Is There Any Artist Bigger or Better than the Beatles?

Comments

• superdeluxesuperdeluxe Posts: 119
    Hasnt Garth Brooks sold more records?
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Hasnt Garth Brooks sold more records?

no the Beatles have sold more, and if we're going by record sales, Bon Jovi has sold more than Pearl Jam...thus record sales aren't a very good thing to go by
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • No band will ever write better songs more consistantly than the Beatles. Period.

You may like others better, but in all reality the Beatles are the kings.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • no the Beatles have sold more, and if we're going by record sales, Bon Jovi has sold more than Pearl Jam...thus record sales aren't a very good thing to go by
    and in any case I'm pretty sure the Beatles hold some kind of record for that..

Hendrix was not even close to as good of a songwriter as the Beatles. Sure he kicked their asses in the guitar dept. abd he was great, but he just wasn't up to the standards of Lennon/McCartney.

"Make our day"
  • dirtyT wrote:
    Good call, Elvis is bigger, way bigger than the Beatles.
    No way in hell dude. Think about it. No one gives a fuck about Elvis anymore but the Beatles are STILL one of, if not the most popular band in the world today.

Elvis was (key word) really important but he had nothing on the Beatles.

"Make our day"
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    No way in hell dude. Think about it. No one gives a fuck about Elvis anymore but the Beatles are STILL one of, if not the most popular band in the world today.

I don't know about that. Graceland is still one of the biggest visited attractions in the world each year. Every year on his birthday, every channel has a Elvis marathon, and I am pretty sure, not 100%, but pretty sure that Elvis still sells more merchantdise per year than any other atrist, as far as shirts ans shit like that. To say no one gives a fuck about him any more is entirely inaccurate. IMO.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16

By the way, I agree the Beatles are better than Elvis, for the record.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • dirtyT wrote:
    Oh I got that from your post. I'm not angry at all despite all the cursing :p

The beatles always just seemed (appropraitely) to transcend any kind of human limitation. Like nobody can come closer than second to them. To me at least..

"Make our day"
  • E.BloomE.Bloom Posts: 188
    In my opinion The Beatles are way bigger and better than Elvis..
    But, from my personal point of view an artist like Bruce Springsteen is much better than both.. Springsteen is a legend, and the king and god of rock;)
    I`m sure many of you don`t share my view;)
    we were but stones,your light made us stars

Dublin 06
    London 07
    Oh I got that from your post. I'm not angry at all despite all the cursing :p

The beatles always just seemed (appropraitely) to transcend any kind of human limitation. Like nobody can come closer than second to them. To me at least..
    Yes, excuse my potty mouth!!!!
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    The Beatles are the most popular recording artists of all time, no one can deny that. However in my opinion, to be a great band you have to have a live reputation to match, or exceed, your recorded output. When the Beatles opted out of live performances in 1966 we were denied the chance of seeing the most interesting period of their recorded work in concert.
    Sgt Pepper, The White album, how much of this could they have payed live? As a four piece, probably very little. With additional musicians and some kind of orchestra behind them, probably quite a bit. I'm sure it would have been mind blowing, but we'll never know.
    The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Floyd are just a handful of truly great bands, with their roots in the 60's, who made great records and played great live gigs to match. The Beatles chose not to give us the live experience, so in my opinion greatest / most popular recording artist of all time? Yes. Greatest band? No.
  • Judging from the amount of posts about him on this board, I'm surprised no one has claimed Chris Cornell as being bigger and better than the Beatles.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Judging from the amount of posts about him on this board, I'm surprised no one has claimed Chris Cornell as being bigger and better than the Beatles.

hahahah laugh my fucking ass off my brother!
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    dirtyT wrote:

ya i never got into elvis, tho there are alot who still do.. hey i just saw elvis at a pawn shop today as a matter of fact. actually some dude who is elvis at nite...
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    dirtyT wrote:
    Good call, Elvis is bigger, way bigger than the Beatles.

he was a great singer... but all he ever wrote was cheques for deep fat fryers though..

The Beatles wrote songs in their sleep they were that prolific... a fat guy in a sequined jumpsuit eating himself to death is no match for the Beatles.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    Fender_Man wrote:
    The Beatles are the most popular recording artists of all time, no one can deny that. However in my opinion, to be a great band you have to have a live reputation to match, or exceed, your recorded output. When the Beatles opted out of live performances in 1966 we were denied the chance of seeing the most interesting period of their recorded work in concert.
    Sgt Pepper, The White album, how much of this could they have payed live? As a four piece, probably very little. With additional musicians and some kind of orchestra behind them, probably quite a bit. I'm sure it would have been mind blowing, but we'll never know.
    The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Floyd are just a handful of truly great bands, with their roots in the 60's, who made great records and played great live gigs to match. The Beatles chose not to give us the live experience, so in my opinion greatest / most popular recording artist of all time? Yes. Greatest band? No.

Very good point about the live show. Actually, that is a great point of view.
    dunkman wrote:
    he was a great singer... but all he ever wrote was cheques for deep fat fryers though..

The Beatles wrote songs in their sleep they were that prolific... a fat guy in a sequined jumpsuit eating himself to death is no match for the Beatles.
    I never argued who was better, I said who was bigger. Elvis is still huge as are the Beatles.

And actually, 90% of Elvis songs, music and lyrics, were not written by him.
  • JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    Elvis is just as big.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    dirtyT wrote:

And actually, 90% of Elvis songs, music and lyrics, were not written by him.

i know that.. i said that on my post :confused:

I believe he co-wrote 2 out of the many hundreds of songs he recorded.... thats shite... The Beatles gave their songs away they had that many
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    i know that.. i said that on my post :confused:

I believe he co-wrote 2 out of the many hundreds of songs he recorded.... thats shite... The Beatles gave their songs away they had that many
    you did, my bad!!
  • robfest2robfest2 Posts: 594
    Elvis Presley AND

Pearl Jam
  • In my opinion, the Beatles are the greatest collection of SONGWRITERS ever assembled in one rock band. Fuck, listening to Abbey Road is like listening any other band on the planet's greatest hits. The person who said they could write great songs in their sleep was dead on - and yeah, you could criticize Paul for being schamltzy compared to John or even George (and you'd be right), but that's only cause he was in the same band as them! Kurt Cobain, Eddie Vedder, or even the beloved Chris Cornell could never ever write anything as good as Helter Skelter or Oh, Darling, so yeah, even Paul kicks major ass (he is terribly underated as a bass player, though. Listen to George's "Something" from Abbey Road. Best. Bassline. Ever.)

As far as tightest band or live band or whatever, yeah, that would probably be Zeppelin.
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.
  • TheEvolutionTheEvolution Posts: 143
    Zeppelin, and Pearl Jam just behind the Beatles, and i'm not even but beatles fan but they have made some damn fine music. But Zeppelin is the only band who i think ran their career as close to perfect as you can get.
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
    Zeppelin, and Pearl Jam just behind the Beatles, and i'm not even but beatles fan but they have made some damn fine music. But Zeppelin is the only band who i think ran their career as close to perfect as you can get.
    The Stones have been together for 40 plus years, touring all the time and making great new music and selling out 100,000 plus venues throughout that span. Tell me that any other band has run or ran their career better. No one has. Break-ups, or egos, or just plain losing fan base has caused a lot of great bands, The Beatles, Zepplin, to fall short in a lot of ways, compared to the Stones, my opinion.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    The Beatles spent a solid three years on the road and for the most part they couldn't hear themselves. They finished as a band in 69 (in the studio) and hadn't the equipment at the time to hear how good or bad they sounded.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    Bigger than the Beatles, let's see: Jacko sold more copies of a particular album, the Who were louder, Led Zeppelin was taller, the Stones lasted longer, the Beach Boys sang better harmonies, the Airplane and the Dead were more psychedelic. There are drummers better than Ringo; there are guitarists better than George and John; there might be one or two multi-instrumentalists to match Paul. BUT no one has been able to put all that together into one act. As for doubters, just listen to The White Album. Face it, the Beatles did every style of popular music on just that one album, if not in their career. They're the best because their songwriting and producing remains the best...
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I have heard some HORRIBLE Zeppelin boots though. My god.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    tonadax wrote:
    no musical act is even close to topping the beatles, their music will live on thru the ages, what dou you think...
    Stones, Zeppelin, Who, Floyd, Doors, Hendrix - they're all better.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫