Pink Floyd or The Who

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Perhaps,different styles of music,but bottom line, both "classic" rock groups...They are very popular threads here and figured I'd toss this out...
For me The Who, but Pink Floyd not far behind...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    tonadax wrote:
    Perhaps,different styles of music,but bottom line, both "classic" rock groups...They are very popular threads here and figured I'd toss this out...
    For me The Who, but Pink Floyd not far behind...

I agree. I don't know if the Who are "more talented", but their music does it for me more than Floyd's.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Probably a tie, The Who are often more accessible for me but Pink Floyd made some brilliant music
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    Floyd by a mile for me.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    The Who for me.

With that said, Animals is one of my favorite albums. Best PF album.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Pink Floyd. No question for me.

I like The Who and I'm getting into them more and more but they'll never equal Pink Floyd in my world. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    It's really, really hard to beat the Who live.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    pink floyd
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Floyd hands down. Sorry Pete.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I think Pink Floyd had music that was more precise and calculated than the Who, but the Who made some of the first 'modern' rock and roll music. So it's a tie for me.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • inthefleshintheflesh Posts: 170
    Easily Floyd...The Who is a great band though.
    was it?....
    The Who has a BIG handful of great b-sides...

Obscured By Clouds is very under-rated.
  • I think Roger Waters writes really good lyrics. Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut" is one of my favorite albums! Seems like most people write off that album is crap.

I don't know however you can really compair Pink Floyd and The Who. Both are amazing bands... (Well Pink Floyd was until Roger Waters left, then they just got boring...)
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    It would be The Who for me, no question. Have never gotten into Pink Floyd though I gave it a try.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Probably a tie, The Who are often more accessible for me but Pink Floyd made some brilliant music

yeah I agree...I respect the hell out of both bands...but the who is just easier to listen to for me
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Pink Floyd for me - no question about it.

Seeing them in 1994 play "Dark Side of the Moon" in its entirety was one of my all-time greatest concert moments. It would have been better if Roger was with them then, but Gilmore did a fantastic job.
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    To me, these bands aren't even comparable. Pink Floyd is not classic rock...they were way ahead of their time...totally a progressive rock band.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    long red wrote:
    Floyd by a mile for me.

The Who are okay. they were a good band

Pink Floyd was fuckin awesome :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,256
    well i've seen them both as complete bands not what has toured around the last 2 yrs or so i mean full line up's and the only way i can put into perspective is .

when tripping on acid i enjoyed the FLOYD shows in it's full potential .....

THE WHO shows i attended were allways spectacular just for the power of the show itself a bit more roudy but just more motion with PETE jumping all over the stage and ROGER TWIRLING that mike around and MOON on drums total nut case .....but if i'm at home zonning out a bit stoned i would put on a FLOYD ALBUM
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • ugh this is pure opinion.

mine is The Who. :)
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • CornishManCornishMan Posts: 447
    The Who, but only just! :)
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022, Manchester 2024.
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    Floyd by a long shot
    Just me
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Floyd for me by a long shot
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    The Who by a long shot:)
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Pink Floyd
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    If you were fortunate enough to see The Who perform live between 1971 and 1980... you would say, "The Who... hands down".
    And this is coming from a guy who saw the 'Wish You Were Here', 'Animals' and 'The Wall' tours... all great, GREAT shows that are near the top. Notice, I said **Near** the top... because at the Top is The Who in their prime.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • 2 amazing bands... but I never got into Pink Floyd like I did the Who
  • both are amazing bands and are completely different from one another.

but if this is the game we're playing, for me it's floyd by a mile.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I got to say the who. Mainly because I have seen them live twice, and even with new touring members, they put on the best live show. I'm glad I have dvds to relive the crowd magic and the great songs they played.

I really didn't get into Floyd until a few years ago, and I only have Dark side, and the wall. Aside from those two albums, and the single "wish you were here" I really don't know much else.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Pink Floyd.

Although live Who kicks ass.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Depends on my mood.....really.....it's a toss-up here....now back to the studio.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.