand, and with the chinese sticks than the Linkin Park drummer.

This one is NOT boring:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMDcG3zAEI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT95gQ0T0bY&mode=related&search=
    (Zach Hill from Hella)
    Verona 93 - Milan 96 - Barcelona 96 - Verona 00 - Milan 00 - Turin 06 - Berlin 06 - Lisbon 07 - Madrid 07 - Katowice 07 - London 07 - Werchter 07
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    Klumpie wrote:
    Danny Carey, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Matt Cameron, Dave Lombardo, Jimmy Chamberlin & Neil Peart.

neil peart? boring? he is the only drummer who should be allowed to do a drum solo! i wouldn't class any of those others as boring either... you are talking top of the tree as far as drummers go. i'd love to know who Klumpie considers to be an interesting drummer.
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Arctangent wrote:
    i'd love to know who Klumpie considers to be an interesting drummer.
    Scott Phillips and Daniel Patrick Adair are the best drummers ever. :)

OK, enough jokes about drummers. ;)
  • JerzdevilJerzdevil Posts: 59
    I always thought Radiohead's Phil Selway was a unique drummer (Myxomatosis, etc). I'm not a Beatles lover, but Ringo Starr is really cool. Danny Carey of course is really good. Dave Grohl on "In Utero" was great (the mixing/production of the drums on that album was awesome). The drummer (or one of them) from the Melvins was interesting. ?uestlove is one of my favorites, too. I love his drum sound on "Game Theory".

I find most drummers boring. There are very few that I actually take note of.
    I believe the children are our future... unless we stop them now...
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    tonadax wrote:
    what about Ringo ´beatles´? was such a great drummer, He was criticized for not being able to play a drumroll, yet his perfect fills and timing really made some of the Beatles songs special, On "Strawberry Fields Forever" his fills are almost musical...

Was it John Lennon who said that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles? A cool guy, agreed.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    ok, maybe saying he's really shit is a bit of an overstatement but compared to the rest of the band he definately is the weakest link. I would say, live, Dave A was the best drummer Pearl Jam had.

Just listen to the Gorge shows. Matt C. is the consumate professional while Ed and Mike are constantly fucking up. I still love them but as a musician I'm telling you Matt is easily the most solid link in the band. Every single member of PJ would tell you the exact same thing. Too bad they don't record him properly on the studio efforts...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Just listen to the Gorge shows. Matt C. is the consumate professional while Ed and Mike are constantly fucking up. I still love them but as a musician I'm telling you Matt is easily the most solid link in the band. Every single member of PJ would tell you the exact same thing. Too bad they don't record him properly on the studio efforts...

I think the BEST Matt ever sound is on the recordings. And sometimes when he plays live. But songs like Grievance and LBC and many others - he slowly removes drum parts, until he's playing a much more basic beat.

Example:
    Listen to the recorded version of Love Boat Captain.
    -tom hits in particular. Count them.
    Then listen to Gorge.
    -most of the tom hits were removed.

Similar with Grivance.

Similar with anything from the Dave A era. I also don't like, at all, songs that I used to love, because Matt either can't or chooses not to perform them "well".

Blood - his timing is off.
    SOLAT - his fills and cymbal hits are just not good at all. Even the pre-Dave drummer did it much better than Matt.
    Not For You - even this basic song - Matt is too loose sounding. Extra bass drum hits, as opposed to Dave's metronome-like style with a lot of simple bass drum hits.
    Evenflow - man, I don't even know where to start.

I could list at least a dozen songs which I used to love, but wish they would permanently bury.

Matt has great plusses, but also has many negatives.

...I call 'em as I see 'em.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I think the BEST Matt ever sound is on the recordings. And sometimes when he plays live. But songs like Grievance and LBC and many others - he slowly removes drum parts, until he's playing a much more basic beat.

Example:
    Listen to the recorded version of Love Boat Captain.
    -tom hits in particular. Count them.
    Then listen to Gorge.
    -most of the tom hits were removed.

Similar with Grivance.

Similar with anything from the Dave A era. I also don't like, at all, songs that I used to love, because Matt either can't or chooses not to perform them "well".

Blood - his timing is off.
    SOLAT - his fills and cymbal hits are just not good at all. Even the pre-Dave drummer did it much better than Matt.
    Not For You - even this basic song - Matt is too loose sounding. Extra bass drum hits, as opposed to Dave's metronome-like style with a lot of simple bass drum hits.
    Evenflow - man, I don't even know where to start.

I could list at least a dozen songs which I used to love, but wish they would permanently bury.

Matt has great plusses, but also has many negatives.

...I call 'em as I see 'em.

Well, I call them as I hear them. Like Matt, my little brother was trained by a jazz musician and they tend to play songs differently all the time. I've been listening to great drummers, way better than 95% of all rock drummers, from an early age. My little bro is particularly bad about being spontaneous. No song my band plays ever sounds the same way twice, which at times is super cool and other times quite frustrating. That being said, Matt doesn't change things up nearly as much as my drummer.

Great live drummers will try new and different things all the time and sometimes that even means making a beat less complicated, other times it means changing it altogether; sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. And sometimes they try new or different things because of the way another band member is playing a given song.

Matt can do absolutely anything he wants on the drum, he just has to make sure he doesn't leave the rest of PJ in the dust. And he has had to dumb down his style considerably just to fit in with PJ. There is a reason Dave A. and every other credible drummer I have ever known refers to Matt C. as a God.

• lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    tonadax wrote:
    I've always found U2's Larry Mullen Jr. to be the most boring drummer ever.

during this last "Vertigo" tour, he looked like he was in excruciating pain throughout EVERY performance..

I've been following U2 since 1982 and I hope he just quits the band..

put him outta his misery already..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
    eyedclaar wrote:
    There is a reason Dave A. and every other credible drummer I have ever known refers to Matt C. as a God.

I've been playing 22 years - but hey, according to you, either I'm not a credible drummer, or I must be the only drummer who doesn't prefer Matt on many songs.

He's a great drummer - I'm a big fan of his. And I'm a fan of "changing it up" but there are songs he simply doesn't play well. period.

I heard in 2000 the soundcheck at Jones Beach where they played Garden. The REAL version of Garden, and while he was doing "ok" for parts of it, he was screwing up the changes. Other songs, like Blood, Dave used to follow the guitarist's timing on his cymbal hits, and Matt has gone for a simple "1234" count. Rats - he doesn't have it. He's "ok", but that's being generous.

Again - I'm a huge fan of what he's done with Pearl Jam in the studio, and with Soundgarden.

If Ed were replaced by Thom Yorke, I'd still say I prefer Ed, even though technically Thom is a "better" singer.

and for those of you who prefer Matt on all songs - god bless you. truely. because you are the ones not "missing" anything when you hear them live.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    My two cents on Matt is that I thought he was great with Soundgarden, works very good with Pearl jam live but is not a good mesh with PJ and especially for writing songs. Stone is a groove oriented type of player and Matt is everything but a groove drummer. Matt can play funky time patterns but Stone can't groove to them. I find Matt's drumming when it works in studio is phenominal and other times it's plain awful and get the feeling he has no feel at all for certain songs. Case in point, Come Back ... what the hell is he doing playng a military style beat on his high-hat? Does he not hear what Jeff, Stone and Boom are laying down?
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
    For the record, I wasn't trying to diss you as a drummer. However, I know plenty of guys that have been playing for 20 + years and they still suck. They never took lessons, they equate playing well with hitting a drum hard and hell, most rock drummers don't even hold their sticks correctly.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree here. I find Matt's playing considerably better than Dave A. even on the old material and light years ahead of Jack.

eyedclaar wrote:
    For the record, I wasn't trying to diss you as a drummer. However, I know plenty of guys that have been playing for 20 + years and they still suck. They never took lessons, they equate playing well with hitting a drum hard and hell, most rock drummers don't even hold their sticks correctly.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree here. I find Matt's playing considerably better than Dave A. even on the old material and light years ahead of Jack.

Oh - I know you don't know me, nor that I'm a drummer. No offense man. :)

I'm cool with "agreeing to disagree". Its simply a matter of preference.

I have a strong preference because I covered so many PJ songs in so many bands, and I paid super close attention when the drum parts changed as the drummers changed.

I simply loved the way Dave played Porch, SOLAT, Evenflow, Jeremy, Garden, and a ton of other songs fit the bill better. It was like listening to pure lightning. Those songs used to make my heart feel passion and adrenaline, as opposed to now.

A couple of songs I prefer Matt's version of, like on Black... but most the rest of their early songs now - make me very sad inside, when I hear how different they are. To me they are different songs.

One of my best friends who was in a band with me (guitar) and who is a huge PJ fan didn't find much of a difference between Jack and Dave - so there are those that either don't notice, or don't have a preference.

My other friend who is a casual fan of PJ (he couldnt name most songs) said he thought Matt sounded like a kid - implying Matt played very simply.

When PJ hired Matt, I had a conversation in private with Ben Harper's drummer Dean Butterworth who was opening for them a few months earlier. We both felt the same - like a big "what the hell? - dave was great with them". And Ben Harper's drummer (from the late 90's) is an amazingly talented and accomplished drummer. So, accomplished drummers, including this one which knows PJ personally, have expressed a preference for Dave.

But again, to each his own.