Boring drummers?

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited June 2007 in Other Music
I've always found U2's Larry Mullen Jr. to be the most boring drummer ever. He is good, but plays with the same feel over and over

brad wilk work on audioslave was soo boring and weak

Meg White is one of the worst drummers I have heard, It's lucky that her ineptitudes fit in with the White Stripes' minimalist style
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    I always go for drummers with their own unique sound like Taylor Hawkins (Taylor Hawkins and the Coattail Riders, Foo Fighters), Matt Cameron, Stewart Copeland, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Dave Grohl, Roger Taylor, Nathan Followill. Drummers I find boring are not the least technical but the ones who sound like a drum Machine.
  • Get the new Frank Zappa CD "Buffalo" if you want to hear the greatest drummer on the planet in his prime. (His name is Vinnie Colaiuta.)
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    I second Meg White. Jack should ditch meg and become "The White Stripe plus a Drum Machine"

After Brant Bjork left, Kyuss got a really, really bad replacement drummer. Can't remember his name.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Well regarding the white stripes comment, Yes Megs style is pretty simple, but she is perfect for the white stripes garage rock type influential sound. I honestly think this is personally the way that Jack and Meg wanted the band to be percieved. The white stripes are one of myfavorite bands, so maybe I'm a little biased. She is perfect for their style. But for any other band, I agree the drumming is pretty basic, not much skill involved, and would not work very well in a band seeking another musical direction like NIN, or something.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Chad Smith is managing to sound blander in his old age, despite the fact he COULD pull out all the stops if he wanted to.

I made a comment the other day that I would be falling asleep behind the kit if I was the guy who played for Snow Patrol. I'm not sure it's his fault, but again, he could lift their music if he wanted to.

Stereophonics drumming has always been rubbish.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Meg White is a pretty bad drummer, but now it would be weird for her to be replaced in the white stripes, her drummer and Jacks sound fit together perfectly i think (although im not a huge fan).

Chad Smith has become pretty laboured in his drumming, he's not really trying to change anything, which is a shame.

Stereophonics have shit guitar, singer and bass players too... so their drummers fit in well. :D
  • chris01 wrote:
    Stereophonics have shit guitar, singer and bass players too... so their drummers fit in well. :D

Ah, 'tis true.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    chris01 wrote:

Kelly Jones is so not a shit singer! Local Boy In The Photograph is a great vocal performance.
  • larslars Posts: 524
    drummers are not boring. They rule
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    lars wrote:
    drummers are not boring. They rule

Meg white is boring. Sorry.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Kelly Jones is so not a shit singer! Local Boy In The Photograph is a great vocal performance.

Sorry but his voice really bugs me, always sounds like he's about to fall asleep.
  • larslars Posts: 524
    intodeep wrote:
    Meg white is boring. Sorry.
    She´s more boring than a drum machine
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • The Rolling Stones drummer always bored me.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    tonadax wrote:
    I've always found U2's Larry Mullen Jr. to be the most boring drummer ever. He is good, but plays with the same feel over and over

brad wilk work on audioslave was soo boring and weak

Meg White is one of the worst drummers I have heard, It's lucky that her ineptitudes fit in with the White Stripes' minimalist style

agreed
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    meg white is terrible, but she works fine in the stripes.

I've never liked Brad Wilk, Matt Cameron (let the flaming begin) or Larry Mullen particularly.

John Bonham is the greatest. Period
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    edved82 wrote:
    I've never liked , Matt Cameron (let the flaming begin)
    Not even his soundgarden work? I do like a lot of his drumming on the new album but i found riot act and binaural to be a let down as far as matt's drumming went.

I have always loved his drumming with soundgarden. Particularly the work on badmoterfinger. Do you not like that either?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Do you think Matt Cameron is shit or is it just not to your taste? And i agree that Meg White is the world's shittest drummmer.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    intodeep wrote:
    Not even his soundgarden work? I do like a lot of his drumming on the new album but i found riot act and binaural to be a let down as far as matt's drumming went.

I have always loved his drumming with soundgarden. Particularly the work on badmoterfinger. Do you not like that either?

yeah he's fine in soundgarden, but i have totally gone off him since he joined PJ. Far too many stupid drum fills.

talented guy, good technical drummer i'm sure but just not to my taste at all!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Zak Starkey of The Who and Oasis
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    I second Meg White. Jack should ditch meg and become "The White Stripe plus a Drum Machine"

After Brant Bjork left, Kyuss got a really, really bad replacement drummer. Can't remember his name.

was that Alfredo Hernandez?
  • Most boring drummer? Ed Graham from The Darkness. Nothing special there.
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    phil rudd from ACDC. he's like larry mullen jr. Both fit their bands well but really don't do anything overly impressive.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Charly Watts is the most
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Danny Carey, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Matt Cameron, Dave Lombardo, Jimmy Chamberlin & Neil Peart.
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Klumpie wrote:
    Danny Carey, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Matt Cameron, Dave Lombardo, Jimmy Chamberlin & Neil Peart.

Thank you. That made me laugh.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Roger Taylor of Queen...
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Zak Starkey of The Who and Oasis
    I saw him with the Who a couple of weeks back. Imo he was definitely a good drummer. Lots better than his father...

Maybe he plays crap with Oasis :)
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • keyser_sozekeyser_soze Posts: 205
    i'm not a big fan of matt cameron to be honest. he was quality in soundgarden but don't like it in pearl jam.

preffered jack and dave a.

the music they wrote with jack was their best imo.

anyway why the negative energy

let's talk about the awesome drummers like:

jimmy chamberlain, josh freese, john bonham, keith moon, danny carey, abe cunningham, murph, steve shelley (is that the sonic youth guys name?)
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • i really rate matt cameron....really rate. chad smith has lost his 'vibe', but that is in part due to the chilis change in outlook. will champion from coldplay plays it pretty 'safe'.
    'we were coming close to being on lunchboxes'- e.v 2000
  • edved82 wrote:
    yeah he's fine in soundgarden, but i have totally gone off him since he joined PJ. Far too many stupid drum fills.

talented guy, good technical drummer i'm sure but just not to my taste at all!

Agreed, with soundgarden he was good, his stuff in Wellwater Conspiracy is awesome, but with PJ he's really shit, bring back Jack thats what i say.