Is There Any Artist Bigger or Better than the Beatles?

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited July 2007 in Other Music
no musical act is even close to topping the beatles, their music will live on thru the ages, what dou you think...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rcsrcs Posts: 711
    The Beatles are the classical music of our age. Their music will live on for centuries. imo
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    I think that The Stones and Zeppelin are better than the Beatles. I'll take the first 4 Zeppelin albums and the Stones streak from 68-72 over anything The Beatles ever put out. I like a lot of the John Lennon songs from The Beatles, but I fucking hate all Paul McCartney's cheesy ballads and love songs.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Matty Boy wrote:
    but I fucking hate all Paul McCartney's cheesy ballads and love songs.

Helter Skelter
    Why Dont we do it on the road
    Oh Darling

re-listen to these
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • IsilmeIsilme Posts: 8
    Beatles is the best that ever came out of drugs!
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Not a fan, but I think the Beatles will be always remembered as the biggest music band ever, never forgotten as long as there is life and music.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    No. No one comes close.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I think there are loads that are better, starting with Zeppelin and Pearl Jam.
  • I'd put Hendrix before The Beatles, but no-one else.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    dunkman wrote:
    Helter Skelter
    Why Dont we do it on the road
    Oh Darling

re-listen to these

Re-listen "I Want You", the best song off Abbey Road, and that album all-around is incredible. "Get Back" off Let it Be also.

I honestly believe No One tops the Beatles. They were the most innovative and influential bands, ever.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I don't think that any band came close to the quality of output that the beatles put out. the stones had a period of good albums(not great though) while Zeppelins had a higher rate that the stones but not enough material on albums to beat the beatles.

Even their CASTaways were great songs
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    Yeah I think there are better musicians. Maybe not as "big" because there will always be fucking lame idiots that think the beatles were the damn best band ever, but there are better bands.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    I feel ashamed that I forgot Hendrix. He absolutely wipes the floor with The Beatles. The Doors and CCR are another couple of bands that are better than The Beatles. I'll take quality over quantity any day and The Doors self titled album and Cosmos Factory are both better than any Beatles album. All of you people who think The Beatles are the best have been brainwashed by the media over the years. Give me Sympathy For The Devil, Light My Fire, Fortunate Son, Voodoo Chile (Slight Return), and Kashmir over any song the Beatles ever made.
  • Bigger....no. Better. Yes.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    giving a thread a title like "Is There Any Artist Bigger or Better than the Beatles?" just gives haters a reason to hate.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    They are the foundation on which everything that followed is based upon.....bigger? no, we will never see an act reach across the demographics in the fashion that they originally did. better? that will always be subjective.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    tybird wrote:
    They are the foundation on which everything that followed is based upon.....bigger? no, we will never see an act reach across the demographics in the fashion that they originally did. better? that will always be subjective.

right on. an example of their influence is in the fact that when they failed their first audition (at Decca Records), they were told by the owner that "guitar bands were on their way out." and perhaps they were. but once the Beatles hit big, it opened it up for guitar driven bands like the Rolling Stones and the Yardbirds. which led to Hendrix and Zep and stuff like that so on and so forth. Guys like Elvis, Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry were big influences on the Beatles...but around 1962 or so, their popularity was running low. the Beatles kept the grand tradition alive. they were like Elvis and Chuck Berry on speed.

edit: or maybe Elvis and Chuck Berry on LSD would be a more accurate description
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Just watched the Larry King interview with Paul, Ringo, Yoko and George's widow. We had taped it but hadn't watched it yet as. Ringo is hilarious. Great interplay between he and Paul. Not sure of the show in Vegas. Definitely it's not our style. Still, loved the show. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • TwatayTwatay Posts: 64
    bigger? no.

better? surely.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    bigger no better yes there are few, pink floyd and the clash are few bands that comes to mind.just cause the beatles were the first doesnt make them the best. there were bigger cause of how much of a riot they cause here in america, hell lennon was on the us govt spy list. hell when they played shea stadium in 64 the dam place nearly collapsed
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    well, let me see.......

led zeppelin were 10 times bigger in sound, and imo without a doubt
    better musos.

so to answer your question, yeah most probably.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,901
    i don't think any band will be as beloved as the beatles as far as the majority of the world is concerned. they came along at the perfect time, and for lack of a better phrase, the stars were aligned for them. also, history is on their side and people look back at them with fondness. as far as a better band, there's one that has surpassed them in my eyes...pearl jam.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Meatloaf was pretty F'in Big & Fat.
    NERDS!
  • larslars Posts: 524
    E-type
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
    lars wrote:
    E-type

laugh out loud my brother

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    lars wrote:
    E-type

the silver shiny dick

• donravendonraven Posts: 139
    Not that im a huge fan but what about:

Elvis?? The king of rock and roll???
    Boston, MA - Sept 28, 2004
    Halifax, NS - Sept 22, 2005
    Toronto, ON - August 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON - Sept 11, 2011
    Toronto, ON - Sept 12, 2011
    London, ON - July 16, 2013
    Boston, MA - Aug 7, 2016
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    there will always be fucking lame idiots that think the beatles were the damn best band ever, but there are better bands.

well the lame idiots seem to be outnumbering the (smart people?) by a landslide. so maybe they aren't lame idiots. maybe it's you......anyway the beatles aren't my favorite band ever, but they will go down as the best band ever and i have no problem with it. they were the biggest and most influential band of all time. not only did they not put out a single bad album, but everything they have done is classic. you could make an argument for at least 3 of their albums that it's the greatest album of all time. i don't know too many bands that can say that.
    and for the naysayers argument.....yes there are better musicians than the fab four, they just didn't put out the same consistent quality as the beatles. no one can touch the beatles. anyway i think the main point of this is asking is there any band bigger than the beatles. the answer to that is no and NO ONE can argue with that. that doesn't even come down to opinion.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I'd put Hendrix before The Beatles, but no-one else.
    But Jimmi really had only a three album output and he was in a bit of crisis before he died.
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Bigger?? The Beatles are a mainstream wet dream.

Better?? Without question. The Beatles first few albums was the Backstreet Boys of the 60's. IN MY OPINION, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin are far superior bands. The argument over which of those 2 is better than to say the Beatles are the Best Band.

I compare the Beatles to Nirvana. The blew up their style of music and created a musical revolution with a couple hits, but the bands that spawned from their success shortly after are much better bands.

In my admitted, very bias opinion, Pearl Jam is a better band than the Beatles.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    donraven wrote:
    Not that im a huge fan but what about:

Elvis?? The king of rock and roll???
    Good call, Elvis is bigger, way bigger than the Beatles.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16